LegacyGT.com

Intermittent click when depressing brake pedal

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I have this sound as described, only does it after a duration of not touching the brake. I hope to have some time this winter to look around under my dash and familiarize myself with how everything works.

I will obviously report back if I find anything.

I think I can get this noise from both the clutch and the brake pedal, but I'm not positive on that one.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi-I'm new to this sight and have just purchased my third subaru--2011 legacy sedan--I just hit 1000 miles and the brake system is making a loud annoying click when pedal is depressed. I took it to dealer and the salesman acted like he never heard of the problem. Service manager said it was normal for subaru but I'm not buying that. It is a noise coming from the brake booster or master cyl. If they don't resolve it I am going to collect my work orders and go for lemon law. Other than brake noise it is a great car.Service manager also said that their is no fix for problem.

I was gonna ask what your mileages are for these cars but it went from 05-11 models. Maybe I just wrote this off as another Subaru quirk. Gonna see if I can create this click/pulse not caused by abs engaging on slippery surface. Saw someone said eat so not clutch shudder/chatter.

I had the same click at 2 of the four corners. I removed the pads, used brake pad grease at all contact points, and reassembled. All is quiet now. I was able to put my head out of the window and pretty definitively able to determine which wheel was the culprit, but wound up applying grease to all corners just as a preventative.

Hope this helps

Swapped the pads out and use the spray on disc quiet a while back. I don't "not touch the brakes for a while" cause we have a city of little boy cried woof brake stompers. Other reason is my tune puts my cruising speed foot off gas @ about 37 MPH and these roads are 25 MPH. Can't recreate it either.

I had the same click at 2 of the four corners. I removed the pads, used brake pad grease at all contact points, and reassembled. All is quiet now. I was able to put my head out of the window and pretty definitively able to determine which wheel was the culprit, but wound up applying grease to all corners just as a preventative.

Hope this helps

Click I have is physically under the dash, it is not a sound coming from any of the calipers.

I have still not looked into this since I've been busy over the holidays.

not to beat a dead horse, but do you have winter mats in? My clutch pedal clicked constantly with winter mats in. it really sounds like the exact same noise (though different pedal)

i actually thought the pedal arm was busted it was so specific.

Dealers typically don't acknowledge an issue to be a common problem. I had my car repaired on several occasions for "known" problems extensively discussed on these boards but dealer always said it was the first time they saw it. On my complaint about this particular click the dealer said everything was normal. From my experience it always takes an extra effort to prove there is something wrong with the car to Subaru dealers, this gets frustrating, and will be one of the reasons my next car (most likely) won't be a Subaru. Sorry for the off-topic.

Archived