LegacyGT.com

let your turbo cool down

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard the spec b turbo actually turns into billions of particles when it reaches a heat that it might deem dangerous by its internal AI. When you stop, it reassembles, stronger and faster then ever.

Not unlike the Dodge MS4 from the movie "The Wraith." ? I always knew the Spec B was from another world. :lol:

I bought an apexi turbotimer from a friend for $50 bucks just so I could keep the car running while i run into an AM/PM to get gum.

to OP, i drive my 05 pretty hard on stock turbo and it is past 83k on stg2 infamous tuned. It is still running strong. So don't waste your gas idle for 10minutes, if your turbo explodes, u'll have a good excuse to buy a bigger one ;]

If you have a stock uppipe with cat, you need to get rid of it soon because after a while little pieces from the cat will break off and go into the turbo and probably destroy it. If you do some research on this forum and, u will find many examples, that is the same reason why the 06+ have no cat before the turbo. Subaru got tired of fixing them under warranty.

My understanding from what SOA says, 5 mins. is all you need to wait until the turbo cools down. Think I read that in their Performance Mag.

My wife and I both do that regularly, so I'd like to know whether we are wasting our time and gas.

How long you need to let it cool down for depends on how hard you have been driving and ambient temperature.

Full throttle for a long time (towing or autobahn driving) will need a longer cooling period than if you went around the corner. And if you take it easy the last mile or two you should be fine just letting it idle for a few seconds. Cooling down is also about how you drive. But if you do a racetrack event and then fly into the pit and cut the engine you may get into trouble.

453747.png

My understanding from what SOA says, 5 mins. is all you need to wait until the turbo cools down. Think I read that in their Performance Mag.

My wife and I both do that regularly, so I'd like to know whether we are wasting our time and gas.

I thought your porsche came with a diamond encrusted s00per heat resistant turbo that repels fire and heat?

Turbo's get cooled down as most people drive slowly/out of boost into driveway, neighborhood, parking lots, parking space etc. So cool down is not needed.

However maybe climbing a steep mountain pass at 75MPH and then pulling immediately over at the scenic vista right off the highway, maybe let it cool down a moment.

Common sense.....

Archived