LegacyGT.com

Subaru(Pastrana) to perform record jump on New Year's Eve

CapnJack

such gems as: "for this jump, they have moved the inner cooler to the top of the motor, keeping it out of harms way." :orly:

that one got me too. Also how they were saying that no other car can accelerate to 90 in 900ft. I checked my time slip from the track and i went 84 in the 8th and thats only 660ft so im sure i got 7mph in another 240ft since the 2nd 8th i trapped 106.

Im not saying my cars faster than his but im sure he was at 90 some already by time he was near the jump and was just holding pace at the 90 some mph he needed to be at for the jump.

They also said that if your in mid-air when you rev the engine the front end will lift and when you press the brakes the rear end will raise. Does that make any sense because it doesnt to me but im not sure.

It's the rotation of the wheels. When "floating in space" and the rotational mass of the wheels and tires accelerates, there's a pretty decent amount of momentum increase towards the front of the car. The car, free to rotate itself, reacts in the opposite direction, lifting the nose. Likewise for braking, but the opposite.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Think how applying the rear e-brakes at speed causes the front to dive. It's a similar principal, except totally stopping the rear wheels while they're spinning in the air (like this jump), causes the body of the car to rotate downward from the rear wheels forward.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Inertia.... if you watch the vids you can see travis pull the parking brake in mid air to get the nose to dip

ahhh i see now, i was wondering why he did that. i spotted that in the slow mo replays too

and yea, the commentary was retarded haha but i was flipping back and forth between some other channels so i didn't catch it all.

Yeah - if I had seen that it would have torqued me to no end. I really tire quickly of all the pre-game "color" commentary and if I were watching it, I would have 1) turned it off until the actual event; 2) muted it and done something else, or 3) watched something else until the jump. The mind-numbing blah, blah, blah, blah, blah gets old fast. :mad:

Too true. :lol:

:whore:

It's like the annoying 4 hour Super Bowl pre-game show. Start the f*^&ing game already!! :mad:

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Didn't they say at the beginning of the show that he had an adjustable rear wing, so he could move it in mid flight to adjust the angle of the car.

I think that's what he was pulling on.

Except that you can see the rear wheels stop suddenly midair from the outside views...

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Archived