LegacyGT.com

What tools are needed to check turbo shaft play?

Hello everyone,

I recently moved to an apartment and no longer have all the tools I did while living back at my brother's house. I'm getting a funny noise under acceleration, and I want to check my turbo for any play in the shaft/bearing.

This can be done by taking off the inlet tube, correct? What kind of tools are needed to perform this job. I'm trying to visualize it, but I don't know if there are any brackets or bolts that might need to be removed.

Thanks.

It is probably easier to just pull the down pipe. A set of metric sockets and a couple extensions/u-joints/wobblers will get the job done. Most of the stuff is 10,12,14, or 17mm. The heat shield bolts might be 8mm... not sure.

If you go via the inlet tube, you will have to reach under the intake manifold, and it is tight under there.

It is probably easier to just pull the down pipe. A set of metric sockets and a couple extensions/u-joints/wobblers will get the job done. Most of the stuff is 10,12,14, or 17mm. The heat shield bolts might be 8mm... not sure.

10mm

Ahh, gotcha... well to get to the turbo via the compressor inlet, I think all you need is a 6mm hex key to remove the bolt that secures the inlet pipe to the manifold and a screwdriver to undo the hose clamps at either end. Then it's just going to be a fight to see if you can remove the PCV return line with the limited space.

The problem with that is I do not have access to a jack, otherwise I would do it that way since I've been under there and have checked it before (installed a downpipe about 15k miles ago). There was no shaft play at that time.

ConeE, you don't need a jack! You just need a set of $15 autozone ramps to get your DP off (well and tools, duh!)

EDIT: Oh NVM, that would probably be miserable there this time of year unless you can pull it into your garage. I am in Cali, it is sunny and 75

Archived