LegacyGT.com

Subaru Satin White Pearl Touch-Up Paint - What's the Deal???

BonAppetit

Anyone out there with a satin white pearl Subaru ever try the factory touch-up paint? I bought some from my local dealer, got it home, shook it as directed, pulled up the applicator, and noticed that the stuff looked like a metalic clear coat. Very little pigment. It looks like it'll take about 4 coats before the affected area looks white again.

It might just be faster to find conventional white touch-up paint, then chase it with the Subaru satin white pearl. Essentially, use the Subaru touch up paint as a clear coat. What gives?:mad:

Yes, it does suck. Careful when you apply it too, my trick was always to stick the tube in the freezer for a while to get the paint to bind together on the brush better, no kidding.

The first time I tried to paint a rock chip, it was in the middle of summer and I had the paint inside the car's cabin al day. It was like painting with apple juice.

The colder it is, the better it will hold the colour on the brush.

But it won't look good if you are tying to paint anything more than a rock chip. The pearl doesn't do well in manual applications.

Correction... The SWP is a 3-stage paint not a two... Same as toyota/lexus pearl white, GM pearl white, Hyundai pearl white etc... 3-Stage because a base coat white is laid first then a mid coat of pearl followed by the (3rd) layer of clear coat as the final finish... Thats why pearl whites are so hard to match touch up paint... GM has a red 3-Stage that's unreal to spray!

Yes three stage, was not counting the clear for his touch up process.

Lexus also has a three stage red pearl that is hard to paint, as well as a bluish-white that is found on the new HS205h and the LS.

X

---

haha not upset. You can never tell the tone of anyone on the internetz!! :lol:

And yes I paint in the gator area, and it is funny that you mentioned the Cadillac since I painted a scratch on a bumper of a red one once and it was a pita!

To me the hardest colors to match regardless of tone are the Honda colors.

Anyway sorry to hijack the thread.

X

---

Archived