LegacyGT.com

2011 Kia Optima - very nice!

See here: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/13/new-york-2010-preview-next-generation-kia-optima-unveiled/

I really like the direction of the new Kia! First the Forte, then the Sorento, and now this... Obviously hiring a designer from Audi is doing great things for them :cool:

While it won't have AWD, I'll be curious to see what their new turbo motor is all about. They're saying that it'll have the same mileage as the 2.4GDI motor - and that pretty easily sees low to mid 30's in the 2011 Sonata! I'm not a fan of FWD cars, but you really can't deny the value... $20k gets you in to the new Sonata with good looks, decent performance, and an amazing warranty. I expect this will be a similar value, but with even better (much better IMO) looks. And, if it's anything like the new Forte SX, the driving dynamics probably won't be too bad either.

What do you guys think?

Based on that, I wouldn't have purchased my Legacy either - I would have bought an Accord or Camry. That being said, look at where Toyota resale values have gone since their whole fiasco was uncovered. Any car is a loss... I'd rather enjoy what I'm driving than try to convince myself that I've "made an investment" :lol:

The South Korean offerings have come miles in terms of vehicle design (inside and out) as well as quality... With offerings like the Genesis twins, new Sonata, new Optima etc., I have no doubt that their resale values will start to strengthen.

My brother is waiting for the AWD version of the new Kia Sorento to hit the lots and he'll trade his 4Runner (05 v8 Sport AWD) for one. He wants something with better mileage or he'd go with a Kia Borrego in Limited trim.

The Sorento offers a 276hp v6, 6spd auto, fulltime AWD with locking center diff, heated leather, nav, and a massive sunroof like that on the Legacy wagons (goes from windshield to cargo area). Sticker is $32k with all the trimmings, though right now there's $1k cash back plus another $1k in "conquest cash" if you trade a competitor's SUV (like the 4Runner). There's 0% for 36 months too.

I love the lines of the body, but I'm not too sure about those rims. The 2.4L motor doesn't impress me too much either, but that is probably the sharpest looking KIA I've ever seen. The worst was the Kia Spectra. That thing was so ugly it literally made me mad to see one on the road. The bulging fenders always attract too much attention and make the car look like a midget with an eating disorder.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/2004-2006_Kia_Spectra_LX.jpg

Korea is gonna be the new Japan if they keep this up!

... Ok, maybe not Daewoo, they're always going to suck... :lol:

Based on that, I wouldn't have purchased my Legacy either - I would have bought an Accord or Camry.

A more important question is

WHY DID YOU BUY YOUR LEGACY?

I bet the reasons you bought your Legacy are NOT things that Kia embodies.

I bought my Leggie for 1-solid and reliable 2-fun turbo 3-awd awesomeness 4-4 door sensibility 5-looks good 6-price was right

The Kia is not even THAT cheap. I got my LGT brand new for 25k

A more important question is

WHY DID YOU BUY YOUR LEGACY?

I bet the reasons you bought your Legacy are NOT things that Kia embodies.

I bought my Leggie for 1-solid and reliable 2-fun turbo 3-awd awesomeness 4-4 door sensibility 5-looks good 6-price was right

The Kia is not even THAT cheap. I got my LGT brand new for 25k

Not that I'm obligated to share why I purchased my car, but my reasons were similar to yours. I also bought my '05 LGT 5MT wagon brand new - and, ironically, it's the rarest of the rare now (non-limited). That being said, I'd say the new Optima isn't far off on the items you have listed:

1. According to my Consumer Reports online login, the '06 and later Optima's/Sonata's have been very reliable. Not quite as good as the Legacy, but actually pretty close. That being said, their 5/60 (B2B) and 10/100 (PT) warranties blow Subaru (and most others) away.
  2. Assuming the Optima gets the same motors as the new Sonata, a 2.4GDI turbo is coming. It's no boxer, but at least it has DI.
  3. No AWD - and I don't expect it... This is the biggest issue for me. I don't need AWD (RWD with snows is fine), but I'm not a fan of FWD. That being said, I'd be willing to overlook it since this would be my daily driver (have a RWD "fun" car too) and would probably be the least expensive car I'd be looking at.
  4. Yup - the Optima has 4-doors just like a Legacy... Wish I could get a wagon:spin:
  5. With the exception of the wheels, the new Optima looks great! Much better than the 5th gen Legacy.
  6. Assuming pricing like the Sonata it should start under $20k and, even loaded, will probably be less than my '05 LGT was.

For what it's worth, my LGT has had a clutch done under warranty (34k) due to a failed pressure plate and just had 5th gear replaced under warranty (59k) due to a freak and catastrophic failure. Of the 6 standard shift cars I've owned, my LGT is the only one that has had clutch/transmission issues.

I'm not saying the new Optima will be the car I'd buy to replace my LGT, but I'm not ruling it out... I'm definitely considering other cars (Regal GS - if they build it, CTS wagon, etc.), but the Optima would be a sensible choice. The great warranty and great mileage (assuming it's like the Sonata) make it a very good candidate for a daily driver. That being said, if it was my only car, I might feel otherwise.

Move up to the Sonata. If you don't want to spend that much, don't buy a new car.

As nice as the Optima is for its price, I've always felt that if you want to spend about $20k for a daily-driven car, buy a nicer 2-3 year old car and you'll come out ahead in every category. You can buy some pretty compelling used cars in that price range. Let the first guy eat the depreciation and you get a nearly-new car that you can't tell from new except when you check the odometer.

Move up to the Sonata. If you don't want to spend that much, don't buy a new car.

As nice as the Optima is for its price, I've always felt that if you want to spend about $20k for a daily-driven car, buy a nicer 2-3 year old car and you'll come out ahead in every category. You can buy some pretty compelling used cars in that price range. Let the first guy eat the depreciation and you get a nearly-new car that you can't tell from new except when you check the odometer.

^x100 Nothing can be posted that will convince me that a Sonata will be a better option than the above advice. If 20k seems like a lot for a new car, the buyer is not in the market for a new primary driver.

For a 20k daily-driven car get a 1-2 year old LGT while that still means getting a 4th gen.:lol:

I would do that for every car I buy.

Still has nothing to do with how good this car looks. Regardless of what anyone says I think the point of the thread was to show how far Kia has come. This looks better than anything Japanese out there now in the same price range.

Still has nothing to do with how good this car looks. Regardless of what anyone says I think the point of the thread was to show how far Kia has come. This looks better than anything Japanese out there now in the same price range.

:whore:

Thank you for breaking it down in to terms hopefully everybody can understand!

I don't care about the brand of car I drive - it's just a name... I also have no allegiance to any one specific brand. While there are brands I'd avoid due to reliability issues, Kia/Hyundai isn't one of them these days. As iyalla said, they've come a long way - both in reliability as well as the overall quality, engineering, and styling of the cars they're building. Are they a car I'd have considered 5 years ago - probably not... Would I consider a 2011 Optima - maybe (in the turbo).

It certainly looks better than the 5th gen Legacy :spin:

All cars drop in value the day you drive it off the lot. It all has to do with afordability. You buy the Kia and the legacy and which one will be lower in price, and which one will be paid off sooner. Thats what Americans think now. As for LosAngelesGT, a fully loaded Kia runs for 15-20K. I have a fully loaded limited 05 gt and I paid bran spanken new with 2 miles on it for 31K all said and done. you do not have a limited, there is a big diff in price. All cars have there good and bad.

Archived