LegacyGT.com

New Battery Or Battery Charger

So being cold in the winter time, I notice that my car is less happy than usual starting in the morning. Using my multimeter at cold, the battery is reading 12.49 volts. From the research that I've done, I am getting to the point where I will need to replace it. My other 2 cars are reading 12.59 and 12.57.

The question is,

(1) is it worth replacing the battery preemptively,

or

(2) is it worth investing in a product like the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-VEC1095ABD-Battery-Charger/dp/B000EJV5II/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2Q7QISVHJW4X8&colid=35QZ20DDSLF9W]Black & Decker VEC1095ABD[/ame] to charge the battery up again.

You have an 08? Your battery is under warranty till 36k miles. No reason at all to get a new one or need to maintain it, even in CT. Should start up fine down to, say, 20 degrees, and maybe struggle a bit after that.

Subaru isn't known for putting weak batteries in this line of cars...I'd expect you to get 5 years/60k miles of good service (at least) out of your battery.

I should have given more info. I run an amplifier off the battery as well, so that is somewhat draining I'd assume. Also, I have 45K on the car.

Interesting that you say 20 degrees because thats been the temp when it sounds pretty unhappy.

I was pretty surprised when I saw the voltage so low on the cold battery. I was under the same assumption as you guys - that it will/should last quite a bit longer. Seeing as the voltage is what it is though, is it worth a replacement or a charge from the kind of product as listed above, or maybe I'm overthinking what may be a normal occurrence...

in cold batteries will perform less...the volts will be lower than if they were warm. a little tip for weather starting. if your battery was good the day prior and no lights were on to drain it, but can't get enough CCA to start, try turning on the lights for a couple of minutes...this will help warm up the battery by running juice through it, then try and start the car.

Unless you have motorcycles, atv, or some other use for a charger like that, I suggest you save the money and use it on a battery (unless yours is under warranty).

I have a high end charger and I use it for my motorcycles but very, very rarely on a car battery (but it HAS happened).

If you are Mr. Moneybags, yeah get a charger. If not, get a good battery.

Archived