LegacyGT.com

mechanical lash adjusters

Hey everyone I have a 98 LGTL with a 2.2 in it, so this is a shout-out to anyone who has mechanical lash adjusters and has heard an obnoxious clicking from the valvetrain before. I'm looking to adjust these; does anyone have valve lash specs for the 2.2 from '98, preferably the cold lash specs?

• 2 weeks later...
a visit to your local service department and ask to talk to their lead tech, i bet he knows off the top of his head. if not i bet he'll print it off for ya. actually i think i can look it up on alldata now.... well FU-CK me, NoData is down for maintenance. i will try to double check tomorrow if i remember...

I would take this with a grain of salt, but the machinist who just did my heads says his book calls out .2mm +/-.05 for all 2.2L and 2.5L Subarus.

Now, my service manual says .2mm for intake and .35mm for exhaust, and I'm having him redo it to my spec. He thinks .35mm is to loose and will be noisy, but I'd prefer a slight tick (it always ticked) versus a burnt valve. This is for an '06 though...

i got the specs for anyone who needs them FOR THE 2.2L AND 2.5L (interchangable fortunately!). valve cleareance:

Intake: 0.20+/-0.02mm (0.0079+/-0.0008in)

Exhaust: 0.25+/-0.02mm (0.0098+/-0.0008in)

make sure as you check each cylinder that it's at top dead center, so some turning of the cam sprocket is part of the whole deal. happy hunting

Archived