LegacyGT.com

Anyone have General UHP tires

peteyjr

In the market for new tires. Wore out my Falken FK 452's after a little over a year and about 25 k. They were really good tires but wore out kinda fast. Looking for something different. Considering the General Exclaim UHT . Heard good about them on the tire rack website. Anyone have input?

Do you mean UHP? If so, I wouldn't recommend them for the LGT in stock size.

They are the lightest 215/45/17 tire you can find, and that comes out of the sidewall. I ran them on my 2006 Civic SI in the stock size (215/45/17) and with 600 pounds less than your LGT, the tire didn't feel right.

I would've gotten 25k miles out of them if I didn't get a huge-ass bubble in one and then, while rotating it to the back, found a nail in the tire on the other axle. Replaced them with 18k on em with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S in 225/45/17. Worlds and worlds better, albeit more expensive.

I have them on our family car - Mazda5. Purchased them last spring and probably have 15K on the set. No complaints - well balanced, quiet, with a neat tread pattern. I'm guessing I won't get more than about 25K out of them, though, but they're aren't hughly expensive, either. Can't comment on winter traction as I run Dunlop Winter Sports on another set of wheels. Wet traction/stability was good during the warmer months. Handling-wise, I have no complaints. I'd buy them again.

- Allen.

If your not looking for an all out performance tire I must say we have been selling these at the dealership and people love them. Excellent in snow, nice quiet ride. Every customer I have put into these loves them. Good price and warranty too.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Sport+Signature&partnum=145WR7SPSIGXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I'll add my winter experience in my FWD car (with the same tire width as the heavier legacy, so bearing that in mind too): It was terrible. And I'm someone who thinks the re92s are halfway decent even with 30k on them.

Forget braking traction. These things were tough to get traction in 1" of recent snow and a slight incline.

They were well balanced, had great dry traction, looked good, and had a comfortable ride over more minor stuff (less comfortable over bigger stuff).

For around $70-80 a tire, it's hard to complain, but I wasn't happy that they wore so quickly and bubbled. My Michelins were 2x as much per tire, but will last about twice as long and provide better performance in just about every area except maybe fuel economy (they are 7 pounds heavier per tire) and braking (slightly less sticky and heavier).

Joe

Living in Fla snow is not a problem (Although is has gotten down to the 30's a few times this year already.

Also considering these Michelin's: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+Plus&partnum=245YR8PSASXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

But at over 200 a pop I'm not too sure. Tire rack has the UHP's at 110 for my size. Also considering Kuhmo AST and the Continentals. I'm going to be running more neg camber so I have to weigh thow-away-ability vs initial cost.

I have these in 225/35/R19. First set Ive owned of these and I would probably buy them again. Price cant be beat, especially in 19's and they get good ratings because they are a good tire. When I bought my set I also gotta $50 gift card from tirerack.com

Get them.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? -George Carlin

Archived