LegacyGT.com

windshield wipers

i know this has been discussed b4 but i really don't like these oem stock wipers. it's not jus the blades but the salesman i bought my legacy from also agrees that the pressure on the windshield is uneven and you could see a small line on the windshield (drivers side). the salesrep told me that this has been a complaint universally. i've cleaned my blades, i've got the rain x stuff on, and have taken my car to the dealership. i kinda just been trying to ignore the situation and it has been a problem since day 1.

Nothing like getting your brand new car delivered with wiper blades that streak and smear like they were 2 years old.

Notice: not a "gripe", a "sugested improvement" for Subaru to ponder.

Here's a quick tip....try using an isopryl alcohol wipe (even a paper towel with alcohol will work) and wipe the blades until no more black residue is coming off. Then re-try your wipers, 9 times out of 10 this will fix the streaking issue. If it doesn't have the dealer replace your wiper blades, they are covered by the warranty for 3yrs/36,000 miles.

Here's a quick tip....try using an isopryl alcohol wipe (even a paper towel with alcohol will work) and wipe the blades until no more black residue is coming off. Then re-try your wipers, 9 times out of 10 this will fix the streaking issue. If it doesn't have the dealer replace your wiper blades, they are covered by the warranty for 3yrs/36,000 miles.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that tonight. I've gotten blades that come with a special blade treatment before (what amounts to a handi wipe) to "restore" the blades. It seems to help, figured it was just alcohol.

.o0O0o.

No problems here. I have used my wipers a fair amount lately (used in both snow and rain) and they clear the window just perfectly. But, with my past expereince with wiper blades in general, if they last 6 months I am lucky. :rolleyes:

It may have something to do with how long the vehicle was sitting on the lot and how much "weather damage" was done to the rubber part of the blade before the car was purchased. Just a possibility. Sun and heat are killers when it comes to wiper blades.

At any rate, most people end up replacing their wiper blades with ones found at auto stores becuase they are cheaper.

-S

i hate how wen u use the wipers the water ends up on the sides of the goddamn window... and looks like shit.... 1/4 of the entire window doesnt get touched by the stupid wipers so thats always dirty.... they need a new run off water thing so it doesnt sit on the side and look like crap

i hate how wen u use the wipers the water ends up on the sides of the goddamn window... and looks like shit.... 1/4 of the entire window doesnt get touched by the stupid wipers so thats always dirty.... they need a new run off water thing so it doesnt sit on the side and look like crap

Wow, I have no idea what you just said :lol:

.o0O0o.

:confused:

Cartman: Well, you know. You'll just be sitting there minding your own business when out comes, marching in and crawling up your leg and start biting the inside of your ass and you'll all be like 'Eh, get out of my ass you stupid rainbows!

Stan: Cartman, what the hell are you talking about?

Cartman: I'm talking about rainbows. I hate those freaking things

Kyle: Rainbows are those little arches of light that appear during a rainstorm

Cartman: Oh, rainbows! Oh yeah, I like those. Those are cool.

• 2 months later...

dealer tried alcohol but still didn't work, they replaced it for the 2nd time... should i go after market?

This Space For Rent

I just installed PIAA Super Silicone blades (their blade re-fills fit our stock wipers) and followed their windshield prepping instructions. Works so much better than stock its like it should be. Tried it with a hose but am awaiting a good rain.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

On delivery day, our OB was treated with winter blades and snow tires among other items. Last week was time to un-install the winter items. I've heard of the wiper performance dilemma mentioned on this list and others, so when I traded out the winter’s for the OE blades and noticed what a shit-e performance the OE blades deliver, there wasn’t a surprise. Screw the dealership visit…… I’m guessing the purchase of a quality blade resolves the issue?

As and aside; our OB was ordered by me, built and delivered to the dealership. The very next day we took ownership. That said, the car hadn’t spent every much time out in the elements of a dealerships lot with the damaging sun having its way. Cheap wiper blades equals crummy performance is my guess.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

After 17k miles and lots of wiping, the stock blades just wore out, so I decided to replace them with the PIAA Silicon blades and they are working wonderfully as if I have a new set of the stock blades every time i use them.

Keefe

Keefe

I just installed PIAA Super Silicone blades (their blade re-fills fit our stock wipers) and followed their windshield prepping instructions. Works so much better than stock its like it should be. Tried it with a hose but am awaiting a good rain.

PIAA Blades are the only way to go.

Archived