LegacyGT.com

Why subaru leaving WRC worries me

KurtP

It worries me because there is no more development ground for serious subaru racing backed by the company.

I fear, that their concern for performance in their vehicles will begin to go the way of TRD's "performance"

thoughts?

Doesn't TRD spend most of their time on those off road truck racing circuits? My other car is a auto-x prepped Toyota Celica and TRD doesn't offer much for me. They put their name on some KYB shocks and some Eibach sway bars and call it a day.

I agree, Subaru has a rich history with rally, and it does seem somewhat strange that they are get out all together. I was watching a WRC show on TV and notices Subaru didn't have any cars in the mix. I would doubt they do anything drastic any time soon.

Subaru is officially in with their group N Impreza in the IRC:

http://www.ircseries.com/html/Manufacturers.asp

WRC is going to one engine formula, everybody else uses inline, so Subaru is out:

"The date for introduction of the 1600cc turbo engine for the WRC car has been

brought forward to 2011 to bring it in line with the engine used in the cars on sale

to the public."

WRC is insane.

those rules that mandate inline transverse drivetrains basically singled out subaru, and blasted them out of the series.

And also pretty much cuts off any alternative hardware.

Subaru didn't have much of a choice, and I am glad they didn't say OK, and change their cars to transverse inline, and ditch the boxer and symmetrical driveline. It is superior.

I hope they do well in IRC, and that the prepared Forester does well at Dakar.

Screw WRC, if they want to be morons.

Its the same thing they did to Audi with quattro. Any time a team comes up with something that works that others dont want, they ban it.

Id rather them not enter a 1600cc inline 4 type power plant in it at all. Why?

Sooner or later thats what we will get for our cars...

Another thing to look at is given the state of the current ecomomy, many auto companies have trimed, or eliminated completely, their racing programs. Whether it be ALMS, F1, SuperGT or whatever, companies aren't justifing racing dollars right now, although I think (hope) the worst is over. I can only hope that Subaru doesn't go down the road of Honda, and completely eliminate anything worth racing in. I have been a Honda guy my whole life, still am, but they have absouletely nothing interesting to me in their current/future lineup of cars. I too hope Subaru does well in the IRC.

Its the same thing they did to Audi with quattro. Any time a team comes up with something that works that others dont want, they ban it.

Id rather them not enter a 1600cc inline 4 type power plant in it at all. Why?

Sooner or later thats what we will get for our cars...

I've never followed WRC, although it interests me. What happened to Audi Quattro in the 80s? I thought the banning was against all Group B vehicles, not just Quattro?

Subaru has been out of the WRC for 2 years now. The inline engine wasn't an issue when they pulled out. It was a sudden pull out that left both Prodrive and Petter Solberg hanging. Petter still had another year left in his contract. They left for financial reasons. Though they weren't doing all that well either.

It's not like Subaru was the only company that pulled out of the WRC. Skoda, Peugeot, and Mitsubishi all pulled out within about a year of each other.

The point of rally is to put engineering to the test, engineering which eventually trickles down the production line and ends up in daily drivers. I'd rather Subaru not participate than come up with a WRC-unique motor.

I agree, I feel that the rally history of subaru has greatly contributed to the overall quality of the product I now own. I have bought my last three subaru's based on the proven powertrain and engine setup.

I really enjoyed watching Subaru compete in the WRC before they pulled out. Even this season I found myself cheering on Mads Olsberg (sp?) just because he was driving a Subaru. While it sucks that the WRC had to go and make more unfortunate changes to their rules, I am happy to hear about the IRC. However, I am worried that there is no way in hell I am going to see any of this action televised in the US.

Yeah, I watched WRC on HD Theater, their recap season ended in December. I won't discuss it, as not to spoil it for you.

But that said, I have never seen any broadcasts of the IRC series. Perhaps its too new? Maybe we should start writing the Discovery Networks :rolleyes:

WRC is like the FIA. Ban first, then sort out enforcement later. Only the FIA bans things to keep drivers competitive. Things like active suspension got banned to factor the driver into the race more.

WRC bans things just for the sake of making news. They may well have had a good reason to require a specific engine layout, but that's just how it comes across.

That said, isn't Subaru putting their all into JGTC? I thought they were going to heavily compete in the JGTC350 series?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

i only know that Subaru has teamed up with forgot the company name to let the JDM 2009 legacy B4 compete in the SuperGT/JGTC GT300 series.

they used to use a Cusco sponsored Impreza before stopping for a year and now using the legacy.

WRC wise, subaru is not that active anymore....and wrc is gay like FIA now if they have engine bans. like what the hell...

Archived