LegacyGT.com

Another 68HTA w/FMIC/AVO intake 93oct pump only full tune

Ridgeracer

I never got a straight answer from Jon(HBspeed) on the Momentum 50T. He claimed it should perform like a Green but from experience, not on no 93 pump..as Shamar and logs show..:lol: I had it run race gas once but that was before Shamar tuned it for me but from the dyno numbers it seems happier running either meth or race gas...oh and a full 3" DP which I still lack...:(
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never got a straight answer from Jon(HBspeed) on the Momentum 50T. He claimed it should perform like a Green but from experience, not on no 93 pump..as Shamar and logs show..:lol: I had it run race gas once but that was before Shamar tuned it for me but from the dyno numbers it seems happier running either meth or race gas...oh and a full 3" DP which I still lack...:(

Is there more in it. Can you up the boost to 21 or so psi at red-line?

Thought I would update this thread for anyone interesting in this turbo w/FMIC on 93 oct pump. I have Mikeyd helping me sort out boost. Just bumping up my WGDC a little at a time, log, repeat....

Ok here are some more updates. Did a few revisions to my map with help from Mikeyd.. It's about as fast as a stage 2 car with only 12 psi..:lol: As per Airboy's sheet I'm at 285whp/281wtq in 36 deg weather. I hit 4.5v on the MAF as well. Going to try and get another 1-2 pulls in today, wash and repeat to finalize boost control. Are you guys sure about the AVO intake not getting maxed out? I might need to taper this bad boy up top.

romraiderlog_20100128_043142.csv

Ok here are some more updates. Did a few revisions to my map with help from Mikeyd.. It's about as fast as a stage 2 car with only 12 psi..:lol: As per Airboy's sheet I'm at 285whp/281wtq in 36 deg weather. I hit 4.5v on the MAF as well. Going to try and get another 1-2 pulls in today, wash and repeat to finalize boost control. Are you guys sure about the AVO intake not getting maxed out? I might need to taper this bad boy up top.

I'm running the same setup on E85 and my AVO intake has never maxed out.

Of course I can't take any credit, my car is tuned by Infamous1. You'll love your new setup though, have fun!

The last pull I only got up to 5800 rpm so highest MAFv was 4.38v @ 41 deg. I'll be able to get a good run in tomorrow morning which I'll post. From what I have seen so far, you have to run a good bit of wgdc to keep the door closed. This is considering the fact that I have a Prodrive EBCS.

New log. Got some boost oscillation after spool up that I'll fix in the next few revisions. WGDC are still a bit off but getting close. Only hit 4.72 MAFv @ 17psi up top. Later I'll see if I can up the boost up top another 1.5psi. Temps were 18 deg F.

Airboy's spreadsheet shows 317whp/337wtq..

romraiderlog_20100129_050747.csv

New log. Got some boost oscillation after spool up that I'll fix in the next few revisions. WGDC are still a bit off but getting close. Only hit 4.72 MAFv @ 17psi up top. Later I'll see if I can up the boost up top another 1.5psi. Temps were 18 deg F.

Airboy's spreadsheet shows 317whp/337wtq..

I am seeing more and more of this lately..looks like the boost/maf oscillation is slight compressor surge. Believe it or not I would get this on my stock turbo in the cold; I think it is a result of trying to cram too much air into the the engine. The air backs up and slows the compressor wheel and thus the oscillation.

FWIW another member here with the same turbo is dealing with the same phenomenon.

I read about this on the RR forum from a guy with a 20G... here: http://www.romraider.com/forum/topic5210.html

I am seeing more and more of this lately..looks like the boost/maf oscillation is slight compressor surge. Believe it or not I would get this on my stock turbo in the cold; I think it is a result of trying to cram too much air into the the engine. The air backs up and slows the compressor wheel and thus the oscillation.

FWIW another member here with the same turbo is dealing with the same phenomenon.

I read about this on the RR forum from a guy with a 20G... here: http://www.romraider.com/forum/topic5210.html

Might not be the same issue...My TD proportional was set at 26 so it was adding to final WGDC during spool. As soon as it saw boost error go below 1 psi it cleared and dropped it to initial.

Quick question guys....could running 1 deg less timing up top = a 10whp loss? I was just comparing some logs of my old Momentum 50T where I ran less boost up top with 1 deg more timing vs. more boost up top with 1 deg less timing. I actually made more power with less boost. I think I'll use the same strategy here. I think my FMIC core is too small for this turbo...:(

Wow, the title says it all.

I'll hop in on the bandwagon as I qualify for the everything listed on the title...:lol:

My log in between revision so not finalized, but hoped to have the boost leak fixed yesterday.

I have the same type of oscillation in boost.

FireB Log 1-29-10.csv

Log taken yesterday with pretty much the same temp as you were.

I have no experience in Tuning but would it be possible that the Wastegate opening is sluggish initially causing like spike and opens fully after that slight hesitation?

I am sure my tuner should be able to fix it as he has done everything wrong on my car without even seeing it...:eek:

If it's compressor surge, you should be able to hear it. It happens on my 20G in 5th gear - boost builds too quickly and the compressor sounds like it's slipping. When it has happened, boost didn't fluctuate though - it stayed relatively flat.

In both logs, the wastegate value drops. It just looks like the boost settings need to be tweaked a little to tune out that initial drop after the boost target is achieved.

This is a sweet thread. I am really impressed with all you guys that do your own tuning, maybe one day I will have time to mess with my own tuning as well. Just seems like theres a big learning curve to do it.

This is a sweet thread. I am really impressed with all you guys that do your own tuning, maybe one day I will have time to mess with my own tuning as well. Just seems like theres a big learning curve to do it.

Still learning myself too. Just alot of emailing, datalogs, reading....and more threads like this. On another note....This Prodrive EBCS is not working out too well. I have to run super high WGDC to maintain boost. Same thing I had with the old turbo. I'll be switching to the GrimmSpeed EBCS next month or sooner if I sell my old Momentum 50T...

Wow, the title says it all.

I'll hop in on the bandwagon as I qualify for the everything listed on the title...:lol:

My log in between revision so not finalized, but hoped to have the boost leak fixed yesterday.

I have the same type of oscillation in boost.

[ATTACH]79641[/ATTACH]

Log taken yesterday with pretty much the same temp as you were.

I have no experience in Tuning but would it be possible that the Wastegate opening is sluggish initially causing like spike and opens fully after that slight hesitation?

I am sure my tuner should be able to fix it as he has done everything wrong on my car without even seeing it...:eek:

Even with your boost oscillation you are putting down some serious power. You have a Spec B.?

Even with your boost oscillation you are putting down some serious power. You have a Spec B.?

Yea, Spec B with a Badge Delete.....LOL

So I lose about 50whp :rolleyes:

But again, yesterday was like North Pole temp so that's why it might have looked good.

Highest MAF V was 4.74V so it did pickup little more power compared to my leaked pipe setup of 4.66V.

But again, I am not a tuner and don't know how much of a difference that is.

I am hoping my tuner will find my leak completely gone.

Up top, it does not look as bad as what I had.

Check this log out and see how bad the boost leak was.

1-27-10 log.csv

Up top it's nothing compared to what I have right now.

Glad Infamous found out that I did have a serious leak.

:icon_bigg

Archived