LegacyGT.com

If Subaru won't build a new Forester STI... PIA/Cobb will...

IwannaSportSedan

VIDEO: PIA/Cobb Tuning give the full STI swap treatment to Subaru Forester

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/12/forrester_to_sti.jpg

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Fantasy-Forester-Full-STI_724278.htm

Jonathan Ramsey, Autoblog

Pacific Import Auto (PIA) came across a Subaru Impreza WRX STi that had been removed from service by a telephone pole. With a new Subaru Forester at their disposal the Pacific Northwest tuning shop decided to marry the two, throw in a generous number of Cobb parts, and the result is a mean white wagon with 295 horsepower and 325 ft-lb. of torque – at the wheels. For comparison, a 2010 Forrester's engine is rated at 224 horses.

The man behind the project said he wanted "a nice looking car, something that nobody else had," so little has changed outside. Underneath, in addition to the beating-again heart of the STi, Cobb contributed a downpipe, front and rear sway bars, and AccessPort ECU remapper. In back, an SPT exhaust is responsible for that deep down sound. Follow the jump to watch the video story.

[source: StreetFire]

That is a nice looking/sounding vehicle. Would be nice if they offered an "STi" version of every model, like the M/S models for BMW/Audi.

STI versions of their performance oriented vehicles at least.

STI Impreza, already have. Hot sport compact.

STI Legacy, WAY overdue. Flagship sport sedan.

STI Forester, also overdue. SPORT-ute. (think junior varsity or little-league Range Rover Sport, with correspondingly affordable price.)

Arguably, that is exactly what PIA/Cobb seem to be building. :D

They had BETTER have an STI version of their half of the FT-86 project.

I dunno that people are asking for STI versions of the Outback Sport, Outback, or Tribeca.

STI Forester, also overdue. SPORT-ute. (think junior varsity or little-league Range Rover Sport, with correspondingly affordable price.)

I dunno that people are asking for STI versions of the Outback Sport, Outback, or Tribeca.

I would buy an STI Tribeca... (and an STI Legacy, not sure about an STI Forester.) Not interested in the STI Impreza (except maybe the '07 STI Limited). I find myself leaning towards either an S4 or S6 from Audi, in spite of the reliability problems.

I care less about the STI Legacy - I want a H6 TWIN TURBO supercar with 400+hp, that is what I want to see =P

nice... but damn the costs..... $40-50K for the swap?? and that isn't including cost of forester or does it?

50K...

a base Forester XT, a wrecked STI from salvage, and a few new Cobb parts, and an SPT exhaust... a couple of little bits to convert from automatic to manual on the forester's interior, from a base forester 5-speed...

Both vehicles and all the other parts probably cost less than $50K... Labor might be expensive... but I wouldn't think there would be too much fabrication or anything... most should just assemble like legos.

...a couple of little bits to convert from automatic to manual on the forester's interior, from a base forester 5-speed...

How much work would be involved in this? I actually prefer the look of the 2010 Forester XT to the 2010 LGT, but I don't really want a 4-speed auto and it seems like it would be easier to convert the auto to a manual then the base Forester manual to a turbo.

-Brandon

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT3

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB

I can't imagine that it would take that much... people put 5MTs and 6MTs in SVXs, which never even were offered with a manual gearbox.

The shifter and pedals from the manual base forester, or even a wrecked donor manual gearbox subaru... the interior trim piece for the manual shifter from the base forester... A master and slave hydraulic cylinder. (master from base forester, slave that matches the gearbox's bell housing for push or pull type clutch engagement.)

The transmission control unit might be the dicey part... but someone who knows the canbus architecture of the new Imprezas and Foresters should be able to tell you if the TCU can just be removed, or if there are other differences between a manual equipped car, like a WRX or STI, vs. an Impreza GT or Forester XT with an automatic.

Theoretically, with a 2009+ take-off turbo from a WRX, and the ECU, in addition to the manual gearbox and rear diff swap, you would probably upgrade the engine output to WRX's ~268hp, from the base Forester XT/Impreza GT's ~230. or possibly waiting to see if Subaru will build this for you, as they are rumored to be considering a Forester XT-Sport, which could very well be a mix of Forester's body, and WRX's manual-trans, higher-horsepower engine and drivetrain.

Correspondingly, upping the engine's specs, or swapping the engine entirely for an STI unit, is what PIA has done, and you basically get a WRX STI under a Forester body.

Underneath the body, I would think that the Forester would be much the same as the Impreza. Lower suspension mounting points, maybe but the driveline fittings should all be cross compatible.

Transplanting the transaxle (pulling the flex-plate and torque converter off the engine, as well, in favor of a flywheel and clutch... likely 2009 WRX fitment, if one were to use the WRX's 5MT... STI fitment if using it's 6MT, or Legacy GT Spec B's 6MT.) and the associated compatible rear differential shouldn't be mechanically that difficult at all.

the devil is probably in the details, like checking to see if any subaru pedal box will fit, or if you have to specifically use the 2009 Forester X parts... and so on, and making sure that the electronic control systems, cruise control, etc... are happy with the change-over, and using an original WRX or STI as a template to copy, should reveal how it is done.

It should be easier than trying to fit a manual gearbox to a car that was never offered with one in any form. SVX requires a lengthened shift linkage, and a fabricated transmission cross member, and such... but thankfully Subarus are built modularly, like legos. If it were more specific, it would get prohibitively difficult very quickly.

If you are serious, I would look for people who are very well familiar with working on the new GR Imprezas, and 09 Foresters. They are basically the same car, with a different shaped body-shell.

Frankly, If I had the cash to custom build a utility vehicle, an 09 Forester with an STI drivetrain, and a Tribeca/Legacy/Outback EZ36R engine would be a fun project... the body, the engine, and the driveline each from three different vehicles, but still all very related, and all likely to fit together due to Subaru's good standardized interchangeable parts system, and modular chassis architecture.

I can't imagine that it would take that much... people put 5MTs and 6MTs in SVXs, which never even were offered with a manual gearbox.

The shifter and pedals from the manual base forester, or even a wrecked donor manual gearbox subaru... the interior trim piece for the manual shifter from the base forester... A master and slave hydraulic cylinder. (master from base forester, slave that matches the gearbox's bell housing for push or pull type clutch engagement.)

The transmission control unit might be the dicey part... but someone who knows the canbus architecture of the new Imprezas and Foresters should be able to tell you if the TCU can just be removed, or if there are other differences between a manual equipped car, like a WRX or STI, vs. an Impreza GT or Forester XT with an automatic.

Theoretically, with a 2009+ take-off turbo from a WRX, and the ECU, in addition to the manual gearbox and rear diff swap, you would probably upgrade the engine output to WRX's ~268hp, from the base Forester XT/Impreza GT's ~230. or possibly waiting to see if Subaru will build this for you, as they are rumored to be considering a Forester XT-Sport, which could very well be a mix of Forester's body, and WRX's manual-trans, higher-horsepower engine and drivetrain.

Correspondingly, upping the engine's specs, or swapping the engine entirely for an STI unit, is what PIA has done, and you basically get a WRX STI under a Forester body.

Underneath the body, I would think that the Forester would be much the same as the Impreza. Lower suspension mounting points, maybe but the driveline fittings should all be cross compatible.

Transplanting the transaxle (pulling the flex-plate and torque converter off the engine, as well, in favor of a flywheel and clutch... likely 2009 WRX fitment, if one were to use the WRX's 5MT... STI fitment if using it's 6MT, or Legacy GT Spec B's 6MT.) and the associated compatible rear differential shouldn't be mechanically that difficult at all.

the devil is probably in the details, like checking to see if any subaru pedal box will fit, or if you have to specifically use the 2009 Forester X parts... and so on, and making sure that the electronic control systems, cruise control, etc... are happy with the change-over, and using an original WRX or STI as a template to copy, should reveal how it is done.

It should be easier than trying to fit a manual gearbox to a car that was never offered with one in any form. SVX requires a lengthened shift linkage, and a fabricated transmission cross member, and such... but thankfully Subarus are built modularly, like legos. If it were more specific, it would get prohibitively difficult very quickly.

If you are serious, I would look for people who are very well familiar with working on the new GR Imprezas, and 09 Foresters. They are basically the same car, with a different shaped body-shell.

Frankly, If I had the cash to custom build a utility vehicle, an 09 Forester with an STI drivetrain, and a Tribeca/Legacy/Outback EZ36R engine would be a fun project... the body, the engine, and the driveline each from three different vehicles, but still all very related, and all likely to fit together due to Subaru's good standardized interchangeable parts system, and modular chassis architecture.

Awesome info, a lot of good stuff there. Thanks!

It really doesn't seem like it would be all that hard as long as you have access to the parts and the time to do the swap, but I do like the idea of a factory "sport" model coming-that would save me a lot of trouble.

This gives me something else to think about though as it seems like I'm going to have to sink a bunch of money into my next car whether I get the 2010 LGT or start of with the/a Forester, but I've been wanting a Subie for a long time so it would be well worth it.

I guess I should wait and see what SOA is going to do for the time being as I've also seen rumors of a higher output Spec. B-ish 2010 LGT.

-Brandon

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT3

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB

EDM/JDM markets have gotten forester STIs for years. I would love to have one. Here's a few pics to drool over:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/ForesterSTi2.jpg

http://www.mdracing.co.uk/images/forester_sti.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/holmesie/Oct%2006/IMGP0067adjusted800.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/smiles-esc/FSTI_3.jpg

BTW, I realize this thread is about the current gen forester, but previous gen FSTis are just sexy as hell IMO

How much work would be involved in this? I actually prefer the look of the 2010 Forester XT to the 2010 LGT, but I don't really want a 4-speed auto and it seems like it would be easier to convert the auto to a manual then the base Forester manual to a turbo.

I think the number of 40 man-hours was mentioned in the video.

It is still ugly.

I think the number of 40 man-hours was mentioned in the video.

And now that it has been worked through, and explored... subsequent jobs will probably be less labor intensive. One would hope.

It shouldn't take an entire work week solid to swap a drivetrain, engine, and suspension bits.

Leave the Forester X to be fuel efficient. XT-Sport is supposed to be lower production, and hotter performance.

And see my previous rant about how cheap != efficient, necessarily. Adding some engine flexibility and a tad more power to the NA boxer 4 might actually improve efficiency by not being as stressed in normal driving cycle duty.

Archived