LegacyGT.com

any ideas for 500whp in 05 lgt?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With all that work, why are you selling it? It seems like you should enjoy it for at least a little while. I've driven a 519 AWHP Legacy and I have to tell you, it's a gas. You should drive the car and you might not want to sell it.

I'm shooting for 450-500hp at the wheels..... 20k is a stretch..... so far I would say i'm between 8k-10k for all my mods.... by the end i'll probably be at 15k tops with a 6mt and 450+ hp. The biggest chunks of money are probably the engine mods and machine work....400+ whp isn't really that hard especially with e85 to fall back on.

hmmm.... thats 8-10k in parts and machine shop work, so that number may be misleading now that i'm thinking of it..... I dropped a bunch of cash in tools and equipment as well which you also have to consider. Labor is a factor! Who's going to do the work, you or some shop...

Ive never really heard of a car that's high performance and bullet proof while trying to be economical at the same time..... unless your rockin a diesel engine, won't really happen.

I already have 3k designated for the oh shit I blew up my built motor fund!!

Can't really count tools as you'll have them forever, even if you sell the car. Labor is whether or not you enjoy doing the work and if you're working towards a 500+ AWHP car, then you must enjoy it. It's too much work just to do to build a car to sell, especially when if you put it all back to stock (except for common sense upgrades like RSB mounts, panel filter, etc.), you'll almost always be able to sell it easier and faster and still have a lot of money in your pocket.

One thing about these cars, and that is if you drive one that's absolutely bone stock, with stock turbo, stock wheels, stock drivetrain, stock sway bars, etc., they are still a great bang for the buck.

Can't really count tools as you'll have them forever, even if you sell the car. Labor is whether or not you enjoy doing the work and if you're working towards a 500+ AWHP car, then you must enjoy it. It's too much work just to do to build a car to sell, especially when if you put it all back to stock (except for common sense upgrades like RSB mounts, panel filter, etc.), you'll almost always be able to sell it easier and faster and still have a lot of money in your pocket.

One thing about these cars, and that is if you drive one that's absolutely bone stock, with stock turbo, stock wheels, stock drivetrain, stock sway bars, etc., they are still a great bang for the buck.

agree with stock being a bang for the buck and small low cost upgrades are nice. mine is 388 whp. on the track it's plenty, 300-325 is prefect. 500 would be too much to enjoy. over 400whp, you will need to invest $5-6k easily to avoid failure and 2-3K in suspension to make it hold on the track. and even with that, the engine will fail. i've moved away from tracking my wagon and now play with my brz on the track. i have 21k+ invested in my wagon. and that's just parts.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey I just picked up my car finally, it’s great, I was just wondering your thoughts, with 500+ whp legacy what kind of times would I look at at a strip? Not taking it there it’s a street car, but just wondering how my car would compare to these new big engine monsters, like a hellcat for example

400whp and a good driver with a solid 60’ would net around 11.5-12.5 depending on trans, tires, track conditions and temperature. Add 100hp and you would see high 10’s with a good driver. Just look up wrx and sti slips with similar power.

Hellcat will destroy you. You might beat it off the line, but the auto trans will never miss on the Hellcat and it will drive away. I've driven one and it's unbelievable plus it's civil as a DD too, if you wanted to do that.

the hellcat is no joke..... like seriously lol.... they all come with like 700-800hp... and most of them get like 600+ hp easily at the wheels.... and if you toss in hp to weight ratios, your talking like 3500 vs 4500. So 500whp/3500 lbs gives you a ratio of 1.42-1.43 hp for every 10 lbs vs 600whp/4500 with 1.33 hp for every 10 lbs. They both are awd depending on year i think. But american muscle with automatic in a straight line... thats like the fundamental formula for kicking ass in the quartermile..

500whp lgt vs 600+whp hellcat, would be close, wouldn't say destroy. I'd say it could go either way.

The special cop model from some company has awd package,I guess thats why I thought they were awd, and there have been talks about it for a long time, figured they would have already. So rwd and a lower hp to weight ratio.... the 500hp lgt could win, its got more power to weight and awd, only drawback would be the manual transmission, but its not a game ender, you just have to know what your doing. I would shit on that hellcat :lol::rolleyes:

My car was built for big power, aiming for 600ish. I had to scale back on the power level once the kids starting popping out lol. I ended up making a little over 400 with stock exhaust manifold and cat back. She had some problems with the original assembly and cooked a head gasket. That was two yrs ago, she should be back together in a couple of weeks. Should be going up for sale not long after...

Tehnation, I was well into the 20k range on the motor alone.

For $20k+ into the engine, unless you REALLY need/want a wagon and/or Subaru, wouldn't a Q50 (Red) Sport AWD + pipes + tune be a little easier to do? With $5k for better fuel pump, E85, etc, they're getting into the 10s. And they're built for 400 hp stock, so you wouldn't need to beef up as many things.

Getting an LGT (non-Spec B) reliably into the 10s seems like it would cost $40-50k.

Then there's that guy on Facebook selling his 1000+ hp STI race car for $50k in IL..

Like I said my car was dynoed at 540 to all wheels on a Mustang Dyno that used software that could do virtual road simulation, it ran a couple virtual drags between 10.8-11.4. That’s why I started with these questions in the first place to see everyone’s thoughts about what I would really run, and yes I can drive nicely lol, and my lgt I’m about 30k I’m in extras, built closed deck, suspension, sti trans, big borg Warner turbo rotated, fuel system

2005 Subaru Legacy GT

with brand new sti outfront motorsports closed deck built shortblock, Made 544 all wheel hp.

STI heat treated crank

Manley H-Tuff rods

CP 9:1 pistons

King XPG main and rod bearings

Killer B pickup tube

Killer B windage tray

STI 11mm oil pump

Ported B25 cylinder heads

GSC stainless intake and exhaust valves

GSC valve guides and seals

Stock STI valve springs

OEM camshafts

ARP head studs

All subaru gaskets and seals

Gates timing belt and water pump

TGV deletes

ATI super damper

Dual catch can setup

Megan racing engine mounts

Drivetrain

05 STI 6 speed

05 STI r180

Legacy auto driveshaft

New OEM spec b rear axles

17 STI shifter assembly

MAP DCCD controller

Whiteline rear diff mount bushings

Torque solutions transmission mount

Torque solutions shifter bushings

ACT HD pressure plate

ACT 6 puck sprung disc

ACT streetlite flywheel

Fuel system

FID 1300cc injectors

DW340 fuel pump

In-tank fuel filter deleted

Upgraded wiring to fuel pump

Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator

Aeromotive 10 micron fuel filter

Flat4 fuel rails

Aquamist HFS-4 methanol injection with 3 gallon fuel cell

Turbo stuff

Custom equal length twin scroll turbo manifold/ crazy rotated setup.

Twin Tial 38mm wastegates

Borg Warner s366 turbo with 0.91 twin scroll T4 housing that brings a lot of power with less boost

PTP turbo blanket

Treadstone TR8 intercooler with custom piping

Tial 50mm BOV

3" turbo back exhaust

4" bumper exit exhaust optional

Hallman pro rx boost controller

Omni power 4 bar map sensor

Engineered cooling products 66 mustang radiator

Half size a/c condenser

Steering Suspension Brakes

ISC coilovers

Eibach 12kg front springs