LegacyGT.com

Best way to replace clutch

Scruit

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad it all worked out for you and when's the video release date?

Not sure. On playing it back I can hear some nasty interferance through my PC speaker from the shop lights that wasn't audible on the camera's little speaker. Plus I have about 1.5 hours of video that needs to be edited down to something closer to 10 minutes. Meed to find a few hours to edit the video together and clean up the audio.

Since you already did a clutch in yours when you want to come do my clutch? Lol. So you wouldn't change anything if you to do it again besided having an extra hand?

Do your clutch? :lol: No. :mad:;)

I'm sore all over from getting up and down off the floor. I must have done like 100 situps. I'm beat. :eek:

The only other thing I'd do different next time is a little more research on how the trans and engine plug together while missing the turbo. In fact I'd probably remove the turbo next time as that was the only thing holding me up for all those hours. Even when I got the trans/engine lined up and on the studs, the bottom inside edge of the turbo outlet (to exhaust) would come into contact with the bellhousing and stop it. It was more of a 'hooking' motion that was required to get it back in. Yup, next time I'll remove he turbo.

I had plenty of clearance sliding the trans back without touching the front shafts or balljoints. Just removed intercooler, rear driveshaft, rear heat shields and downpipe.

I tried that and it was a PITA when I helped my friend do his. We didn't have a hoist then. Now I need to do mine. 340whp dd+ 370whp on e85 several time at the drag strip+ stock clutch= slipping clutch;). I got a engine hoist and this time I'm just going to pull the half shafts out of the hubs and slide the tranny back. If I need I can pull the engine forward with the hoist if I need more room. I will do mine soon. I have been working on my new FMIC and now I done with that.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

come on you know you want to help another subaru guy out.what do you think if you tried having someone guide you up top while you slide the trans around the turbo? you think that would work? after reading all this im gettin more skeptical on doing this myself. any one have any tricks besides pulling the turbo off?

Do your clutch? :lol: No. :mad:;)

I'm sore all over from getting up and down off the floor. I must have done like 100 situps. I'm beat. :eek:

The only other thing I'd do different next time is a little more research on how the trans and engine plug together while missing the turbo. In fact I'd probably remove the turbo next time as that was the only thing holding me up for all those hours. Even when I got the trans/engine lined up and on the studs, the bottom inside edge of the turbo outlet (to exhaust) would come into contact with the bellhousing and stop it. It was more of a 'hooking' motion that was required to get it back in. Yup, next time I'll remove he turbo.

I think you'd needone guy reaching in the top, alternately controlling the engine hoist and grabbing the bellhousing throught he starter hole to help line it up... And a second guy underneath alternately controlling the trans jack and pusing the trans towards the engine. With the two co-ordinating it's go very quickly. With just one guy you're constantly swapping positions to try to figure out what it blocking the trans.

true. can it be done without a engine hoist? was the jack stands stirdy enough with you pushing on the trans? the car didnt wooble?

No wobble. The engine hoist was to tilt the engine, so you can probably get the same effect from a prybar if you're careful.

No wobble. The engine hoist was to tilt the engine, so you can probably get the same effect from a prybar if you're careful.

Or a bottle jack on a block with a piece of wood at the crank pulley, just lift enough to tilt the back down.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

^ I'm sure that must have been fun with it just on jack stands. Contortion for sure... you have my empathy sir.

Yeah, I'm really thinking I need to install a 2-post lift in my workshop. My butt and abs are sore from getting up and down off the floor so much. :redface:

^^First thing that's going into the new house here. Looking at something like this MaxJax Lift or possibly its larger brother the Danmar 9. Like the portability of the MaxJax and that it doesn't have to be set up all of the time.

My back was sore for a weak with constant tweaking of the transjack and the jack under the engine. A floor transmission jack at Harbor Freight was $120 and worth every penny. That thing rolled smooth as silk.

I also had the transmission get hung up on the turbo on the way in, not sure how the darn thing came out. I grabbed good old Mr. Dremel and did some bellhousing grinding! Enjoy the new clutch!!

Of course now I'm getting a kind of a diesel sould at 4.5krpm under load. Freaked out now that I've wrecked something. Probably something not fasteed down tight enough, though.

Engine sounds fine at all other times. The first 50 miles I noticed nothing. It was also very cold this morning (28deg) for the first time this year, so it may be cold related. I'll see if I can pinpoint the location.

Might just be a welcome to the WRX flywheel/Act clutch club sound.

Nah, oem clutch. It's a Welcome to the "You should have replaced the gasket on the turbo outlet instead of reusing the old one" club sound. :spin:

^ That's what I was just thinking. Easy (somewhat) to fix though - at least compared to the machinations you went through to get the tranny in and out...;).

^ That's what I was just thinking. Easy (somewhat) to fix though - at least compared to the machinations you went through to get the tranny in and out...;).

Maybe this is God's way of telling me I should have gone with a catless DP. ;)

Maybe this is God's way of telling me I should have gone with a catless DP. ;)

Ahhh - okay! Now I see what the issue is. Get a COBB HFC and that problem will go away...

Archived