LegacyGT.com

Who's ready for Snowstorm 2009?

Bolksey85

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seriously no shame in not doing that...the roads were horrible around here...I was plowing the road with my lip.

Most of the main roads around here are clear now but they will probably be very icy tonight. The side streets and developments around here are already packed ice.

I did do work today though. ;)

i went out last night and drove around. then i got stuck on my driveway coming back = fail

but yeah i'm worried about the ice tmw morning, a lot of snow melted today and it was wet on the roads, esp the main road by my house. i also happen to live on a huge hill......

my deck:

http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/Weather/Central-Virginia-Snow-2009-Dec/Snow-2009-Dec-20-014/745445139_oqejM-M.jpg

http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/Weather/Central-Virginia-Snow-2009-Dec/Snow-2009-Dec-20-013/745444840_Qtcmd-M.jpg

beers on ice ;):

http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/Weather/Central-Virginia-Snow-2009-Dec/Snow-2009-Dec-18-058/744476770_vTYvG-M.jpg

Had a great time playing snow soccer and football. I was surprised that my car was pretty decent in the snow, considering that I have the OEM RE050 summer performance tires. Maybe they did well since they are relatively new (3K miles) and still have deep tread but I was pleasantly impressed. This was after trying to dig my girfriend's 350Z out of a street parking spot thinking she had winter tires only to find that she had one winter tire and 3 summer tires. She abuses the hell out of that thing. I mean, seriously, who would put used tires on a sporty car?

Cut and Paste from NASIOC. Sorry for the length, but figured I'd just put in the questions that were asked, since I'd likely get the same here, and likely won't check the board again for a number of days.

I'm complete disappointed with my Subaru overall. Of course I am regretting more and more the car. This storm was just yet another disappointment. I'm sure for all you guys that like dry weather performance and track racing sure...but overall, the AWD is just simply not that much better than other FWD vehicles I've driven. One in particular is the Chrysler Minivan Series (going to get a 2005 or newer at the next vehicle). I've done much better in snow with similar tires and overall the Minivan actually tracked better. To me the AWD is only good for getting unstuck, but I've never had an issue of getting stuck. Add to that the ridiculous gas mileage (I averaged only 9mpg for all the driving I did in the snow...that's pathetic!!!!!) Of course part of it is ground clearance, but I wasn't that impressed with anything the Subie did! With the crazy amount of repair costs (of any Subie), the bad gas mileage, and not so impressive mileage (dry wx and especially in snow...and likely TX mud), small size, small gas tanks, lack of good mechanics and lack of mechanics that charge a fair rate, I won't likely get another Subie!

I spent all day streaming live video as well as getting stock video and photos from in and around DC.

That said, here is a picture I took early in the storm on the 19th in Bethesda, MD

http://www.weatherwarrior.net/winter/bydate/091219/IMG_13929web.jpg

Later on in the day I took this one downtown DC on Pennsylvania Avenue near 15th Street in front of the Willard Hotel:

http://www.weatherwarrior.net/winter/bydate/091219/IMG_13993web.jpg

And a picture of the capital during the storm:

http://www.weatherwarrior.net/winter/bydate/091219/IMG_14064web.jpg

1. what tires? how much tread?

2. 9mpg = something wrong with your car most likely. i drive my sti hard and still get better mileage than that.

3. don't expect honda-like gas mileage out of an awd car.

4. i, along with many other members, don't have crazy amounts of repair costs. working on subarus is easy.

5. lack of good mechanics? our area has some of the BEST subaru shops/mechanics in the whole COUNTRY! mach v, iag, turboxs, andrewtech, agile just to name a few.

6. no mechanic charges a 'fair' rate, any shop/garage charges anywhere from $80-90/hr.

1. Kumho...but not the ATX, forgot exact ones at the moment. Yes, I know snow tires make a difference, but so do they on a FWD car...which is my point.

2&3. Yeah...don't doubt it, but I've been only averaging 17mpg for months, with nothing wrong (without totally tearing apart the motor to figure it out). It is a 97, but compared to other 97s...it's bad. Yes, I don't expect it to on AWD, but I do expect it to do better even. I was pushing the car hard all day, so it could simply have been the amount of deep snow I was in.

4&5. The amount of threads about repairs and such would say otherwise. No, no one complains....seems overall that spending more than $800 in repair costs is acceptable to many scoobie owners. I can't say for others outside MoCo, but so far, the locals have not lived up...and when I get an estimate for a $600 repair for a part that I later find has nothing wrong with it, I question it, regardless of how many kiss-asses of the place there is. Another place telling me I needed a new transmission...when I never brought up a problem, and no OBD codes ever came up. I'm 0/5 on repair places. I can't work on the car myself, don't have the place to do it, so easy or not, I'm forced to depend on a shop.

6. Luckily the place I went to before the Subaru charged $45 to $75 per hour depending on the work (expertise needed) instead of the flat rate at any of the Subie shops. I realize it's a business, but I personally don't want to pay that. I did laugh though....Pep Boys is the most expensive....$100/hr...WTF?

I'm not poopooing Subaru's totally, but overall, they are just not going to cut it for my needs. They just can't handle the kind of conditions I put a vehicle through. I find that to be the case with most imports actually. Sure they last longer on average, but not when you drive for hours in snow, sand storms, in hurricanes, in chasing tornadoes down dirt roads. This car can't even handle the amount of power I draw (for power computers, cameras, communications radios, with the headlights, wipers, and heater running. Apparently the alternator is too taxed by all that, and I have yet to double check, but have yet to find a higher (say 120amp) power alternator. So it's just an assessment I thought I'd share. I'm sure it pisses a lot of folks off that I'm no subaru weenie that praises the Subaru Gods. I'm sorry, the car (and other subaru's) have not proven their worth to me.

I'm going up to Buffalo this weekend. I'll post some pictures of my scoobie parked next to the snowbanks touching the power lines!:lol:

p.s. What the hell is on your roof? can I set my weatherbug app to that? lol nice pics of D.C. in the snowy weather though.:D

What the hell is on your roof? can I set my weatherbug app to that? lol nice pics of D.C. in the snowy weather though.:D

It will be possible to get that data via the internet eventually. I'm in need of software interface at the weather receiver console, that's it. Not sure if it'll be on WeatherBug, but it will be posted somewhere (wunderground likely) as well as my own website.

So yes, what that is: A mobile weather station. It can record wind, temperature, dew point and barometric air pressure. I use it for all my chasing activities.

Thanks for the comments on the pictures...and yes, that is the Willard.

Here is one more:

http://www.weatherwarrior.net/winter/bydate/091219/IMG_14012web.jpg

garage roof...probably a foot or more of snow on it

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/jjbhoops30/Roof.jpg?t=1261266736

be careful with that much snow on the roof. if you get too much the roof could collapse depending on your psi rating. last year i had to pay someone to shovel my roof as i was concerned of falling off, needless to say i actually heard one of the guys slip and fall on the roof but didnt slide off. this year i bought a roof snow rake to save some money.

just spend the last 3 hrs snow blowing the driveway and i only got 3/4 done and about 1/2 the road in front of the house. the road is anywhere from 2ft to 3ft deep and i am expecting sometime tomorrow or monday to get plowed out. we did stock up on $300 of food last sunday before the blizzard hit which has lasted almost 48hrs. the state closed about 80% of the roads in the state yesterday and they are still pretty much closed till tomorrow, and the city pulled all plows last nite and parked them at the police/fire/ambulance centers for emergencies only.

but this is normal for here so, we just sit tight and surf, watch tv, and play games.

• 1 month later...
Looks like we're really gonna get smashed this weekend. Even worse for those Southern NJ/De/Md people. Better get your shovel out, StopLight!

Yea boi, I've been hearing any where from 12-18 inches or up to 24 inches of the fluffy white goodness. I can't wait to do some more cyclones and what not that comes along with owning a awd car :)

Be careful out there all

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Yea boi, I've been hearing any where from 12-18 inches or up to 24 inches of the fluffy white goodness. I can't wait to do some more cyclones and what not that comes along with owning a awd car :)

Be careful out there all

Haha, I'm still one of those run and hide people in this crap. I might venture out Saturday afternoon depending on what it looks like by then. If the majority of it is gone, than it's game on but if a lot of it is still there, than I doubt it.

Looks like we're really gonna get smashed this weekend. Even worse for those Southern NJ/De/Md people. Better get your shovel out, StopLight!

I bought 3, 50 lb bags of rock salt today for my house and my grandparents house. I have one of my shovels in my trunk ready to go...no snow blower though. :(

Tomorrow I'm going food shopping after work...then I'm firing up the PS3 for a weekend of video games and movies, but if the power goes out I'll cry. lol

Be careful out there all

Better come back with some awesome pictures. We are only getting 1-3 inches up here.

We are supposed to get anywhere from 6-12inches of additional snow to what is already on the ground. I am at work and it is coming down pretty good and only the Subie customers are coming in:D
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I bought 3, 50 lb bags of rock salt today for my house and my grandparents house. I have one of my shovels in my trunk ready to go...no snow blower though. :(

Tomorrow I'm going food shopping after work...then I'm firing up the PS3 for a weekend of video games and movies, but if the power goes out I'll cry. lol

If you have a farm store nearby (Agway, Southern States) try urea instead of rock salt. It's used at the airport(s) because it's non corrosive to the airframes, works great melting ice, it "melts" so you won't track it in your house, and it's a nitrogen base fertilizer so the runoff makes the lawn green in a few more months.

The downside is it'll lift paint off your concrete guaranteed (why airports repaint the lead-in lines every Spring) and if you buy hundreds of pounds you'll be visited by the FBI. When mixed with diesel fuel it's an explosive. In its natural state it's perfectly benign and will last for several years. Buy the granulated version in lieu of the pellets so it doesn't clump together.

Better come back with some awesome pictures. We are only getting 1-3 inches up here.

Oh you know I will :)

Maybe I'll do some data logging in the snow also :lol:

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

The Service Manager closed the service dept up early(Salesman have to stay which sucks for them) and on my way home saw a car off the highway, 10 feet up an embankment backwards. Why the hell do people drive that fast in this mess? Oh it was a Toyota too :lol:
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

The Service Manager closed the service dept up early(Salesman have to stay which sucks for them) and on my way home saw a car off the highway, 10 feet up an embankment backwards. Why the hell do people drive that fast in this mess? Oh it was a Toyota too :lol:

bet you that person is blaming it on a stuck accelerator pedal...lol

They are now saying the potential for 12"+ more here in MD from this Tuesday night storm.

The Forecast Team expects snowfall by 7 PM Wednesday to reach or exceed 12 inches along the I-95 corridor from Baltimore north to Philadelphia as well as southeastern PA. We expect many locally higher amounts near 20". NOAA's HPC Snow & Ice Team has already throw the B-word into the mix. The Philadelphia metro NWS of...fice is using the phrase "explosively developing."

AWD is great and all, but ground clearance is an issue since my street is low on the totem pole to get plowed.

Archived