LegacyGT.com

New 09 Spec.B - what to offer?

May have stumbled upon a leftover brand new 2009 Spec B at a dealer. Around 200 miles on it, never sold or titled. Many options (wing, homelink, mats, mirror/compass) MSRP of a tad over $36K.

Wondering what would be a reasonable price for this vehicle? I've seen a few low mileage (8-15K) Spec.B's for sale for 26-30K, but not sure how low a dealer would go on a leftover new one.

Any thoughts?

I got my 08 3.0R limited with 200 miles on it in August and we paid $20,800 including tax and title, plus $3,600 for my trade in so $24,400 total. Hell of a deal, and I don't know what the guy who said 200 miles is not brand new is thinking, sure it's been test driven but most people would probably consider 200 miles brand new.

I got my 08 3.0R limited with 200 miles on it in August and we paid $20,800 including tax and title, plus $3,600 for my trade in so $24,400 total. Hell of a deal, and I don't know what the guy who said 200 miles is not brand new is thinking, sure it's been test driven but most people would probably consider 200 miles brand new.

Kramm, I am happy you like your car and feel that you got a "hell of a deal" on it! Thats awesome but no matter what you believe, 200 miles = used car.

I find it easy to imagine all kinds of things that can (and DO) happen in just a few miles. Anyway, I got our 05 LGT, UNDER 10 miles on it (apparently had to be driven to the dealer from the truck drop-off) for 25k @ 0.9%apr with zero down:eek:. I sold our 11 year old $300 trade in for $3500 private party (it was $9,000 NEW!):lol:. In case you did not copy that, I walked in with junk, walked out with a new car and sold the junk for a fist full of cash that I could use to pay the car at my lesiure.

There is no way I would pay close to invoice on a almost 2 year old car with 200 miles on it and if the dealer thinks it is worth that, let them sell it to the sucker that they been looking for over the last two years. It has spent two years taking sales guys to lunch, customers on drives who dont know how to drive and been floored cold into potholes.

I agree with LALGT - 200 test-driven miles is a LOT! How many test drivers keep it under 4k rpm for the break-in period? If you figure the average test drive is ~10 miles, and most people are wanting to see full range of acceleration (especially for a Spec B - you know they are sporty folk), that's 20 people who have had some fun in that car before you'll own it.

I was able to get a 09 Spec B for $30,000 a year ago with only 12 miles on it (and 6 were mine from the test drive). I'd offer around $26k, and would expect to pay no more than $28k.

Just my 2 cents.

Kramm, I am happy you like your car and feel that you got a "hell of a deal" on it! Thats awesome but no matter what you believe, 200 miles = used car.

I find it easy to imagine all kinds of things that can (and DO) happen in just a few miles. Anyway, I got our 05 LGT, UNDER 10 miles on it (apparently had to be driven to the dealer from the truck drop-off) for 25k @ 0.9%apr with zero down:eek:. I sold our 11 year old $1000 trade in for $3500 private party (it was $9,000 NEW!):lol:. In case you did not copy that, I walked in with junk, walked out with a new car and sold the junk for a fist full of cash that I could use to pay the car at my lesiure.

There is no way I would pay close to invoice on a almost 2 year old car with 200 miles on it and if the dealer thinks it is worth that, let them sell it to the sucker that they been looking for over the last two years. It has spent two years taking sales guys to lunch, customers on drives who dont know how to drive and been floored cold into potholes.

I see what you're saying. Guess I have a different view point on what a New car is since I'm 21 and probably drive the nicest car out of any of my friends. Regardless my Legacy runs great and still has 2 1/2 years of warranty so I'm not too concerned. Even though it was 2 years old it still has a KBB of about $23,000 for a dealer trade in which I find funny cause I could go into a dealer and probably get very close to what I paid 8k miles later. And I'm not sure I follow you on the whole invoice price thing, but I paid well below the MSRP in 2008 which was about $34,000. FWIW it was listed at $27,400 when we walked in.

Actually I take it back. At this point this car is desireable with the new generation out. I'd say you may end up paying quite a bit, like $31-32k.

I'd still ge it. New, 200 test drive miles or not, is still new.

As a baseline, you could try looking at the edmunds/kbb prices for an excellent condition used specB with 5k miles.

As for what the dealer wants for it, who the heck knows. If they're trying to get it off the lot, they could give you a great deal. Alternatively, since you can't get a new specB they may try to get close to MSRP.

I'd be somewhat surprised if you can get it for less than $30k+taxes.

If you like it, and can get it for a price your comfortable with go for it.

Also, location plays a huge factor. Subaru's seem to be a very regional market.

Check the production date. If it's in the range of those that blow-up, ignore the 200 miles of testdrives, it will blow-up anyway :)

Yes you can use this to your advantage while negotiating. I paid $24 (plus tax) for my 08 spec b w/ 12,800 miles this last Dec.

I would stick to your guns at $26 and say "hey look there are potential blow up problems and its been demoed".. Great find by the way.. is it white?

Yes you can use this to your advantage while negotiating. I paid $24 (plus tax) for my 08 spec b w/ 12,800 miles this last Dec.

I would stick to your guns at $26 and say "hey look there are potential blow up problems and its been demoed".. Great find by the way.. is it white?

^ Exactly what I ment when I posted "Offer then 26k and see what they say" (Basically, offer then 26k, hope to get it for 28k, stick to your guns, and poo-poo the problems that they have had: wheel bearings, blow up, etc)

Thanks for all the input guys - some follow ups to some questions:

Right now all they have is it listed at MSRP, so I'll make an offer and see what happens. My initial thought was around 27 or 28K, but also went back and forth as to whether they may stick to something close to sticker since there is no more Specb, and its pretty new.

I also worried about the 200 hard test drive miles, but figure I'd at least get a new car warranty etc. on it. I'm trying to find out from them what the miles are - test driving, maybe they drove it in a swap from another dealer, etc.

Car is ruby red, which isn't my favorite, but for a good price on a basically new spec.b, I think I can get over it :)

One final issue - its a few states away, and will probably have to be shipped to me, which adds to my cost a bit. Anyone know any good national shippers they could recommend if I get a deal done on this car?

It's a car - drive it :)

I'd love to! Its not a matter of driving it, its a matter of finding the time. Just started a new position at work, already have a vacation planned soon, and some other obligations, so taking a couple of days to fly out and drive the car back may not work for me, but its an option I'm keeping on the table if this works out.

I also worried about the 200 hard test drive miles, but figure I'd at least get a new car warranty etc. on it. I'm trying to find out from them what the miles are - test driving, maybe they drove it in a swap from another dealer, etc.

Bro stop "worrying" about the test miles. You are going to do WAY more damage to your car over years of driving it than was done.

If you are buying a car, and it has 200 miles on it, it should not cost near a car with single digit miles. I don't care if they tell me they idle it at 5mph on a TREADMILL. Sales guys and particularly sales managers are LIARS. Don't bother asking, they are going to tell you what they assume you want to hear.

Krammy's post shows that he went ahead and got himself the deal he was looking for on a car with 200mi on it and his car is 100% fine even though it had 200mi on it:rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with getting a very lightly used car and calling it new as long as you get a deal!

GET YOUR DEAL FOR THAT SPEC B!!!;)

Use mileage and age and anything else you can to lever that deal. That dealer is PAYING A CAR PAYMENT just to have that car sit on their lot.

The test miles are not a worry... Its 200 miles, any problems you "might" have from those miles should be evident before the factory warranty is up. And even still, the cars are built well enough to endure a few hundred miles.

Dont let them walk on you with price, figures, "exclusivity", etc... Its a car that's been sitting on their lot for quite some time. They need to sell it, and if its still there in March of 2010, they are desperate to sell it, even if they dont say they are. Tell them 26k out the door, but be willing to settle for 28k out the door. There are a few ways to approach the financing as well, just fyi... Find out what they'll do if you let them finance it, and then cross shop as well. Sometimes you can get better deals by letting them finance it, sometimes your better deal will be getting your own. Getting both figures lets you know what you're dealing with.

Shipping costs... That's a little different, prob gonna cost you a grand to get it shipped. Or you could see if someone local wants to do a road trip for you ;) hehe... ROFL

Like LAGT said, its a car that they are paying for just to sit on their lot... They want to sell it, they need to sell it. Dont let them hassle you about money, you have the upper hand... It's all in how well you can negotiate

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

May have stumbled upon a leftover brand new 2009 Spec B at a dealer. Around 200 miles on it, never sold or titled. Many options (wing, homelink, mats, mirror/compass) MSRP of a tad over $36K.

Wondering what would be a reasonable price for this vehicle? I've seen a few low mileage (8-15K) Spec.B's for sale for 26-30K, but not sure how low a dealer would go on a leftover new one.

Any thoughts?

I think you are looking for around 30, 31..

There is so much you can do here. Car dealers are just that, they make deals and try to make it happen. From my experience in buying my car from out of state was to talk to the sales manager and say something along the lines of " I am very interested in the car, but it all comes down to the numbers. I am traveling far to see this thing and I need to know that you are going to be reasonable here. I dont want to get there and you think that I wont go back home without the car".

This just sets a presidence that you will walk and that just because you came from a couple states away, doesnt mean you are desperate.

Most dealers will always counter offer you. So stick to your guns and see what you can do.

Also, if they kinda start beating you up see about what they can do about meeting you half way with the car. I would much rather have a dealer drive it half way than ship it... Iv never had any luck in shipping cars/motorcycles.

Archived