LegacyGT.com

Dynoed the Pontiac G8 GXP ;)

surfsidedetail

Sorry but I call BS on the claim of Holden quality being better. Trust me Holden knock out some absolute crap and have also managed to loose an 8 figure sum once again this financial year. Plenty of power for straight lines but absolute rubbish for twistys. Aussie made yes, well made no.

We're comparing to American made Pontiacs though :lol:

Holden can make the occasional crap mobile (and some great ones) granted but you really need to take a moment to test drive this one. "Rubbish for twistys"...dude please to read all the reviews then again, test drive one. They are very well balanced, great steering, great brakes, and with LS2...bulletproof.

If any of you can find me one within 600 mi. that's not red I'll show you a Spec-B up for sale the next day.

Sorry but I call BS on the claim of Holden quality being better. Trust me Holden knock out some absolute crap and have also managed to loose an 8 figure sum once again this financial year. Plenty of power for straight lines but absolute rubbish for twistys. Aussie made yes, well made no.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Dude I live in Australia and ever second car is a Holden Commonwhore. My best mate has the MY08 Holden SSV 6 ltr (pic below) and I spend a fair bit of time helping him repair and mod the thing. I dont need to drive the rebadged Pontiac to know how they drive FFS. Holden are even selling the G8 bonnets they made for the US market to Aussies in the form of a "special release" SSV now because they cant do anything else with them.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/Aussiedave_2006/090208/DSCN0280.jpg

Guest JessterCPA
Dude I live in Australia and ever second car is a Holden Commonwhore. My best mate has the MY08 Holden SSV 6 ltr (pic below) and I spend a fair bit of time helping him repair and mod the thing. I dont need to drive the rebadged Pontiac to know how they drive FFS. Holden are even selling the G8 bonnets they made for the US market to Aussies in the form of a "special release" SSV now because they cant do anything else with them.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/Aussiedave_2006/090208/DSCN0280.jpg

Do you always park on the front lawn?

seems a bit high from what I have read on the G8 forum. Usually about 360 to the wheels, but hey when we are talking big numbers what is 30whp :lol: (have not frequented in a while. Looks like you got a nice ringer :) ....no one every complains about that!)

GTSPECB STI

Two very different markets. Consider yourself lucky, we are used to the much more crappy Pontiacs over hear so Holden is considered a few notches above (however sad that may seem). I'd love to have your options here and given a chance to call one of them crap ;)

There just isn't much at all under 40k that is truly well rounded in design and construction. I'd kill for a good looking (it's always more rewarding to enjoy more than the performance alone), relatively fast, well handling, great braking car with reliable mod potential. Where is this car? So far the only car that has a cabin worth sitting in that also met the above was the LGT Spec-B. Then I discovered the G8 GXP. Not a bad interior for a Pontiac (except for the lame parking brake design) and for about the same as I paid I'd get well over 400hp much more reliably. Not bad at all...

Then again this Feb sees the FMIC and 20g install. So...Hmm I dunno.

I see we have something else in common, I to have an LR3 HSE in my driveway. Love that thing!

Cheers,

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Yes I hear you about choices and believe me Americans have a lot more choice (but plenty of it bad) than we have in Australia. I was born and raised in the USA and moved to Australia in 1987.

The build quality in general is ok for Holden cars but they do suffer from lots of recalls on driveline and engine parts in general. They also suffer from cheap interior parts wearing quickly. You will also find that your tires will wear out very quickly if they are ever so slightly out of alignment. Paint finish is also somewhat erratic from the factory so you need a bit of luck here (paint line went to the pub the day they sprayed my mates car. In general high power but not well built suspension wise to handle it but some mods can fix this. The resale value on Holden's tends to drop quit a lot after they pass the 3 year mark (warranty exp go figure). Supercharging is much more common set up for these cars in Australia and there endless numbers of them locally running this set up and generating 600 or 700 HP on stock motors.

I'm pleased that the car has been well received in the USA and that you seem to have gotten a good car and experience to date. The funny thing I see here is how often the Holden owners choose to replace their Holden badge with a Chevy badge since they are running an LS2.

The LR Discovery is great value off road but drinks a shitload of fuel.

• 2 months later...

Bumping up an old thread.

I was thinking of picking up a more expensive european car (BMW, Merc) over the GXP, but after reading some interesting articles, a GXP with a S/C setup similar to the ZR1 can generate over 600 hp easily and reliably while leaving all of the "high-performance" european cars I am currently researching in a drag at least.

The Whole sc setup installed and tuned is $8-10k depending on who you have do the work.

I could essentially have ZR1 Performance in a 4 door sedan for cheaper than a brand new CTS-V. I also prefer the looks of the Pontiac over the Caddy!

Surfside how do you like yours? Is handling up to par? Interior quality?

Power would be similar to the video below :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy6IrVe0VTE]YouTube- TOP GEAR - S2E2 - HSV CLUBSPORT R8 REVIEW[/ame]

Archived