LegacyGT.com

Those of you tracking your Legacy, what are you using?

Craig S

Ok, after reading way too many threads I'm getting close to buying something.

It sounds like the coilovers I want are out of my price range so I'm back to springs/struts. I have always done well with Bilstein so that's probably what I'll get for struts, now I have to figure out springs.

The Eibachs got great reviews, but of course they are gone (I had the Eibach pro-kit with Bilsteins on my M3 and they were great). Edit: Looks like there are still a few kits around, so I'll probably grab one of those instead of the Teins.

The pinks get good reviews but I have a hard time paying $500 for springs, while the Tein H.Techs are priced well and also seem to have fairly positive reviews. I like the fact they aren't lowering the car down into the weeds too. H&R is another brand I've had on my cars, and while I liked them I've never had the Sports (only the Race) so am a little wary of going too soft. I can't find rates for them to compare to the H.Techs, unfortunately.

Does anyone know the rates on the H&R Sports?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If your not looking to slam your car into the weeds you should also take a look at Whiteline's Control Springs. They have two lines, the Controls (30mm drop) and the Flat Out series, (60mm?) drop. I've had good results running JDM Rev. A Bilsteins and their Control springs. The amount of drop is super minimal. Unless you had a stock comparison right next to it you might not even notice. Can't remember the rates, but I'm sure they're available on their site. They are certainly stiffer than stock but are tolerable on our somewhat crappy roads here in Portland. No idea why no one ever mentions these. Whiteline sells a fair amount of other suspension parts but you never hear about their springs. These are my second pair, ('98 GT Wagon, and now my '05), and they are a great option for a very slightly lower, firmer spring rate set up. Wife and baby approved :)

I think about am inch drop would be perfect (25-30mm) so those might be an option too. I'll see if I can find the rates.

Unfotunately it seems that all the places listing Eibachs (which also lower the car about an inch) are actually out of them. I am not sure why they don't update their web page to reflect that.

Here's my DD + track day setup on a budget

1st day on track:

AVO LCA Bushings

Rallitek Springs on stock Bilstein struts

Hawk HP+ brake pads on stock rotors

Stock RE050 tires on stock Spec.B wheels

0 camber alignment

Day 1 impressions- Lots of fun! The car was still pretty new to me, so this day really helped me get a feel for how the car handles. Never felt any brake fade getting up to 115 on the straights and 70-80 on turns. Still felt alot of body roll during the long wide turns. Was running mid 2:30's lap times on a 15 turn 3 mile course

2nd day on track:

MB Weapon 18x8 wheels

Toyo T1R 235/40/18 tires

AVO Rear Sway Bar

gutted DP + Cobb AP

0 camber alignment

The days after i put each of these next mods on, i had once of those "holy crap what a difference" moments, and that was just on the streets. The tires went on first, and added 5-10 mph on turns. The AVO Sway bar went next, and made an amazing difference to how the car feels/handles on turns. It got rid of alot of sway, and made the car feel really agile. The gutted DP + stg 2 Cobb OTS definitely made WOT alot more fun too.

On the same track, I was able to take 12 seconds off my lap times. I also had about 10k more miles of experience driving my car, so I had a much better feel for how the car handles. Passing the m3's in my race group made my day!

Since then, I switched to Pink springs with -1 camber & 0 toe, because I wanted something stiffer so that I can take high speed turns faster. When comparing Rallitek springs to Pink springs, I'd say that Ralliteks are faster exiting the tighter moderate speed turns, but I felt more comfortable with the Pinks on the more highspeed turns (80+mph). Both are comfortable for a DD, with the Pinks being 20% stiffer.

I keep the HP+ pads off while daily driving, too much squeal.

Hope any of this helps, I think with all this I was able to keep the total tab under $1200, and really changed the car's performance like night and day.

Ggood luck & have fun!

Archived