LegacyGT.com

5w40 completely eliminated cold knock!

So now it's "Our Subies are ladies with short skirts that like to be stroked with no lube?" :eek:

After reading too many of rao's posts, one would suspect all oil is evil and will never meet specifications, thus no oil is an acceptable alternative for our cars :lol:

Interesting angle, all the research I did in the past ( both motorcycle and automobile ) showed a decrease in temp with higher viscocity lubricants.

Now granted it was same-vehicle mules under controlled testing parameters. Good info to chew on!

FWIW I switched to the Rotella-T 5w-40 on my last oil change. Ran regular Castrol for years on my V-8 motors ( 3000 mile OCI on average ). Tore down a few of them, clean with little/no bearing wear. So what does it mean?!? Good maintenance practices mean more than the brand oil OR filter you use...

There's a semi-famous internet oil guy named Dr. Haas (I don't think his doctorate has anything to do with oil, but I could be wrong). Anywho, he's a bazillionaire and likes to write articles and do testing on his own vehicles (ferraris, lambos, etc.). His big push is encouraging people to run really tough, high quality 0w20s in most applications due to the advantages in flow properties.

I don't necessarily agree with him, just thought I'd mention it.

Regarding the rest:

My personal philosophy on this stuff is simple. Manufacturers recommendations are not always in the best interests of the longevity of your car (to wit: lifetime fluids, BMW's revised maintenance schedule, Subaru's 7500 mile OCI for turbo engines).

It's appropriate to evaluate your vehicle, the manufacturers recommendation, and your intended use when choosing lubricants for it.

Blindly making assumptions about the validity of the manufacturer's claims, or the claims of the oil on the shelves of your local store, is not the way to do it.

As further evidence: People who think any coolant is suitable for their engine and original change interval.

I'm not saying this stuff is rocket science; all I'm saying is consideration is warranted.

Joe

Volvo and Saab state the automatic transmission fluid should never need to be changed (at least on the specific cars I recently started maintaining). These marks also suggest various other fluids need never be changed. I think these fine vehicles are designed such that the fluid colors mature like a fine wine. Brown must be the adult color. Anyways, I trust Volvo and GM on this one. Saab has me conclude the oil should have been changed 10 times per every 100,000 miles. Based on this, I think Subaru people change their oil way too often. I mean, everyone knows Subaru is lesser company.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived