LegacyGT.com

To Warranty or Not To Warranty - 2005 LGT

bluereserve

Hello,

Just signed some papers today on a LGT, 2005 5 Speed with 71.5K. Car is real clean and has a solid service record.

Was wondering what you guys thought about a warranty. I can get either a 12K/1 year or 24K/2 year powertrain for 1200 and 1500 respectively.

My biggest potential future repair would appear to be the turbo. Is this expensive? What do people think about these warranties offered?

the turbo is easy to fix. and with a little help from someone who has mechanical know how (if, like me you don't) you can easily replace it. took us 3-4 hours tops. i've got 130k on my 05 GT and we replaced mine at 120k with a used turbo that had 18k on it.

all for $350. so if you ask me if you have a clean strong car I'd think the warranty is junk.

but it's really your decision in the end.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

The most common recommendation regardless of type of vehicle is to take the 1200 or 1500 and invest it in some sort of interest bearing account and use that money for any repairs your car might need. There are a few good reasons for this. One, your money continues to work for you instead of disappearing. Second, you don't have to worry about convincing someone that a given repair is under warranty, as this can sometimes be awfully difficult. Third, money spent on a warranty is gone whether you ever use the warranty or not, and in all likelihood when you sell your car at some point in the future you'll still have some money left in that account to either spend or roll into your next car. There's always risk involved if the need for some very significant repair arises, but more often than not you'll come out far ahead this way.

Recently purchase an 05 Legacy LGT with 68k miles from dealer. Warranty price was 12/1 yr. for $900 and 24/2 yr. for $1200. I was a bit concern about the turbo going out and other mechanical issues, so I got the 24/2 yrs. warranty just to be safe.

I thought about getting an extended warranty when I got my LGT in Feb last year, but then did the math: If a dealer charges $2K for new turbo and you're only paying half that for the warranty, chances are they're gonna find any way they can to get out of covering it. Even people under factory powertrain warranty have been denied coverage due something as simple as lack of oil change records.
Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I thought about getting an extended warranty when I got my LGT in Feb last year, but then did the math: If a dealer charges $2K for new turbo and you're only paying half that for the warranty, chances are they're gonna find any way they can to get out of covering it. Even people under factory powertrain warranty have been denied coverage due something as simple as lack of oil change records.

id just like to share my experience with the extended warranty. i purchased my 05 legacy gt 5eat with 38000 miles on it last february. i purchased from a good subaru dealer and was given the option of getting the extended warranty for an additional 500. considering the car was used, i decided not to take the risk and got the extended. when i purchased the car, the turbo was acting up so they replaced it before it was delivered to me. at 41000 miles, the car began to lose power going down the road, while i could hear the turbo spooling shortly after. the car died in the middle of the road and had to be pushed to the side. it was towed to the local subaru dealership where i service it at, and it turned out the whole entire and turbo blew (something let go in the turbo and caused severe damage to the engine). they replaced the whole engine, no questions asked in just over 2 weeks. if i hadnt got the warranty, it would have cost 9000 to replace they told me (obviously i wouldnt have paid that but thats the cost of a brand new engine + turbo + labor). i have had no issues since, and make sure to go to the same subaru dealership so they know me well now.

i spoke to a technician thats works on the turbo cars (and fixed mine), he said this is an issue that has come up with often, and they replaced my engine with a revised turbo to fix the issue. id say, DEFINITELY GO WITH THE WARRANTY, especially since your buying a used car. you never really know how the other person treated it, subaru turbo engines are very reliable IF properly taken care of. that means oil changes every 3k miles. id say definitely go the warranty, best of luck to you

Service records don't tell you that the car wasn't beat on. There's no way of knowing that, unless you had the car from day 1.

Service records also don't indicate if the mechanics had any clue of what they were doing.

My 05 is at 75k right now and the only thing I've had to fix was the clutch.

My 05 is at 75k right now and the only thing I've had to fix was the clutch.

My 05 just rolled over 60k. I bought the 100k gold warranty when I bought her, and i've used it twice, no problems, no questions asked. Once when the Intercooler blew tabs on a stock tune (intercooler got replaced) and Once when the throw out bearing starting whining horribly. They took apart the transmission, and said everything looked pretty worn and the TOB was dead (at 38k). I plead my case saying the faulty TOB caused premature wear on the clutch disk and pressure plate too...they replaced the whole clutch assembly for me.

I bought my warranty for 1450 and it's paid for itself when comparing what the dealer would have charged for these services. I'm sure I could have fixed them myself for less (especially when considering buying one of the many TMICs in the classifieds) but having the convenience of a free rental, and letting the dealer take care of it was worth it. I go to school 15 hours a week and have a full time job - if something breaks in the middle of a semester i'm screwed time wise.

Also, i'll say it depends greatly on your dealer / service manager. If mine was really picky about warranty claims, and mods I may have thought otherwise. I was stage 2 with gutted cats and an STI Genome Axle back when the TOB went out and still didn't have a problem. I know other dealers that are local to me that wouldn't be that cooperative.

I bought the platinum warranty. It was a good decision at the time...

...then I joined this forum. $8k in aftermarket parts later I wish I could go back in time and smack myself for thinking I was going to resist modifying my car.

It'd be nice if I could cancel the damn warranty since I never used it and even if I tried to I'm sure I'd be denied. lol

I bought the platinum warranty. It was a good decision at the time...

...then I joined this forum. $8k in aftermarket parts later I wish I could go back in time and smack myself for thinking I was going to resist modifying my car.

It'd be nice if I could cancel the damn warranty since I never used it and even if I tried to I'm sure I'd be denied. lol

How long ago did you buy it? I thought they did pro-rated refunds up to a point.

A lot of good posts here. I ended up getting the 100K mile warranty for the 2010 LGT. Why? With the 6MT and Turbo, I'm pushing the engine into the mid/high RPMs far more frequently than with my 2007 4AT Outback. I've got total peace of mind as warranty lets me push the car and not think even once about it. If I had gotten a 2.5 w/CVT or the 3.6R w/5AT, I probably would have not gotten the extended warranty.

Hello,

Just signed some papers today on a LGT, 2005 5 Speed with 71.5K. Car is real clean and has a solid service record.

Was wondering what you guys thought about a warranty. I can get either a 12K/1 year or 24K/2 year powertrain for 1200 and 1500 respectively.

My biggest potential future repair would appear to be the turbo. Is this expensive? What do people think about these warranties offered?

I am not against one, but they have priced those right at retail (if they are Subaru Added Security versions). Discounted versions are definitely available and can save you a few hundred dollars just by asking for a discount.

Archived