LegacyGT.com

Intermittent click when depressing brake pedal

From my experience it always takes an extra effort to prove there is something wrong with the car to Subaru dealers, this gets frustrating, and will be one of the reasons my next car (most likely) won't be a Subaru. Sorry for the off-topic.

If you think that specific to Subaru then you'll be greatly disappointed when you get another car and find a quirk that you want fixed on it. They all work the same and just don't want to deal with the small things.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you think that specific to Subaru then you'll be greatly disappointed when you get another car and find a quirk that you want fixed on it. They all work the same and just don't want to deal with the small things.

You're right but considering that Subarus are generally more quirky this gets more annoying. I can only speak from my personal experience but after owning 4 Subies, a Toyota RAV4 and a Nissan 240SX, the last 2 had practially 0 issues up to 120k when I sold them, whereas with Subies something is always wrong. Most often just annoyances such as this particular brake pedal noise, sometimes more serious like the clutch release bearing going bad just after it was replaced 10k miles ago or a faulty automatic transmission erroneously shutting down while trying to pass on a highway, at some point you just get tired and start looking at others. They are great cars nonetheless.

You're right but considering that Subarus are generally more quirky this gets more annoying. I can only speak from my personal experience but after owning 4 Subies, a Toyota RAV4 and a Nissan 240SX, the last 2 had practially 0 issues up to 120k when I sold them, whereas with Subies something is always wrong. Most often just annoyances such as this particular brake pedal noise, sometimes more serious like the clutch release bearing going bad just after it was replaced 10k miles ago or a faulty automatic transmission erroneously shutting down while trying to pass on a highway, at some point you just get tired and start looking at others. They are great cars nonetheless.

Sometime it's the area and sometimes it's the dealership. In DMV area people would leave Maryland and Virginia and drive to pa for Mazda service. I got a Mercury in Texas and the dealers there blew me off when I walked in with the F/L/M printout of the issue and the exact fix. They blew me off and told me 3 bottle of techron will fix the failed sender(10 of 19 gals of gas in the tank and the needle was buried past "E"). I handed them a bag of 6 empty bottles of techron and drove off. Shipping the car back to Va they did it under warranty the 1st time.

As for cars and no quirks, you might as well save up and get a Rolls Royce...oh wait they have a recall for the hood emblem not disengaging correctly when they plow thru a crowd of people. Then there was the Cadi with the glovebox recall because it posed a serious hazard to a passenger who refuses to buckle a seat belt.

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't drive in city traffic, but a quick run around the back roads would be ok, but I'm not a Cop so I don't care what you do...:)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have the click on my 2005 LGT automatic. It started at 50K miles. It is so annoying. It happens when coming to a stop and again when moving away from the stop. I took my car to an independent garage where they pulled apart the center console, look at the linkage, and said they couldn't find anything wrong to fix. It seems likely to be the transmission interlock. It's not worth anymore time or money to pursue. I'll follow this thread to see if anybody learns anything more on this.

• 1 month later...
No good news but at least I now know what it is not. It is not the stop light switch as I thought, took it out and drove around the neighborhood today - the annoying click is still there. I'm pretty much convinced at this point it comes from the brake booster, and not the pedal assembly.

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
Back from the dead..Ive had the click since the day I have owned the car. Its not so much the noise thats alarming, its the fact I can feel it in my foot. I could care less if it clicked everytime I depressed the brake, but it feels like it clicks off of something, I just dont want to be driving, hear a click, and suddenly my whole pedal assembely is on the floor. Its hard to duplicate and I cant seem to pin it down to a particular situation. Nie to know I'm not the only one though..any new updates?

LOL, I think I'll stick with Japanese, may be except Toyota, at least not until the memories about their sticking gas pedal fiasco fade :)

i have a friend at toyota, that recall was caused by the vehicles floor mats. they just smashed a divot in the floorboard and gave the car back haha.

i have a tacoma and love it as much as my subi.

• 1 year later...
bump and subscribed...thank god I thought I was the only one! It's been bothering me since day 1. Originally only was occuring on 1 of the 4 wheels, now its happening on what seems like all 4. Ive brought it to an independent shop numerous times and each time they say everything looks fine....ugh!

Archived