LegacyGT.com

anny body got CATLESS uppipe suggestions for my LGT 5mt??

MDKSDMF

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha if i paid for that job believe me id kick my own ass.. my little brother is fresh into mechanics (his 2nd year) so when i have some stuff i need done i give it to him to take to work and have fun with it lol..

i told him the welds dont have to be pretty just strong which they are, theres a lot of them too, the heat shield isnt moving, as far as polishing its not really polished just took a die grinder or some sort to it im guessing. once it go's on ill never see it again so i apperence means nothing to me..

for being fresh into the auto mechanics field, he can weld very well. for teching himself that is lol

EDIT: i forgot to say that some welds were previously on there when i bought it, the seller said he did some quick ones before shipping

See. It was free, and his brother got some practice. Win, Win.

Damn tjbev21, I wish I could get my 6MT shifter that short. Even with the Mode set as low as it will go the reverse lockout mechanism makes mine 2 inches taller than yours. Might be the only time I wish mine were shorter, lol.

lol well how about i trade you my 5mt for you 6mt? lmao

yanno now when i drive it doesnt feel short at all, then i take a look at the before pics like ZOMG lol...

yea that reverse lock out kinda fucks you over huh? same with my brother and his buddy with cobalt ss/tc's. they envy the shortness :)

I purchased this same uppipe, I have not installed it yet, but it looks very good quality for the price paid! LosAngelesLGT if you have any pics of the install id love to see how it fits in before i install mine.

Its an UPPIPE man. Its 3"... Well if you want I have a bunch of pics... PM me your email and I will shoot em over to you. I am not posting em yet till I do my writeup.

The flanges are THICK! I image at least 1/2". Yeah this is the one M Sprank was on about too. Only issue? Leaky EGT bung but I care less, I'll pop pop that closed with a weld and thats that.

It fit fine. I have installed two now. One on an LGT (then removed and installed on a WRX) and the one on LALGT's car. The biggest issue has been that the first one had no studs or threads in the turbo flange. I had to use bolts and nuts (that were supplied). The second one had studs and the flange was tapped. But, the studs were too long to use on the two locations under the Bellmouth of the DP. I don't think any DP would fit using those two studs. I had to use bolts on those two locations. The EGT bung is also useless. It is not a flare nut fitting and does not allow the OEM flare nut to bottom out, so it will never seal using the OEM EGT. You have to use the supplied plug (bolt) and a resistor. No big deal. Especially for a $30 uppipe.

haha if i paid for that job believe me id kick my own ass.. my little brother is fresh into mechanics (his 2nd year) so when i have some stuff i need done i give it to him to take to work and have fun with it lol..

i told him the welds dont have to be pretty just strong which they are, theres a lot of them too, the heat shield isnt moving, as far as polishing its not really polished just took a die grinder or some sort to it im guessing. once it go's on ill never see it again so i apperence means nothing to me..

for being fresh into the auto mechanics field, he can weld very well. for teching himself that is lol

EDIT: i forgot to say that some welds were previously on there when i bought it, the seller said he did some quick ones before shipping

Thats a deal then, as long as they hold. I work around fabricators all day at work and see my boss critique their work to the smallest detail so that's where I'm coming from.

I'm sure if your brother is passionate about welding he will get that bead real nice and perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty

It fit fine. I have installed two now. One on an LGT (then removed and installed on a WRX) and the one on LALGT's car. The biggest issue has been that the first one had no studs or threads in the turbo flange. I had to use bolts and nuts (that were supplied). The second one had studs and the flange was tapped. But, the studs were too long to use on the two locations under the Bellmouth of the DP. I don't think any DP would fit using those two studs. I had to use bolts on those two locations. The EGT bung is also useless. It is not a flare nut fitting and does not allow the OEM flare nut to bottom out, so it will never seal using the OEM EGT. You have to use the supplied plug (bolt) and a resistor. No big deal. Especially for a $30 uppipe.

Good info to no, that will help a bunch. I just wanted to no because i would hate to get into a big project like this and have a bunch of issues because things didn't work right with the uppipe. Now i can be prepared. thanks sprank.

yanno now when i drive it doesnt feel short at all, then i take a look at the before pics like ZOMG lol...

:)

Yours is so short mine looks like a 80s pickup with shift on the floor. I definately need to shorten it.

you want the flex if you auto cross or track your car. you don't want a uppipe to have a leak going around the tight corners with everything moving around a bit. I want to get the grimmspeed up, looks like the best quality up out there.

^I don't completely understand... If everything is moving around a bit too much in tight corners doesn't that mean replace pitch stop, tranny mounts, engine mounts, bushings etc?

Engine should not move nearly enough to cause a leak. OEM is rigid. Flex area is not to make up for engine movement during cornering. It is for ease of installation and alignment to non oem parts.

If your engine moves enough to cause an exhaust leak you have way bigger issues. How the hell are you going to set up your suspension to account for the "slop" under the hood. Engines move, yes. On their mounts. Mounts should not give enough to cause pipes to bend and flanges to leak.

THAT IS WHY I SAID A BIT. Lets read someones post and stop bashing people on here. Im giving my opinion and from what I have herd. if the flex part on the up from what you have said " ease of installation and alignment to non oem parts". then every up would have them, right. I guess giving your opinion on this form dosn't matter anymore. That is all i have to say.

you want the flex if you auto cross or track your car. you don't want a uppipe to have a leak going around the tight corners with everything moving around a bit. I want to get the grimmspeed up, looks like the best quality up out there.

THAT IS WHY I SAID A BIT. Lets read someones post and stop bashing people on here. Im giving my opinion and from what I have herd. if the flex part on the up from what you have said " ease of installation and alignment to non oem parts". then every up would have them, right. I guess giving your opinion on this form dosn't matter anymore. That is all i have to say.

I was not bashing you. I was stating a fact/opinion.

Not all manufacturers use flex because;

1-it adds cost

2-it becomes a possible weak point (like breaking apart into the turbo as some have done).

You like your GS and this is great. I too have had good experiences with Grimmspeed.

No one is using flex in pipes to make up for engine movement during hard cornering. Mounts should not move that much and this is their job (not the pipes).

Calm down, we are all just trying to help each other avoid mistakes, expenses.

Archived