LegacyGT.com

I love my Droid GPS.

mars_volta

The nav on the droid is far superior to what is included with the iphone.

The iphone doesn't use the Google maps like the droid does.

The droid will show you real images of where you are traveling not just a drawing.

You can change the maps to terrain on iPhone :confused:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the phone in the cubby like that, how is satellite reception?

I've been considering upgrading my personal verizon phone, but I very rarely use it. However, after talking with Verizon, there's an additional $30/month data charge which I'm not willing to pay.

Ugh, I wish I could upgrade from my Blackberry. Saddly, I have another year and a half :(... unless my wife wants to upgrade, and we switch phones...
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Great minds think alike. I keep my droid in the same spot. I got the car mount for it at the same time i got the phone but i rather keep it in the cubby so i have never used it. besides the car mount has that magnet in it that puts it on car mode. when you arent using it for gps it makes the screen stay on forever and waste battery.

You get the phone's Google GPS reception by accessing INTERNET, which different with GPS reception through satellite. You will lose the map when you are out of phone service area. Of course it is rare in the city but possible in rural countryside areas. The disconnection of map will make you lost in a totally strange place.

For example : A couple drove a Subaru looking for Xmas tree in WA or OR state. They were stuck in the snow and got no phone reception to call for help, then of course no Google map reception as well. In the opposite you can tell your location if you have GPS satellite reception as long as it is not indoor.

Can anyone tell me if there is an app to sort messages like Inbox and Sent. Looks like default is all messages goes into Messages icon.

Also, I redownloaded my ringtones from VZW website and I can't save them to my ringtones. Maybe we need to start a Droid sub-forum.

• Mega Users
I'm getting the Droid Eris on the 20th. That's the day I'm set free from worthless AT&T. You can't beat the $100 price point, smaller size and weight than the moto droid, more established model, and in january an over the air update for android 2.0 will automatically download to the eris. Can't really beat that.

You get the phone's Google GPS reception by accessing INTERNET, which different with GPS reception through satellite. You will lose the map when you are out of phone service area. Of course it is rare in the city but possible in rural countryside areas. The disconnection of map will make you lost in a totally strange place.

For example : A couple drove a Subaru looking for Xmas tree in WA or OR state. They were stuck in the snow and got no phone reception to call for help, then of course no Google map reception as well. In the opposite you can tell your location if you have GPS satellite reception as long as it is not indoor.

Not necessarily true. My Blackberry gets GPS data from... GPS. Most smartphones have GPS trackability.

Google Maps update via internet connection (that is, physical map update), but Blackberry Maps is native and GPS based, and will still give you coordinates and directions in the absence of service coverage.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

the droid has GPS. the maps just arent stored on the phone. they are downloaded as you go. so no service no map. the phone still knows where you are, you just cant get the map for it. this is probably done because maps take up allot of storage. there are aplications other then google gps that are stored and you do not need service for. google gps is just what the phone comes with.

Right, but the phone can still report longitude and latitude in the event of an emergency.

I guess that's a blackberry bonus, it's native navigation program (Blackberry Maps) stores maps in it's memory.

I've never traveled anywhere that wasn't 10 feet in any direction from coverage though, and I've been to some really remote parts of Georgia. I even had 3G coverage in some areas. It was odd being on the internet on my computer at Cable speeds in places where there isn't even municipal trash pickup... or a grocery store.

Got my Droid... wonderful phone. Girlfriend was jealous for a bit, but then there was that BOGO deal with the Eris a few weekends ago, so she got the Eris... and loves it too. So nice to be on Verizon (AT&T sucks here) and have a nice smartphone.

Yeah, the $30/month extra is a pain... for two lines, as well. But, she gets a 20% discount (a lot of healthcare workers do) so that brings the bill to pretty much what we were paying separately (I had VZ on a regular phone, she had TMobile with (again) crappy coverage our area). Of course, this means I'm committed now that we have a joint cellphone plan!

As for the cubby, with my rubbery cover on the phone (purchased at verizon store) the phone can grip and stay within the open-door cubby pretty well - I'm surprised. I don't plan to keep it there permanently, but it's a pretty cool benefit...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone that has a droid needs to get android dyno. It uses the accelerometor and gps and some other shit to measure 1/4 mile, g force, dyno suposedly, other cool stuff.

Trackmaster and Dynomaster (beta) both available in the android marketplace. More info @ http://www.trackaroo.com/

Trackmaster is THE BEST $5 ever spent, if you have an android device and do any racing, track days, autox, rallyx, etc then it is a must have. Dynomaster is still in beta and a bit buggy, but is still a pretty cool app. The developer releases frequent updates and adds new functionality all the time, very cool... and neither are available on iPhone.

Back on topic though, the android gps will still give you turn-by-turn voice navigation when you are out of a service area, but as mentioned before, no maps, i don't see that as a big deal though. I used my android gps for the first time this weekend going to the mountain in a rental forester with no in-dash navigation, it worked perfect and I had my phone in the center arm rest the entire time so I never saw the maps anyways.

This weekend I had the phone playing my music library over the cars speakers, scrobbling my plays to last.fm, giving me live weather and road condition updates, doing hands free calls to my bluetooth headset and doing turn-by-turn gps voice navigation (over the cars speakers) all at the same time. Take that iPhone.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived