LegacyGT.com

anny body got CATLESS uppipe suggestions for my LGT 5mt??

MDKSDMF

I already know what down pipe i plan on running so i just need help figuring out what up pipe to go with. i am gonna run an ERZ 3" DP btw. i know all about the flex vs solid debate so i just wanna hear what some forum members are experienceing first hand with both. thanks guys

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm running a grimspeed coated pipe with their gaskets and a COBB downpipe and I've been very happy with it. Install was easy and no leaks.

Same setup for both UP and DP here.

Running the UP for 2 years and the DP for 3 years with no issues.

Both great quality pieces.

hmmmmmmm i know for sure that my buddy has a couple STi ups laying around. although the grimspeed looks tempting. prob go with the STi so i can say i have "sti parts" for street cred. (that was a joke)

I already know what down pipe i plan on running so i just need help figuring out what up pipe to go with. i am gonna run an ERZ 3" DP btw. i know all about the flex vs solid debate so i just wanna hear what some forum members are experienceing first hand with both. thanks guys

Honest answer? Seriously? Don't even waste your money on a $60-80 STI up. Get yourself a M2 up. They are available on ebay with a buy it now of $10 and a shipping of $20 you just gotta' find it.

It is what I have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M2-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STi-2002-2003-2004-05-06-Up-Pipe_W0QQitemZ390146989407QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5ad6929d5f

The welds are fine. It is shiny and pretty. Comes with gasket.

Or not! It is not much of a savings but hey, if you are like me, every dollar in that turbo jar is that much closer to stage 3 goodness

Wow, that's really affordable. Not sure how it would perform compare to the brand name ones.

Its an UPPIPE man. Its 3"... Well if you want I have a bunch of pics... PM me your email and I will shoot em over to you. I am not posting em yet till I do my writeup.

The flanges are THICK! I image at least 1/2". Yeah this is the one M Sprank was on about too. Only issue? Leaky EGT bung but I care less, I'll pop pop that closed with a weld and thats that.

cool. i figured the oem sti would work. what did you do to reinforce the welds? and do you know the diameter of the pipe?

The welds that hold the heatshield in place commonly fail due to vibration. Had a muffler shop just reweld the broken welds and reinforce them so I wouldnt have to worry about it happening again. The diameter is the OEM engineered pipe diameter that these pipes were originally supposed to work with. Do you really hear of STi guys ugrading their uppipe unless they are doing full headers or EWG? Anything beyond the STi uppipe is a waste of money IMO. You will see no, and I repeat NO performance gain from an aftermarket uppipe versus an OEM STi uppipe. But you will have the added benefit of an OEM flex section, which will probably be higher quality than an aftermarket flex section.

On the search for a new DD...

Archived