LegacyGT.com

What did you do to make your Subaru handle / go in the snow?

exactly. studded tires use the old way of getting traction, and sometimes aren't safe in wet or other conditions. studless are the way to go; there's so much emphasis on the tech. going into studless that it's worth getting them over the studded.

One bad bg where do you live and what are you asking for them? I may be interested in buying the tires!

300 for the tires with the rims plus shipping. the pic i posted was taken after my engine blew for my partout thread, so they havent been driven on since that pic. there about 90% tread left on them, i only drove them through one winter. if you just wanted the tires. i could prolly do 200 plus shipping. im located 20 mins south of cleveland OH

comparing new top end studless with older-style studded isnt really a fair comparison.....

that vid compares new studless to new studded. so i still stand by studless is the way to go. if anyone is at a toss up with this, do what i did. buy good studless tires that have the holes in them for studs, drive on them for a while w/o studs, then put studs in them. then youll prolly end up doing the same thing i did, taking out the studs cause their kind of annoying and they didnt improve anything and sell em on ebay/craigslist.

I still have a really hard time believing that studless tires will outperform studded tires on a slick icy surface. One has metal spikes digging into the ice, one doesn't. Rubber, especially soft rubber isn't going to grab into ice. Look at the vid at 41 sec and you'll see that their course IS NOT slick. They have groves in it for better traction.

Furthermore, in the spring when melting my driveway with a 12% grade will turn into a complete sheet of ice. I have never seen anybody with any type of studdless tire make it up that. But studded tires do just fine.

course IS NOT slick. They have groves in it for better traction.

those arent grooves for traction:rolleyes: theyre parallel to the direction of tire travel. so this tells me 2 things. 1. you wouldnt get any better traction than if the surface was slick. 2. those grooves are from the tests with the studded tires. if they were gonna cheat and put grooves in the ice for better traction for the studless tires, the grooves would have been perpendictular to tire not parrallel

Snow tires! (General Arctic Altimax Snow/Ice 185/70R14... $45 a piece from TireRack!)

Seriously... these cars are absolute tanks in the snow with the proper tires. I got third place in my class (Stock AWD) my first time out to a RallyX, and I think a LARGE part of it was due to the nobby tires!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2742/4290493199_a882688213_o.jpg

Leaving tomorrow for a 180 mile rally in Finger Lakes Region (put on by SCCA FLR). Should be a good time! (7 hour drive each way though... not so much.)

Last weekend I volunteered at the Vermont Winter Challenge all-night rally up in Barre, VT. I was fortunate enough to work with John Buffum for the first control checkpoint.:wub:

Btw, anyone that's up in NH area and is interested in RallyX there is one being held at New England Dragway in Epping, NH. If you're even just curious, GO AND RACE! You will be hooked, trust me. ;)

EDIT: actually, it looks like they may be filled up. Oh well, it's definitely worth it to email and see if they're still accepting pre-registrations. Even if not, watching everyone spin out is pretty fun!

hey slickfast, if the rally is 7 hrs, take it easy on the track. the last thing you need is a broken control arm or tie rod. not saying drive like a granny. but from personal expeirence, when i lived in fl, i drove 5 hrs for an autoX and busted my driveshaftduring the event. i had to spend the night in a hotel and have mazda rush order me one which was waaaayyyy more expensive than i wanted it to be. good thing i had a lot of extra money lol.

What did you do to make your Subaru a real snow goer? Special tires? Suspension calibration?

I put a shovel in the back. I like to be prepared, ya know... just incase. :)

Absolutely nothing. I live in Wisconsin and drive on all season radials with no issues.

Archived