LegacyGT.com

I'm not paying that much for a cap

OCDetails

I painted the yellow caps under the hood to better match the rest of the car. The only thing left were those two silver caps with orange stickers. I'm not paying 40 bucks for an STi cap, so I figured I'd do the next best thing and just get creative. ;) I'm going to have to play around with this some more to get it just the way I want it, but its not a bad first effort. After I get it right I'm going to print it off on some label paper I have and then laminate it at work. Then when I cut it out the sticker will be waterproof. It should stick just fine to the orange one. I scanned the cap off my radiator to get the exact size of the sticker.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/STIradiatorCap.jpg

Go ahead and begin the mocking now. Call it stupid if you want to, but its better than that orange.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I painted the yellow caps under the hood to better match the rest of the car. The only thing left were those two silver caps with orange stickers. I'm not paying 40 bucks for an STi cap, so I figured I'd do the next best thing and just get creative. ;) I'm going to have to play around with this some more to get it just the way I want it, but its not a bad first effort. After I get it right I'm going to print it off on some label paper I have and then laminate it at work. Then when I cut it out the sticker will be waterproof. It should stick just fine to the orange one. I scanned the cap off my radiator to get the exact size of the sticker.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/STIradiatorCap.jpg

Go ahead and begin the mocking now. Call it stupid if you want to, but its better than that orange.

[mocking]stupid![/mocking]

The hi-pressure cap is functional, not an aesthetic mod. Why make it look like something that it's not? Why not just spend $40?

Why not change the label on the motor too to say H-6TT? :D

The cap on my car is functional, right? What difference does it make if I put a different sticker on top? I'm not affecting the fuctionality of the OEM cap at all. I'm not paying $40 bucks for the same cap with a different sticker. I thought it would be more fun to make my own.

OCDETAILS BLOG

They are not the same cap at all. Now, I agree that most won't need the extra benefit of the STi cap. I see this the same as someone who buys Rota's and puts Prodrive or Volk logos and caps on them. Why bother? They are still Rota's (not a bad thing at all).

It makes your wallet lighter. :lol:

Details about the cap:

STi High pressure radiator cap. Replaces standard radiator cap with increased pressure rating to standard spec. with 0.9 bar to 1.3 bar.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Awesome. You should print a bunch, laminate them and sell them to us for postage. I hate things like people selling Prodrive oil caps for 50 bucks- how gay.

Raising the cap pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant but will do absolutely nothing for the perofmance of the system unless it is running at the boiling point of the stock cap, which it is not. If you were running close to the boling point then raising the pressure of the system is not the best way to solve the problem. A complete waste of money.

Also, there are 2 caps in the system so you have to replace both :)

Expect the cap temp to be around 200 (mostly at around 190) so plan you materials accordingly :)

The sticker idea is just me representing my 'team'. Like I have said before... I wear Red Wings shirts but that doesn't mean I am on the team. I've got a Yankees hat and I'm not on that team either. There isn't anything wrong with representing your team as long as it is done tastefully. My main goal is asthetics. I show my cars at several events that I sponsor or enter every year and I like having little things that are unique. Obviously its not a real STi product since there is an LGT.com URL on it, but it at least gets points for originality. In fact, I'll get more points for originality by doing it this way than if I bought the real caps.

The caps that Subaru put on my car I would assume will function perfectly well for the way the car performs. Obviously if I were to start upgrading things that would make a difference in my cap requirements then I would change them. I suppose I could just make black circles that say "HOT" on the front and call it a day, but that wouldn't have the same effect. ;) I just wanted to customize a little bit on caps that I didn't want to mess with getting paint to stick on.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived