LegacyGT.com

5EAT "Mad Scientist" Idea & Test Thread

ClimberDHexMods

What we did to LT. columbos transmission is not a secret, it wasn't easy but there is no reason to keep it a secret. I will get an exact breakdown of what we did for you guys this week. And i will tell you this.. from what i know about IPT, they arent really doing anything in their $5000 tranny job, the parts they are using are just stock parts for the 5eat, i'm pretty sure it would cost you about $650 in parts to build an ipt unit with what they use, they are just hopeing that your transmission dosn't fail right away. And if it does fail, its still not costing them very much to rebuild it again, they will still be making a profit. I also was not very impressed with the IPT valve body that I installed for LT. columbo, especially when his tranny took a shit on him so soon after.

What do you have to say about a trans go shift kit for us then? How much would one be plus install? What would you recommended us for our 5eat?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What we did to LT. columbos transmission is not a secret, it wasn't easy but there is no reason to keep it a secret. I will get an exact breakdown of what we did for you guys this week. And i will tell you this.. from what i know about IPT, they arent really doing anything in their $5000 tranny job, the parts they are using are just stock parts for the 5eat, i'm pretty sure it would cost you about $650 in parts to build an ipt unit with what they use, they are just hopeing that your transmission dosn't fail right away. And if it does fail, its still not costing them very much to rebuild it again, they will still be making a profit. I also was not very impressed with the IPT valve body that I installed for LT. columbo, especially when his tranny took a shit on him so soon after.

Have you disassembled an IPT built transmission? As an owner of an IPT built transmission, I can tell you it is definitely not a stock build. If your going to try to sell your services to the Subaru crowd you will need to validate your claims of building a better transmission. And not by just verbally bashing your competition. So far I have not met one person on this forum with an IPT transmission that has had any problems.

Rick, i am sorry if i offended you somehow, I have never pulled an IPT transmission apart. when i asked them what they are putting in their transmissions, they told me they are using raybestos clutches. those are what come in stock rebuild kits. so as far as i know they are rebuilding with stock parts. Their valve body did not impress me, it ruined a transmission in no time at all. however i do not know what that valve body would have done with one of their transmissions and not a stock unit with 30k on it.

Another thing, I am NOT trying to sell anything to anyone here. I merely work at the shop where columbo had his work done. I make an hourly wage to work on transmissions, nothing else. the only thing i was offering was to help anyone who wanted there tranny built a way to contact the shop or to shed more light on what we did to columbo's tranny. most of my knowledge of IPT is from the volkswagen/audi scene and i know some guys who have been less than happy with the results they have seen by going with the ipt build. that is all i'm saying.

since you are an owner of an IPT unit can you tell me what is done to it? i would honestly like to know.

Have you disassembled an IPT built transmission? As an owner of an IPT built transmission, I can tell you it is definitely not a stock build. If your going to try to sell your services to the Subaru crowd you will need to validate your claims of building a better transmission. And not by just verbally bashing your competition. So far I have not met one person on this forum with an IPT transmission that has had any problems.

To be objective, that guy in SoCal with the jdm twinscroll setup and the IPT built 5eat had his pressure plate or whatever it was basically strip loose. IPT warranty replaced it. He said their valve body was slamming shifts thus causing the break, but he also said IPT corrected the valve body and he's happy after the back and forth was over. Not much of his statement makes much sense to my understanding of the transmission, but this is what he said.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

IPT had to tinker a lot with the valve body, from my understanding, to find the happy medium between not tripping the electronics in the transmission and shifting firm without jerking.

Paul, I'm always interested in hearing other's opinion regarding the IPT units. What did not impress you in the valve body? Can you tell, for example, what was modified? What would you have done differently? I am happy with how mine is performing but there's always room for improvement ;) What caused the VB to fail in the transmission? Also, we need to keep in mind there is only so much IPT can do through mail. Unfortunately those far away from them don't have the luxury to drive down there and get that extra attention.

Maybe we should move this over to the 5EAT Pride thread? Cause I'd also like to ask you what torque load these 5EATs can take if you were to guess, based on the internals they use.

IPT had to tinker a lot with the valve body, from my understanding, to find the happy medium between not tripping the electronics in the transmission and shifting firm without jerking.

Paul, I'm always interested in hearing other's opinion regarding the IPT units. What did not impress you in the valve body? Can you tell, for example, what was modified? What would you have done differently? I am happy with how mine is performing but there's always room for improvement ;) What caused the VB to fail in the transmission? Also, we need to keep in mind there is only so much IPT can do through mail. Unfortunately those far away from them don't have the luxury to drive down there and get that extra attention.

Maybe we should move this over to the 5EAT Pride thread? Cause I'd also like to ask you what torque load these 5EATs can take if you were to guess, based on the internals they use.

In the interest of full disclosure, you may recall from another thread (5EAT Pride!) my transmission was hitting the rev limiter when I got it back after the stage 3 upgrade (only hit it once that I remember in stage 2, and I am 99% sure that was in 5th gear, but almost could not avoid hitting it after stage 3).

Per IPT this meant that my transmission was already on its way out, the valve body probably wouldn't help. I had read here that other people experienced hitting the rev limiter after increasing their horsepower, and the the valve body upgrade eliminated that. In fact 0-60 my car actually initially slowed down due to bumping the rev limiter (post stage 3, pre IPT vb). The tuner had actually raised my rev limit to try to work around this, but that didn't seem to help all that much. If you recall, I was also originally unsure as to whether 5th gear was slipping or it was something going on with the torque converter....turned out to be the 5th gear clutch slipping.

IPT went over the valve body with a "fine tooth comb" and they said there was absolutely nothing wrong with it (at no charge, returned it promptly, and paid return shipping). So from that standpoint I think they acted very fairly. In fact, they said I should put the valve body back in my car, because they felt that there was no way anybody else could make one that worked as well. Post IPT VB the car probably hit the rev limiter only about 1 out 5 times, so there was definitely and improvement.

I don't want to say too much in the way of comparison between my IPT VB and what I have now, as it is not necessarily a fair comparison since apparently I had problems already. I do think right now my shifts are firmer than with the IPT VB (more noticeable during spirited driving than just normal driving).

Overall I am very pleased with my new transmission :wub: , doesn't hit the rev limiter at all, at WOT seems to shift right at 6400-6500rpms, really gives a nice firm shift during moderate - full acceleration, but not noticeably different from stock during normal driving (i.e. the wife won't notice or be upset). They think it should be good for 450whp, which is way more than I plan on generating with the AVO 380 setup, so hopefully I am good to go. I'll keep you posted as I accumulate more miles and smiles :), but so far all positives and no negatives.

Rick, i am sorry if i offended you somehow, I have never pulled an IPT transmission apart. when i asked them what they are putting in their transmissions, they told me they are using raybestos clutches. those are what come in stock rebuild kits. so as far as i know they are rebuilding with stock parts. Their valve body did not impress me, it ruined a transmission in no time at all. however i do not know what that valve body would have done with one of their transmissions and not a stock unit with 30k on it.

Another thing, I am NOT trying to sell anything to anyone here. I merely work at the shop where columbo had his work done. I make an hourly wage to work on transmissions, nothing else. the only thing i was offering was to help anyone who wanted there tranny built a way to contact the shop or to shed more light on what we did to columbo's tranny. most of my knowledge of IPT is from the volkswagen/audi scene and i know some guys who have been less than happy with the results they have seen by going with the ipt build. that is all i'm saying.

since you are an owner of an IPT unit can you tell me what is done to it? i would honestly like to know.

No offense taken. Here is a link from there site that can maybe give you a better idea of what is done. http://www.importperformancetrans.com/subaru5eat.shtml

My purchase from them included the rebuild + vb + modified torque converter with 4k rpm stall.

My transmission did not actually fail me, it was my center diff that grenaded. I had John's assurance that every gear in the transmission and the center diff would be cryo'd to help prevent this from happening again.

So far I am very happy with my IPT rebuild. The car shifts very quick and firm, especially for stage 3. The only thing that could use some tweaking is my vb, but that won't happen until I'm willing to make the drive to New Jersey. I'm all for competition between vendors and it would be nice for IPT to have some competition to maybe drive their prices down some.

To be objective, that guy in SoCal with the jdm twinscroll setup and the IPT built 5eat had his pressure plate or whatever it was basically strip loose. IPT warranty replaced it. He said their valve body was slamming shifts thus causing the break, but he also said IPT corrected the valve body and he's happy after the back and forth was over. Not much of his statement makes much sense to my understanding of the transmission, but this is what he said.

It was his flex plate and I do recall the pics, that thing was trashed. Unfortunately no one has come up with a better flex plate for our cars and I find it hard to blame IPT for that one.

No, locally built, see posts #2, 22, 23, & 25.

Duh! I guess I was day-dreaming when I read those.

Sorry, but I don't think PaulA4.18T knows what is going on with an IPT transmission. I am not debating the price point of the unit, but cryo treatment can't really be included in a $650 job, not to mention the torque converter. I ain't no clutch expert, but can't stock units be reinforced? Their separate rebuild kit which includes all the bands, clutches, etc. are said to be the same performance parts they use in the transmissions. If that is a lie, I'm curious who reached that conclusion and how. Furthermore, I'd be interested in finding out which company makes better, more durable clutchpacks and they'd have my money instead of IPT.

We kinda hijacked ClimberD's thread :( Let's move it to the 5EAT Pride.

Something I was thinking about: They are launching (already have launched?) an automatic version of the STI with a "5eat". I wonder if any specs are available on that transmission to determine parts compatibility with the legacy 5eat. Being an STI, it must have some beefed internals to handle the increased power output.

I'll answer but I hate derailing this thread any further. Maybe a mod feels like doing a thread split and merge.

The STi 5EAT is by no means stronger as far as we know. As evidence of this, the torque is limited to 260lb-ft IIRC, if not lower, from the typical 300. Since our 5EAT is a JATCO unit similar with the G and Z, it's easily understood it should be able to hold at least 300hp, but ultimately what matters is torque, because that's what is "real" as far as what slaps the transmission. If you output 400lb-ft but 50hp, the tranny will most likely grenade. Reverse scenario, it may very well survive. *shrug*

I saw that ClimberD was going to try and install the 5MT front diff in our transmissions, but is anybody going to try the 350Z shift kit? With a helical front LSD and a shift kit, our transmissions would be excellent! I would be very interested in an option other than the IPT valve body or complete build.

My Flex plate blew up too! arg ! is it the same as the manual tranny ones ?

Apparently something I need to salvage from my spare trans so I too can replace it later. How'd you break it?

Anyways, do you know how to find out what values from the ECU influence the TCU?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived