LegacyGT.com

Question for those with 5MT...

• Moderators

Okay...So I had a bout with installing a MODE adjustable short shifter...long story short, I wasn't happy with it due to gear grinding no matter how I adjusted it. Anyway, my shifter is now back to stock and I am noticing a lot of play in the shifter in the north/south direction. I don't remember this being there before I did the work...? Left-to-right movement is normal for the shifter, but can anyone else with a manual tranny tell me if they have any/excessive play up-and-down on their shifter? I would just like to know if I possibly reconnected something wrong or not...

So...when car is running, and clutch is not depressed, can someone with a manual legacy tell me how much play there is in the shifter when wiggling it between 3rd and 5th gear?

Thanks so much.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I've had my Cobb STS (Mode) for over three years and I have had no problems.

I love it and couldn't imagine driving without it.

I also have the Cobb bushings and the Kartboy rear bushings installed.

I'm suprised more with the Cobb STS having replied yet.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

• Moderators

I think the problem might only exist in the 09s...there were multiple places where the shifter rubbed, including the cup that holds the bushing at the bottom of the shifter. I could not have altered this area even if i wanted to. I might try the kartboy next, hopefully it will fit.

Anyone else want to chime in on the up-down movement of the shifter, feel free...I really don't recall it moving as much as it does now...

• Moderators

Nope, I didn't get used to it...I took it out immediately due to terrible grinding noises when in second gear...sounded like it was grinding with the synchro.

I may try putting the kartboy in, as that seems to have less issues.

Mode STS with Kartboy bushings. Set throw height to max (notch line) and knob height to lowest (basically only threads showing) and did the recommended "cut the corner out" for the plate. Worked great right off the bat, no issues since.

• Moderators
cowtipper..after your response it is clear that it must be the '09s...my car had multiple contact points when installing the mode STS...including the area that held the shifter bushing at the bottom of the lever (translate: not able to modify!) I'm glad everyone else can adjust accordingly, but I cannot. booo!!! gonna get the kartboy, as i already have the bushings :)

Have you tried emailing Mode Racing? One person emailed me about my order and was very helpful (William Brooks). The shifter says it's usable for 05-09 Legacys. Do you have a picture? If I set the throw length too long, I could imagine the shifter hitting the base easily.

• Moderators
I did not email them. I do believe they are helpful though, seems like a great company. Seriously though, the shifter did not fit. I could get it to fit regarding some contact points, but not all. Inevitably, adjusting to fit one thing would cause friction in another place. The kicker was the grinding noise when I put the car in 2nd gear...sounded terrible.

Archived