LegacyGT.com

Turbo Problems

Hello,

I am currently the owner of a 2008 2.5i and looking to jump into the GT world. I've seen a 60 page thread relating to blown turbos and while I haven't read through it all, it seems that the predominant number of them are on 2005s. Is there an inherent problem in the 05s that was resolved in later years? If I buy a car in the 50-60k mile range should I expect to be replacing the turbo soon?

Thanks for you help,

Keith

NOTE - THE FOLLOWING IS THE REASON WHY THIS PLACE NEEDS REAL TECHNICAL MODERATORS --->

I have come to the conclusion from reading this forum that the Legacy GT sucks and apparently you have to :(

/END

Now for the real answer. There is no actual "problem", some cars had turbo failures, most have not. There is no reason to assume that every Legacy GT is a ticking time bomb, but no one can give you a guaranty that you will never have problems with a Legacy GT or any other mechanical device.

I didn't say that I have concluded that the LGT sucks. I was just wondering if there was some issue with 2005s that caused them to fail at a higher rate than later years because there was some design change or something. I've read about the banjo filter issue, does this exist in all 4th Gen LGTs? I'm not asking for a guarantee that nothing will ever go wrong, I was just wondering if there were certain model years that I should look out for.

Those threads scared me too...but I pulled the trigger yesterday on an 07....my wife hates me...my son asked me why I bought a lesbian car....but he secretly wants to steal it now that he rode in it....and I feel guilty for buying something for myself....

but I'm glad I did it...of course I'm hearing all sorts of ticking and such too....Personally I'm going to buy a good warranty.

First time poster, long time reader of this forum. I don't usually post because most questions I have have already been answered. Nice to meet all of you.

TheHolyGhost: I have a 2005 LGT and I'm working on 91 thousand miles. I've never had any problems with my turbo and i've owned it since 2005. My mods: Perrin intake, BC Racing coilovers, Invidia quad tip exhaust, Invidia catless downpipe, short shifter (forget what brand), STi pedals, STi shift knob, BBS wheels, mud flaps etc etc.

Parts i've had to replace: Starter (just recently), Clutch, Struts.. Maybe it's the frost heaves in New Hampshire, but my family including myself have owned multiple Subaru's and their struts in my opinion are garbage. Coilovers were the best decision I made for my Legacy.

The whole turbo thing scared the shi* out of me when I read the variety of cases on the forum. But then I figured, I've gotten 91k out of my car so far and the turbo still spools like a champ. If it blows up on me, ill be pumped about buying a bigger one :). Be nice to your car, and your turbo, and most of the time it will be nice to you.

I didn't say that I have concluded that the LGT sucks. I was just wondering if there was some issue with 2005s that caused them to fail at a higher rate than later years because there was some design change or something. I've read about the banjo filter issue, does this exist in all 4th Gen LGTs? I'm not asking for a guarantee that nothing will ever go wrong, I was just wondering if there were certain model years that I should look out for.

I understand and I was not trying to give you a hard time at all. To answer your questions specifically:

1. There is no particular issue with the 05's

2. The Banjo filter exists on all 4th Gen turbos

and I've got 134k on my car and switched out my turbo over 20k ago.

I hate threads like the "blown turbo" one. jeezus christ man! every frickin car has some sort of problem. case in point look at the problems Toyota is having now.!!

Only means of "reliable" transportation I know of that won't break down on you is a bicycle.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

easy fix. check out your chain tension...if it's an old chain its probably stretched out.

or you need to do some adjusting to your drive system.

easy fix!

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

but I'm glad I did it....Personally I'm going to buy a good warranty.

I picked up a CPO 06 LGT in December. As such, it has a 100k/6yr power train (or something like that). I still went ahead and got the extra warranty (gold plus?). It had about 48k miles, about 50k now, about time for an oil change.

So far, I'm glad I did it too. For me, it seems to offer a nice mix of comfort and performance. And I'm glad I've found this GREAT community!

Ghost, go for the GT. I was looking at the 2.5i previously and liked it. So I wasn't surprised that I liked the GT when I found one. Also glad I got a manual transmission.

(if you get one, hopefully both our turbo's don't fail! :lol:)

OP:

Take every thread with a grain of salt. There are multiple reasons for peoples turbos going out. If all 05's were crap (which they are not) SOA would have had a recall.

When you find the LGT you like, spend the time to review maintenance records, extensive test drive, and shell out a $100 or $200 to have a 3rd party mechanic check it over.

Just my $.02

I just bought a 08 LGT and I took was stressed out.

Heres to extended turbo life!

-BB

Archived