LegacyGT.com

Russian Food...That means you, Ruski

Abandonhope16

Lucky, there are 2 Polish restaurants within a 100 miles and since they're so rare they're often packed :-/

They have a good stuffed cabbage, I've always heard them referred to as pigeons, I think they're called golubtsy. Vareniki (russian dumplings) are usually pretty good too.

Granted I do enjoy Polish and Russian food quite a bit, it can be kinda bland, just depends on how they prepare it I guess.

Thanks. I ended up going with the Lamb Shashlyk, very good. I was going to go with the beef kabob, but thought this would be a little different. The Mrs got the Kulebiak (Lamb Pastry), which was also very good; had a bit of a nutmeg flavor to it.

Overall, it was very good; not cheap but very filling.

next time try borsh, and either pelmeni (dumplings with ground meat) or vareniki (dumplings with ricotta and sometimes different berries). Kiev chicken cutlet is usually pretty good too.

Salads are usually good as well as any marinated stuff like mushrooms.

Shiskabob is not authentic russian food, it's caucasian (from Caucasus) but nevertheless pretty popular in Russia/exUSSR. Same goes for plow (central asian food), but it's pretty good too.

for desert ask for kompot (various berry drink, semisweet).

the kind of place you go to makes a difference, plus the way it is cooked will vary a lot - as they say back there, each family has it's own receipt for any dish.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Archived