LegacyGT.com

350Z driver gets owned

Guest heightsgtltd

ok, so from the opposite perspective, if you see someone committing a crime, driving recklessly etc., and you are a cop off duty, you should just say, **** it, I'm not on duty it's someone else's problem? :confused:

It would be shady if he did any of the above on his own, but he didn't. He did it with a uniformed on-duty cop in a marked car.

You seriously don't see the difference?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok, so from the opposite perspective, if you see someone committing a crime, driving recklessly etc., and you are a cop off duty, you should just say, **** it, I'm not on duty it's someone else's problem? :confused:

Is that what you got out of my posts? :lol::rolleyes:

It would be shady if he did any of the above on his own, but he didn't. He did it with a uniformed on-duty cop in a marked car.

Way I see it, call your buddy, act as a witness but let your buddy do the talking, issuing the tickets, etc. You seriously don't see the difference?AGAIN, I'm sure an actual PO will chime in and tell me if I am wrong or not.

Guest heightsgtltd

I'll try to break it down if the points I am making are too complicated for you :)

Do you seriously think that all cops never drive above the speed limit when off-duty? Don't you appreciate the fact that there are some cops who are car enthusiasts and may be more likely to turn the other way when you are caught speeding? That's also something that he said. In other words, you are holding him to a standard that you don't actually adhere to yourself just because he's a cop?? :lol: :lol:

and as for your second point, the cop got this guy off the road who was driving unsafely and erratically, prob. would have casued an accident and hopefully the shit scared out of him. So using your logic, he called his buddy and entrapped an innocent driver? :lol:

since he was the only witness to what the kid did before his partner that was on-duty pulled the kid over, he should have the legal leeway to help write the citation for the kid. and he can't do the same thing off-duty as on-duty. he had to get his partner to pull them over since he can't legally.

btw if you want to become a cop just so you can "street race anyone then pull them over" have at it. i wonder how long you would last as a cop if that was the only reason for joining.

I'll try to break it down if the points I am making are too complicated for you :)

I'm going to stop right at that sentence because I have no interest in carrying a conversation with somebody that resorts to insults if someone else happens to have a different point of view.

Guest heightsgtltd
I'm going to stop right at that sentence because I have no interest in carrying a conversation with somebody that resorts to insults if someone else happens to have a different point of view.

Is that what you got out of my posts? :lol::rolleyes:

Yup, that would be you ;)

I have yet to insult you. We have different points of view.

Guest heightsgtltd

For anyone else interested in continuing the conversation amongst adults, the OP clearly didn't automatically call his partner to pull the guy over. He had multiple contacts in a row with the 350Z driver after he repeatedly tried to get away from him. It was after 4 or so attempts to engage him that he called his partner to pull the guy over.

Please explain how that was somehow wrong?

Guest heightsgtltd
qft

If that's an insult to you, you must have a pretty thin skin :rolleyes:

and you clearly didn't since you weren't aware of all of the facts

I have read the thread clearly, yesterday, when it got posted. I was in the process of editing my reply, it was an unintentional slip but you had responded in the meantime. Yes, I even read the full 5 pages on the original board. When I wrote that it didn't sit right with me that the off-duty cop himself wrote the citations and summoned for license and registration, you wrote "Unclear if it was written by him or his partner". So I guess you and I both didn't read the thread.

Guest heightsgtltd
No, I read the thread clearly. My point was even in his story, I don't know whether it was really him, or the partner that did it. That may in fact be something that is a regulation in those situations, but it certainly fits his story to make it sound like he did it himself..

Count the Is in the statement I quoted, maybe it will become more clear. You got defensive ever since it was first suggested this story might not be real. I was skeptical myself from the get-go. An off-duty cop can't pull someone over but he can issue citations?

Guest heightsgtltd

I hardly got defensive, I just think it's BS when someone says "this story is fake" and then offers zero proof to back that up esp. when there seems to be evidence to the contrary-- as I mentioned, he had posted the actual citation in the thread and then pulled it

To your earlier point, let's see if a LEO chimes in for this thread. My understanding is yes, once an on-duty has pulled someone over, if he witnessed the crime or infraction, he can then identify himself as a LEO but I am not one, nor do I know if that differs by state or jurisdiction

To my knowledge that's not true. If you see something happening you can get involved, but it's better, as in this case to involved actual on duty officers too.

Not only can you get involved but I'm pretty sure you're obligated to get involved. Not sure exactly the rules on that or if it's every PD but I'm almost positive you have to do something. You can't just walk away & say you're off duty.

Now if you see something & nobody knows you're a cop & you do nothing then who's to say I guess.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

An officer's authority doesn't end when they clock out for the day.

The traffic stop was initiated by a marked police vehicle - safer than using an unmarked car. The citation was issued by the officer who witnessed the infraction.

What's so fishy about that? Sounds like SOP to me.

OP had the ticket scanned in, with the names blotted out. He quickly removed it so I never got a chance to see it. Still sounds like a "cool story bro" to me. Sorry. Partly because it sounds not only vaguely familiar, but strangely convenient, with reasonably bad grammar for a PO. A cursory search found me this, but now I can see how I'll be accused of seeing similarities in every little detail of other stories

...grow up!

It didn't really bother me so much when you pulled out right after I made that right onto Washington Blvd, nor did it bother me when you pulled around me to go instant WOT only to ride someones ass a quarter-mile down the blvd.

What bothered me was the fact that you drove recklessly through moderate traffic TRYING to catch up to me after I drove past you. I understand that you have a very fast car, and very beautiful car at that; but don't be arrogant about it...not everyone is out to race you! Just a friendly reminder...the next person you BLOW PAST or RIDE UP ON could be an off-duty cop going home from a long day of work.

You're lucky I didn't phone in to some of my buddies at the ACPD or the VA Troopers and put a BOLO out on you.

Happy driving and take it easy bud.

/rant.

(I know you're probably not here but I needed to vent.)

Posted 3/23/09 involving a 335

Guest heightsgtltd
OP had the ticket scanned in, with the names blotted out. He quickly removed it so I never got a chance to see it. Still sounds like a "cool story bro" to me. Sorry. Partly because it sounds not only vaguely familiar, but strangely convenient, with reasonably bad grammar for a PO. A cursory search found me this, but now I can see how I'll be accused of seeing similarities in every little detail of other stories

Posted 3/23/09 involving a 335

:lol:

That doesn't sound anything like the thread we are talking about. The OP in the this thread posted a number of times and actually sounds extremely level headed

Secondly, he removed the citation because the thread was spreading all over the place, actually a smart move

Wether or not this story is certifiably 100% real doesn't matter, because the "message" is more important. This isn't science fiction, cops do drive in unmarked cars for a variety of reasons and it's just a matter of time, statistics, roll of the dice etc. until you do some stupid shit on the street and get into some bad trouble.

Count the Is in the statement I quoted, maybe it will become more clear. You got defensive ever since it was first suggested this story might not be real. I was skeptical myself from the get-go. An off-duty cop can't pull someone over but he can issue citations?

I'm a LEO, and yes, it can happen, and it would happen almost exactly how the OP described. Have I ever done this while off duty? No. Could I if I were in the jurisdiction that I work? Most definitely.

i can tell you from experience that a off-duty cop can and will arrest you if they feel the need is warranted. it happened to me many years ago with an off-duty cop i thought he couldn't do anything b/c he was not in uniform and i was wrong.

life lesson: don't **** with cops they just call more cops and then you're done.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived