LegacyGT.com

rear mount turbo idea?

I am looking to get a legacy right now, i would love the gt but the mpg is horrible on it, i know that i shouldn't complain about that but its going to be my commuter car. I was thinking of getting the 2.5i limited with manual transmission but had a crazy idea of maybe doing a rear mount turbo kit on it maybe next year. Is this possible to do?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
for the fact that a know two people who have sts turbo kits, one on a ss trailblazer and one on a c5 Z06 and they both have seen a 2-5 mpg increase on both city and highway mileage

And this is a fact because they drove exactly the same %100 of the time before and after the install right? and of course you were in their cars the entire time to document this mysterious fuel saving turbo. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It's a simple fact, more air= more fuel on a properly working car, so if they drove 100% the same at the same temperatures and altitudes improved gas mileage would be impossible. The only way they could have improved gas mileage by installing turbo would be as stated they drove much more conservatively after the install, or they had something like bad spark plugs or a bad tune prior to the turbo, and were corrected or redone during the addition of the turbo.

I am looking to get a legacy right now, i would love the gt but the mpg is horrible on it, i know that i shouldn't complain about that but its going to be my commuter car. I was thinking of getting the 2.5i limited with manual transmission but had a crazy idea of maybe doing a rear mount turbo kit on it maybe next year. Is this possible to do?

If yuou are worried about mpg/frugality, tossing a turbo on an a n/a leggy is foolhardy.

then they must not be stepping on it much, there is no thermodynamic way you can significantly increase power AND use less fuel than stock. search for a thread on this site where someone tabulated the costs to turbo a 2.5i. It turns out to be MUCH cheaper to dump the 2.5i and get a GT instead.

if you understand how turbos work, the farther away you get from the engine, the less efficient it becomes. this is why most turbos from the factory are mounted as close to the exhaust valves as possible. sure you might be able to do it, and it will be expensive, but it wouldnt be practical. You'd be better off with a supercharger: Impreza Supercharger

I get between 26 and 30 mpg depending on time of year. Summer is near 30 and dead of winter is near 26mpg.

ditto, almost exactly same for me. 29-30 if i cruise at speed limit, 26-28 if i'm at 75-80. 1 mpg or so lower in the winter.

I need to figure out how to say this without sounding like a harsh jerkoff: You need to do your research into turbocharging and efficiency. To say the MPG on the GT sucks over a N/A is just laughable. The MPG difference is negligible between the two. Not to mention my buddy who drives his 2.5i pretty hard sees mileage as low as I do with my Spec.B. Manufactures are turning to forced induction more and more to gain better efficiency while still increasing power. If you need more concrete facts/evidence, I have a 15 page research paper I wrote for a persuasive writing class in college you can read. The paper explains why turbocharging is the true replacement for displacement and is actually a very economical way of increasing power. The key to keeping a turbocharger sipping on fuel is to stay out of boost! I'm sure you knew that though.

there is no thermodynamic way you can significantly increase power AND use less fuel than stock.

You may be talking just Subaru here, but Ford has actually done that. The new 3.5 EcoBoost makes 90 more HP than the N/A V6, but it still gets fuel economy that is several MPG better.

The fuel consumption depends on the weight of the right foot.

But a turbo engine of the same size as a NA engine can of course consume more fuel since it's force fed on air.

The turbo engine may be a bit less efficient during low rpms due to it's lower compression ratio, but the difference is small.

453747.png

for the fact that a know two people who have sts turbo kits, one on a ss trailblazer and one on a c5 Z06 and they both have seen a 2-5 mpg increase on both city and highway mileage

Wow... pretty much every STi or LGT owner that goes bigger turbo gets better gas mileage anyways unless they get all born again race car driver. Have you thought through how a turbo kit can permit better mileage?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

30s w/ the gt isn't really feasible, imho. back on the stock turbo, i found 28-29 hwy was possible on a flat road and a very surgical toe.

bigger turbo lets you be a little less surgical on the highway, but really only helps noticably in city driving, since it's easier to stay out of boost for the most part if you wish -- however, a lot of that is usually offset by fuel system upgrades and what becomes of mpg once you finally lay into it.

there's a reason why a giant turbo upgrade (or slapping a rear mount kit onto an n/a factory car) doesn't qualify you for a big 'green' tax credit ;)

question: did those guys who added those kits tune for them? i suppose they could get more power with the same fuel by running their engines dangerously lean...

Archived