LegacyGT.com

How many miles are on your 2nd gen Legacy?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the input everyone. So is there any way to tell when the hg's are nearing their lifespan? Increased engine temp and/or black stuff in the coolant? Does subaru have a recommended time/milage as to when they should be replaced? I'm sure I'm fine mileage wise at only 66k but is there a projected time span as to how long they'll last and when subaru recommends to have them replaced?

As I said. If there are bubbles in the coolant overflow.

There is no recommended change interval. I have a 96 with 312,000 miles on it and they are original, as someone else said it will give warning signs when its going.

Ah, but you have the 2.2. ;) 2.5 doesn't like head gaskets. :(

thats great news! no HG's for me then. The car is getting serviced as we speak and is supposed to be done later tonight. Is there a certain amount of time that I should let the new timing belt be "broken in" before I start pushing it up to 6K rpm's again?

thats great news! no HG's for me then. The car is getting serviced as we speak and is supposed to be done later tonight. Is there a certain amount of time that I should let the new timing belt be "broken in" before I start pushing it up to 6K rpm's again?

Wait until the engine warms up and have fun... If you get a 2.5 computer you can spin it to 6.5k :spin:

what's with all the 2.5 hate? My motor's only been apart twice!

... in less than 3 years

And you don't hate it yet? :lol:

I just swapped a 2.2 into mine.

And now that I'm in the 2nd gen thread I can't get yelled at for posting this :rolleyes:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z314/987687/98%20Legacy%20GT/230k.jpg

Is this in your GT? 98's didn't come with that gauge cluster.

And you don't hate it yet? :lol:

I just swapped a 2.2 into mine.

And now that I'm in the 2nd gen thread I can't get yelled at for posting this :rolleyes:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z314/987687/98%20Legacy%20GT/230k.jpg

My '98 Outback was towed to the mechanic today... Looks like new headgaskets are in order :( 216k on it, all else is good though.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

what's with all the 2.5 hate? My motor's only been apart twice!

... in less than 3 years

Same here! Here comes round 3. Been longer than 3 years altogether, though. I think these head gaskets lasted less than two years. Dealership did the work. Now that I have time, I'm doing it myself! Eff the dealer.

if the same engine keeps blowing head gaskets, putting new head gaskets in it is pointless. You need to have it checked out by a machine shop. The head may be warped, or the block deck not flat. Or something else...

well my headgaskets only leaked when I got the car with 130k, and they were original crap coated gaskets. Then I put in the new MLS gaskets (over the course of one night without any machine work) and didn't have a problem until I spun a rod bearing almost two years later. So when it came out for that I had to replace the crank, rods, pistons (with used stuff from my machine shop), and got the heads rebuilt and resurfaced while I was at it.

if the same engine keeps blowing head gaskets, putting new head gaskets in it is pointless. You need to have it checked out by a machine shop. The head may be warped, or the block deck not flat. Or something else...

Yeah each time you do them, the heads need to be machined and thicker gaskets need to be used.

1997 Legacy Wagon ej22 231k and still running very strong! Love them ej22's. Burns very little oil, not enough to matter. Building a Frankenstein Motor right now, going to be a beast once I swap.

I want to do that also! I have a 2.5 block that's been badly overheated a few times to seizure, but before I tore it down still ran and didn't knock. I'm looking at doing a full rebuild. Should be fun!

I'm also going to put cams in it, may as well while it's all apart!

I want to do that also! I have a 2.5 block that's been badly overheated a few times to seizure, but before I tore it down still ran and didn't knock. I'm looking at doing a full rebuild. Should be fun!

I'm also going to put cams in it, may as well while it's all apart!

Yea its going to be real fun when its all done. I am going to see how much power I can get out of this build. Delta Cams is the place to go!

Yea its going to be real fun when its all done. I am going to see how much power I can get out of this build. Delta Cams is the place to go!

Yea, delta for sure!

What grind are you going to get?