LegacyGT.com

Audio Install Stage 1 Complete (Cubby Bezel)

scans007

Well crew.......I finally finished get'n my audio stuff installed. It took me alot longer then I had expected due to a few things.

1) Nav unit did not fit in the glove box slot like had expected and had to fab something

2) Threw in a fun switch in the glove box, so if I lend my car (valet). I can turn the abilty to play a move off, lock the glove box....all safe...Just a fun factor item...but better then grounding it to the Ebrake so you can only watch when the ebrake is pulled....like the instructions say :D

3) Everyone was say'n there was a sub under the pass seat...we'll I was told my car had a sub....Dealer lied (no biggie, I put in a JLW7) but there was no spot for it under my pass seat....strange.....

EDIT* 4) Subaru OEM DIN plate brackets were constructed straight, the exterior plastic peice is a perfect match to the contour and color of the dash, but with the brackets be'n straight and the dash slightly angled to the driver...the drivers side of my HU is stick'n out about 1/16 and inch further and then the right, which sits flush....

Here's what Went in:

Panasonic DVD/TV/MP3/Nav 7'' Screen

Alpine Navigation Unit - NVE-825A

Panasonic 12 Disk CD changer

Front Speakers - Alpine SPS - 171A

Rear Speakers - Alpine SPS - 170A

Subwoofer - JL-W7

Speaker Amp - JL4300e

Sub Amp - JL500/1

Tsunami Cables and 100 Amp ANL Fuse

Anywho......I attached some pics but you can check out all of them HERE!!

EDIT 2* - Oh yeah, you'd think stage 1 was enough...but i really miss my XM/Sirius so I've gotta get that installed at some point....that's stage 2 :D

DSC01091.JPG.5c4545e67e230ea5e7a0714367cd0f4d.JPG

DSC01086.JPG.8a20950a9183d110c2595be748cf1037.JPG

DSC01085.JPG.48ef91680db14891dfa88a6e164a0028.JPG

DSC01090.JPG.0e45d1fea92c9dbaf5732f08a8443b8a.JPG

DSC01094.JPG.5a13e243d48f11e75bbd2bdae9d3819b.JPG

DSC01113.JPG.1a449f187ed0e7256b0ff970573aa62b.JPG

DSC01116.JPG.80f5fa2f982cbb9d78455cb0c496e3b9.JPG

DSC01117.JPG.081fab6e9e938c4c3fd27e10fe0b28f7.JPG

DSC01089.JPG.6e5e352c913b373bbedd6925a0ec7835.JPG

DSC01124.JPG.d29659f76d356bd00b844d51c53a94f9.JPG

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice, can't wait to do mine. Is your stock unit still functional, or did you just swap everything to the panasonic. I will be installing a Pioneer AVIC-N2 when time and money permits, my intentions are to keep both units functional.

I debated this over and over.......I ended up cuting the factory wires and am just using the panasonic HU to control everything, Ironically my radio reception got better....I was gonna tap the wires, but if I forgot to turn one off before the other on, I'd have two fried radios.......

The stock radio will turn on, and will display everything, just won't do anything. All heater controls and such work perfectly .......

^ What he said; maybe, a DIN bezel, with a Terk XM Commander and the DIN fitment for that, , and the JL Clean Sweep for inputs might be a nice way to make a clean install of stuff.

Tom

FRA-GEE-LAY... It must be Italian!

First: Excellent install - way clean.

Second: Did you get the DIN pocket bezel from King of Imports? If so, can you share a model #? Thanks.

-Zeke

Nope got it from paul at AVO. Its a subaru OEM part over there so no worries on fitment issuses or anything like that.......

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/product_info.php?cPath=1_58_3_62&products_id=228

There's been some disscussions over it if you search for "bezel" you'll find some good threads...

I debated this over and over.......I ended up cuting the factory wires and am just using the panasonic HU to control everything, Ironically my radio reception got better....I was gonna tap the wires, but if I forgot to turn one off before the other on, I'd have two fried radios.......

The stock radio will turn on, and will display everything, just won't do anything. All heater controls and such work perfectly .......

You could have used diodes and used both of the radio's still on the wires to keep anything from backfeeding.

Nope got it from paul at AVO. Its a subaru OEM part over there so no worries on fitment issuses or anything like that.......

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/product_info.php?cPath=1_58_3_62&products_id=228

There's been some disscussions over it if you search for "bezel" you'll find some good threads...

How long did it take to get your bezel?

I ordered mine a lil over 3 weeks ago :)

How did the install of the Alpine door speakers go? Any mods to the door necessary or were they a direct replacement? What size are they? Did you replace the tweeters as well? I'm considering upgrading my speakers front and rear but want to replace with something that won't require any mods to the door.

Well I was actually amung the first to order it, it all depends on if subaru has them in stock, if they do then you'll get it quicker, if not...then Subaru has to order, then to AVO then to you.....mine to 6 weeks...

How did the install of the Alpine door speakers go? Any mods to the door necessary or were they a direct replacement? What size are they? Did you replace the tweeters as well? I'm considering upgrading my speakers front and rear but want to replace with something that won't require any mods to the door.

Easy install, the biggest pain was getting the doors off, I was so worried about damaging them I took my time. Yes, the were component speakers so Tweeters were included.

If you check out this picture you can see the crossover box, tweeter, and new speaker.....the only mod I had to do was cut the plastic...no mod to the door other then that.

EDIT: Opps and the speaker size is 6.5 front/rear

nice clean install!

I'm in the process of doing similar... no nav, but H.U., speakers, JL W7, defi gauges, etc.

How's the spcae behind the cubby? it looks tight, but the bezel kit kind of pushes out the HU towards the passengers, right?

-Mark

I ordered mine on Mar. 20th, shipped on 22nd and a delivery attempt was made today but I wasn't home and I think that was it.

scans007 is right, depends on stock. I think I got lucky with it being in stock. Customer service was great. Overall great transaction.

scans007... looks great dude!

nice clean install!

I'm in the process of doing similar... no nav, but H.U., speakers, JL W7, defi gauges, etc.

How's the spcae behind the cubby? it looks tight, but the bezel kit kind of pushes out the HU towards the passengers, right?

-Mark

Yeah, the space is kinda tight back there, but still enough room to do what you want. When you say pushes out towards the passenger, it depends on how you look at it it guess. Tech. its 100% straight when installed. It looks like it pushes towards the pass. cuz the dash slopes off towards the driver a tad, so it falls away from my HU. My HU sticks out maybe 1/16 of an inch on the drivers side while the pass side of the HU is flush....I had the car apart for two days, by this point i needed to get everything back together. I didn't play around with it to see if I could get it flush. I prob wouldn't want to cuz then passengers would have to see the screen at a funny angle.

Oh and there is one other lil prob with my HU, it is a lil wider, so when installed it pushes to the outside a little bit rendering the ability to flow air up and down useless, if you have the same problem make sure you get the flaps where you want before installing cuz the won't move after :D

Archived