LegacyGT.com

RE92 Conspiracy???!!!????

mwiener2

Ha! Caught you subaru! Their own company cars don't even use RE92's. Proof that they are aware the tires suck!!!!

Thank you 03Indigo for finding the pic....although i bet that's not what you were thinking when you took it.

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/album108/Subaru4.jpg

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I was at the Toyota/Scion dealership (getting my wife's minivan serviced) I noticed that the 'sporty' Scion Tc gets the same RE92 tires that we get (215/45/17). They are probably bit**ing about them too. :)

heh.. i just checked the first 2 toyota forums that showed up in a google search (RE92's are stock across the entire toyota line... well at least for the scion and camry)..

I found a little bitching, but nowhere near what we've got here. I dont think they can push thier cars hard enough to actually reach the limits of the tires.

anyhow, i dont mind the potenzas for daily driving. Once i've got some spare cash saved up i might swap them out for something better.... no rush though.

The plot thickens, I think we need to dig deeper. Does anyone rember that guy that had a bad case of indegestion caused by the RE92's? and what other ailments are they known to cause?

Sterility :lol:

Seriously though - I was one of those who didn't have an issue with them. I put them on the MINI for winter duty.....my fiance said she was hydroplaning in bad rain the other day. Note, she wasn't braking or turning.....just going straight. Probably going too fast for the road conditions (still under the posted limit), but scary nonetheless. Would it have happened with Toyo's or Pirelli's? Who knows.

I do know this - I am ordering dedicated summer tires for the new wheels that we are buying for her car. Come winter, real snow tires too. (She drove RE-92's on her WRX wagon and never had an issue). In my mind......too much doubt to risk her safety.

Same looks like Blzzak's but I plan on swopping out to cooper. I had them on 4 out of 5 cars of mine and I love the performance, low road noise and in dry, gravel, wet, snow, or ice the tire feels very concistant. The Brigestone (Firestone) yes these people are like brother and sister feel like the dri road is fine but wet they really do not make good contact with the road. Now yes, outside temp, road surfface temp, and tread depth have a lot to do with it along and most improtantly tire pressure.

The other thing to keep in mind is that those XC ski support vehicles need to go everywhere. The RE92 is not really an off-road-rated tire, so the change would make sense. Something else to keep in mind is that when they say "Subaru Factory Team," they mean supported by Subaru. Subaru supplies them cars, but doesn't tell them what to do with said cars.

Kevin

Sterility :lol:

Seriously though - I was one of those who didn't have an issue with them. I put them on the MINI for winter duty.....my fiance said she was hydroplaning in bad rain the other day. Note, she wasn't braking or turning.....just going straight. Probably going too fast for the road conditions (still under the posted limit), but scary nonetheless. Would it have happened with Toyo's or Pirelli's? Who knows.

I do know this - I am ordering dedicated summer tires for the new wheels that we are buying for her car. Come winter, real snow tires too. (She drove RE-92's on her WRX wagon and never had an issue). In my mind......too much doubt to risk her safety.

Hydroplaning is first dictated by speed/water depth.

Second is the tire pressure (hydroplaning resistance is increased with air pressure)

And finally the last thing that affects the formula is the tire's tread and the effect it has is nominal at best.

So of all the things people can try to pin on the RE92s, increased hydroplaning is not one of them.

Hydroplaning is first dictated by speed/water depth.

Second is the tire pressure (hydroplaning resistance is increased with air pressure)

And finally the last thing that affects the formula is the tire's tread and the effect it has is nominal at best.

So of all the things people can try to pin on the RE92s, increased hydroplaning is not one of them.

So, treaded tires hydroplane the same as slicks? :lol:

Easy. Race cars use slicks in the dry and grooved tires in the rain. Duh. :D

But that's not proof of hydroplaning ability. Just overall traction. And even then I'd like to see some real tests done with a slick vs treaded tire in the same compound.

Race slicks and Race rain tires have different compounds (rains are very soft comparatively).

Archived