LegacyGT.com

what laptop do you use to tune and what didi you pay?

cryo

• Moderators

I'm just running romradier/ecuflash/learning view. I put up a WTB on craigslist for a laptop with a budget of $50. I got a few people who wanted $100+ for their OLD laptops running win2k / 98 or older, but then I had someone get back to me with a decent HP. The power cable was chewed by a dog / repaired (no biggie) and she said the wireless didn't work so she gave it to me for $30. Got home and flicked the switch on the outside for the wifi and it works just fine :lol:

You don't really need any computing power really. Mine is a bit large for a tuning laptop (15"), but has been great and works as my garage laptop as well for when I'm looking at walkthroughs etc.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Has anybody purchased a tuning laptop recently? Any recommendations?

I gotta Dell Inspiron mini. I usually use it to store music via iTunes and play music around the house via my hacked together home audio setup, but also use it for logging and flashing. I like it coz its small and easily portable and battery lasts ages. I would not buy one if you were looking to use for say business day-to-day as its too small (unless you have small hands!!!), but for the various adhoc, travel, music, romraider :) uses its perfect!

http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/7/4/Dell_Inspiron_Mini_9_3.JPG

and browsing the internet on my couch.

an iPad is *perfect* for that - pity romraider don't work with Apple devices though

Anything is fine really... I use my Toshiba P755 (Core i7-2630QM) home laptop for it, because I'm not about to shell out money for another laptop.

4 few years ago around the summer of 2009, I used to run RR, LV, ECUflash on a Dell Inspiron 700m with I think 1-2GB of ram and a Pentium-M 700Mhz processor, WinXP. And it was A-OK!

So don't fork out a ton of money for a laptop that'll ONLY get used for tuning.

I use an Asus netbook on windows xp I purchased some 4 years ago. Because I'm still using old Cobb V1 Streettuner software, the XP OS is best compatible with that software. I use romraider and Virtual Dyno in conjunction with no issues as well. It's quirky, but I know its little quirks and it's been very consistent. When this gives out, I'll be finding a used netbook with xp to replace it unless someone can point me in the direction of a nee netbook with XP loaded.

woot.com has a laptop today that would probably be great for tuning...

Pretty tempting....

I picked up a Tactrix 2.0 since bumping this thread, and have started browsing craigslist. Since I went Tactrix instead of vag-com, and won't need the computer for logging, size isn't as much of a concern - I was looking at used netbooks. I'm going to try using my old laptop, otherwise I'll probably just see what I can come up with on craigslist.

I use an acer aspire one 11.6" netbook that has 2gb ram, windows 7 64-bit and a 320 gb hard drive that fits under the seat while I am not using it. I have no problems with battery life and I can upgrade to more ram if I want (most netbooks can't from what I read before I bought it). I log and flash with a vagcom cable. I really need a tactrix though so that I can log while driving at the track because the netbook has nowhere to be secured.

Archived