LegacyGT.com

anyone have issues with purolator L14612

those that are using the purolator L14612, are you guys having problems leaking? the past 2-3 oil changes, i noticed that the filter keeps leaking. not a lot, but you can see the residue of the oil on the filter, like it is running off. no oil on the ground.

as of right now, i'm also getting a burning smell coming through the vents with the heater on, while i have the car warming up in the morning. the smell goes away after i start driving.

i was searching and just found this over at scoobymods.com, warning about leaking purolator L14612. its cold and dark right now, but i have to check my car for leaks in the morning. i gotta check my brother 09 WRX too, because it has the same filter! :mad:

http://www.scoobymods.com/warning_purolator_l14612_oil-t3027.html

the thread was started back in 04?... so i was wondering if anyone is also having issues. its weird because i always used this filter for the past 48k miles, no issues, until the past 3 oil changes.

yea everytime. L14610 is basically the same except longer, so i would assume they should be similar correct? also i examined the rubber seal this time before putting it on, it looks like its not tall or thick enough? like if i tightened it, the rubber seal would compress past metal lip of the filter. either way i just do handtight, like i always did.

my dad's old 98 forester uses the older style L14460, and it doesn't leak btw. i changed it like 1 month ago.

i always check to make sure the old rubber o-rings are not stuck. i always clean the surface of the place where the filter mates very well anyway.

also i checked my filter this morning and it was leaking also like the two previous filters. its not a lot where its wet, but there is residue. i guess the oil coming out gets cooked and dries on the filter. no oil spots on the ground.

i didn't take the filter off yet, still deciding what to do. i got maybe 800mi on this filter. so if these purolator filters are leaky, what other brand should i use. i usually just shop at walmart and advanced auto for maintenance items, so i'm kinda limited to purolator, fram, and supertech filters?!? fram is a definate NO NO. what about supertech? i'm already using supertech oil, and according to some threads on bobistheoilguy, its decent oil. the filters are ok also? supposedly made by champion.

All I can say is try Purolator PL14610 (the taller variant). I've used something like 6 or so on this car and never a drop of leak or problem at all. I also use the same exact filter on my Civic SI, probably 6 or so times as well, and I only once had a problem where I didn't tighten the filter enough and it started leaking heavily (thank God I caught that early).

Joe

I have been using the L14460 on our '02 Outback for quite sometime. It has been spotting on the floor for the past three oil changes and there is always a drop of oil clinging onto the bottom tip of the filter. When driving, I think it blows off and hits a heat shield and the car stinks after you come off the highway and park in the garage. And yes, I lube the gasket and check to make sure the old one has come off. Christ, we can't even make an oil filter that doesn't leak.

Guess I need to go to Fram.

It is still ugly.

I've been using PL14460 forever, and I have noticed this as well. At first, I thought I just had my gloves covered in oil putting the new one on, due to oil residue being on the outside part of the filter, but after the 3rd time it began to worry me. Now, it never makes its way to the ground, but when the car is idling with the heat on, I can smell oil. So, it must be spattering on the heat shields at some point.

Another odd note, my 91 has no issue, using the same filter, the same oil type.

I had one that I though was going to bottom on the metal shell before I got it tightened the 3/4 turn. That one didn't seem to leak any more/less than the others however. Guess it's time to move on from Purolator.
It is still ugly.

14612s on both my Legacy (PureOne) and my wife's now off-lease '05 WRX and also her current '09 FXT. No issues over the last 5 years....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

ive used them with no issue...i did go in and have a shop do an oil change during my FPGreen build and when they installed the oil filter it began to leak (durning dyno tuning runs)...

swapped out to a new filter (the one we took off was only a few miles old) and it did it again...both times installed by a tech with a filter cap and wrench.

Issue: the filter is sceptable to leaking when OVER tightened!! i put the third one on my self, got it snug, then 1/2 turn more by hand, no leaking.

hope that helps

~Sucka-Duck~

• 4 weeks later...
I'm too paranoid, so what I do after I get it snug in there, is twist it a full turn, then get a 2 foot breaker bar with a 6 foot cheater bar and twist it a full 6 turns some more. I just don't want it to unscrew as I am driving.

I laughed so loud my next door neighbor came over to see what I was laughing at!

FWIW, I use the standard purolator 14610, spin it on until the gasket touches, then I hand tighten until it won't turn any more. I don't think this is too tight because my hand is usually covered in oil and it's an awkward angle, so those two factors keep me from overtightening. FWIW, I've had good and bad luck w/leaks from the purolators but I will keep using them. One thing I do is pop open the box at the FLAPS and take a peek at the rubber gasket. If it looks too thin, I'll keep looking for a thicker one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
old thread bump. i was using the supertech filters for the longest time with no issues switching from purolator. walmart discontinued all supertech filters recently and started stocking purolator filters, so i was forced to switch back. leaking again. wtf.

Archived