LegacyGT.com

Where's the "pshhhh"

Okay...new to turbo cars...

I always made fun of the guys driving srt4s (which i sell) because everytime they clutch there would be a big "psshhhh"

Is that the blow off?

What is a blow off if it is?

why don't ours do that?

Please don't flame me....

Even though I don't have a turbo legacy, I'm going to try and chime in before you get flamed..

Yes, that sound is from the cbv/bov. Read about them here http://www.fastwrx.com/whatisblowva.html

When the valve vents to the atmosphere, its called a blow off valve.

When the valve recirculates the air back into the intake system, its called a compressor bypass valve.

I'm almost positive your legacy has #2. The thing is, #2 tends to be quieter than #1, for better or worse depending on the person. Now I know what you're thinking, just go for #1 right? Well its not that simple, as your car has already metered the air that has gone through the intake. If you simply dump that air to the atmosphere with a blow off valve, it tends to cause issues unless you tune to fix it. You could go with an aftermarket valve which may be a little louder, but I don't think its worth the money.

I'm going to stop now since I can't comment on any legacy specific issues, and hopefully someone else will chime in with helpful info.

I always made fun of the guys driving srt4s (which i sell) because everytime they clutch there would be a big "psshhhh"

Actually I'm glad it doesn't do that...

That was one of my worries when i was thinking of buying one...

Turn your stereo down and you can hear a little bit when you let off the gas after hitting it hard. Its not a gaudy sound, but you can hear it. Its just a quick little wsssshh sound as opposed to a giant whoosh
It's cool; I'm with the band

I did a search for "psshhh" "wssshh" and others and came up with nothing...

thank you. you made my night. :lol:

every factory turbo car comes stock with a recirculating blow-off valve (aka by-pass valve, diverter valve) that doesn't go pssshh, since it's keeping the metered air inside

the pssshh that you hear from other turbo cars is due to an aftermarket bov venting to the atmosphere

Aftermarket BOV will give that sound. Keep in mind our current setup fully recirculates the air from the BOV.

I have an aftermarket BOV since the stocker tends to leak when you are running higher boost levels. Did have it set to 50/50 VTA and recirculate but was getting CEL codes every now and then.

Running 100% recirculate now and have no issues at all.

I can hear my BOV now that I'm using a metal intake pipe & short ram setup. Unfortunately nobody is listening to that part because of the horrific sound of the turbo pulling air in -- it also sounds like a big rig spooling up. I like it, mostly because nobody expects that sound to come from such a sedate car.

There was a guy showing off in his Powerstroke, enjoying his spooling noise, when I pulled up next to his open window and let him hear that my car could do it too. The look on his face was priceless!

I'm 55 and love the sound, my son removed the intake silencer when I first bought the car late Jun04. Makes it sound like a real performance car....LOL not your wifes station wagon. AKA Family Truckster. :)

Next thing you need to do is, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35764

Come on, stop beinging a old guy.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm 55 and love the sound, my son removed the intake silencer when I first bought the car late Jun04. Makes it sound like a real performance car....LOL not your wifes station wagon. AKA Family Truckster. :)

Eeeewwww, but to each their own. I thought it sounded like wind noise around the A-pillar of a 70s Chevy wagon and immediately put back the silencer.

^:lol:

I did a search for "psshhh" "wssshh" and others and came up with nothing...

Of course not! Didn't you read the article Apexi posted in post 2?

"comes with a decent compressor bypass valve straight from the factory, so for the most part it doesn't need upgrading. But a BOV makes a really loud "PSSSHHT!" noise at throttle lift, so some owners install the BOV for the sake of the sound."

You forgot the 't' at the end ;)

Archived