LegacyGT.com

WTF? Transmission won’t separate from engine. Need help ASAP!

jipedersen

Regarding the oil seals, I did not change mine and ended up with a leak on the passengers side. When I popped the axle out to take a look, it turns out I had pushed the round spring off the back of the seal and into the transmission installing the axle. Fortunately, I was able to retrieve it. The seal replacement is quick and easy and only costs about $7.00. Do not pull the side plates off the transmission if you do decide to replace the seals.

• 4 years later...

You need to stick a pry bar between the block and tranny and try and open it up.

The alignment pins are the issue. Use anti-sieze compound on all pins and threads when you go back together.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated
im having issues with this as well. Mines the 6 speed Transmission and it is currently just hanging off the back of the motor and still wont come free. Ordered some Kroil and gonna soak it and see what happens.

What do you mean by "hanging off the back"? Is it separated at all? The 6MT has a pull-type clutch, so you need the separate the pressure plate and TOB after you get the bellhousing and engine separated.

You need to stick a pry bar between the block and tranny and try and open it up.

The alignment pins are the issue. Use anti-sieze compound on all pins and threads when you go back together.

Any suggestions on where to stick a pry bar? top, sides, bottom? i've tried underdogs advice but its as if the thing is still completely bolted on.

What do you mean by "hanging off the back"? Is it separated at all? The 6MT has a pull-type clutch, so you need the separate the pressure plate and TOB after you get the bellhousing and engine separated.

All I mean that its not bolted or connected to anything anymore. I realize its the alignment pins, and i have had several issues in the past with this car having rust underneath it. It was a snow car for a few years before i got it so I've spent a while now replacing bolts and getting rid of old hardware as i go, this project included.

So my plan now is to soak the pins with some good stuff and try and pry again. and specifically good prying places anyone can remember would be a great help.

Thanks

-Brett

You can pry any place you can stick something...

May be try a few taps with a hammer around the guide pins.

May be try jacking up the tranny a bit past level.

The first time out is a PITA. Trust me, it get's easier.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I just went through this struggle, found what worked best for me was a flat head then chisel at the very top center of transmission/engine... just go to town. Ugh.. never expected to do this a second time :-( But I got this recently for proper motivation :-)

http://www.mikeyd.net/stuff/sti_small.jpg

• 6 months later...
I was having the same issues and pouring over Forums for solutions. I joined this forum specifically to share. I used a Air Hammer with a spade bit. I didn't have one sharp enough so I got the grinder out and ground one done. After 30 seconds with the air hammer the cases separated. So please share and this will save a ton of headache. Most newer drills have a hammer setting. I did use air, because i had it. But, in a pinch the drill might work as well.

Old thread. But a bottle jack worked great for me. I just put a piece of 2x4 on the firewall and positioned it so it pushed on the motor. Obviously, make triple sure everything is unbolted!

^That's a good way to damage,rip motor mounts.

That would not have worked for me. Evidently my subby was water damaged and unreported and not salvaged like it should have been. So lucky me I have a water damaged vehicle that I paid full price for. Regardless, the motor mounts would have ripped had I tried that.

• I Donated
I'd rather ruin 100k motor mounts than a bell housing or shortblock by prying in it.

Prying on a shortblock is not going to ruin it. Prying on a bellhousing is also unlikely to do so, unless you really hulk smash it.

when i did mine i used a small spackling knife and then moved to larger and larger prying tools until it finally popped apart. i cleaned up any corrosion on mating surfaces and put antiseize so it would someday come apart easier afain in the future.

Archived