LegacyGT.com

When am I beyond my AP V2?

TravisGT

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you have an 05 so you can use the $15 vag-com ebay cable to opensouce tune your car much better than the AP

You are smoking crack. The protuner for Cobb kicks the crap out of opensource.

Also, I would not reccomend trying to learn how to tune your car until you do some serious research. Just because you have the tools doesnt mean you can do the job. If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it.

Well, I was shown both by mt tuner and he said the Cobb Protuner is easier to use. He can tune a car in less time with the protuner than he can with opensource. Was also told by several tuners in my area the same thing and that the Cobb Protuner has more tables than opensource. I dont know how true that is since I dont own protuner but they had no reason to lie to me since I already owned an AP.

Edit: Why dont we let infamous chime in since he can tune both.

You are smoking crack. The protuner for Cobb kicks the crap out of opensource.

Also, I would not reccomend trying to learn how to tune your car until you do some serious research. Just because you have the tools doesnt mean you can do the job. If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it.

:rolleyes: Wow...That was an appropriate response to a simple question. Doing basic tuning is not hard to do with all of the info here and on RomRaiders website. I knew nothing about tuning, but I'm semi-intellgent, learned how to log and use Learning View before touching anything else. So, It's not that difficult to grasp the basics of tuning. Most people are either not confident in their own abilities, or don't want to be responsible for ruining thier engine. I'm not arguing about Protuner vs. Romraider so I'm not sure where that came from :confused:.

Plus the person asking about OS tuning and the cable is not the OP.

Are you just being an asshole, joking, or just ignorant to me answering a question to someone?

Wow, really? and you just told this guy to go tune his own car:lol::spin:

I don't know how responding to his question to me about the VAG-COM cable working on an 05 STI has anything to do with this. Also, love the fact that you don't use Protuner and am lecturing me about how great it is. I'm sure it does a good job, but then again you do not know if the person asking me about the STI has an Accessport. Why waist the $600 when you do not need to.

Man, you just come off as such an ass hat. I hope the rest of your posts are better. "You got a lot of growing up to do kid, suck my balls." :cool:

Well, I was shown both by mt tuner and he said the Cobb Protuner is easier to use. He can tune a car in less time with the protuner than he can with opensource. Was also told by several tuners in my area the same thing and that the Cobb Protuner has more tables than opensource. I dont know how true that is since I dont own protuner but they had no reason to lie to me since I already owned an AP.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

By the way. I spent less than $80 to get my car to, according to Airboys' spreadsheet, these number, to the wheels...

Dyno.png.0e872e7c6319a5b94f28d5fe83179bc3.png

I am pretty sure that Infamous does both. He does open source and he also tunes for the APv2. I had a protune and had an injector cause a lean condition so I needed to get retuned. You can see what Infamous Open source vs the protune. I think Infamous claim is that he can road tune as good and many cases better than a dyno tune. I don't recall him saying that opensource is god and Cobb is the devil anywhere.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124407

I don't know how responding to his question to me about the VAG-COM cable working on an 05 STI has anything to do with this. Also, love the fact that you don't use Protuner and am lecturing me about how great it is. I'm sure it does a good job, but then again you do not know if the person asking me about the STI has an Accessport. Why waist the $600 when you do not need to.

Man, you just come off as such an ass hat. I hope the rest of your posts are better. "You got a lot of growing up to do kid, suck my balls." :cool:

My point was EVERY CAR from 1996+ has an OBDII port and the fact that you didnt know this tells me a lot about your tuning capabilities. You speciafically asked if an 05 STi had an OBDII port.

Who do you think was the first to announce to legacygt.com boards that the VAG COM Cable worked with rom raider on our cars? DING DING DING...It was me...so you think my posts are a little better now:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

By the way. I spent less than $80 to get my car to, according to Airboys' spreadsheet, these number, to the wheels...

<-----seriously...you really want to compare dyno plots? Trust me, mine is bigger than yours;)

:rolleyes: Wow...That was an appropriate response to a simple question. Doing basic tuning is not hard to do with all of the info here and on RomRaiders website. I knew nothing about tuning, but I'm semi-intellgent, learned how to log and use Learning View before touching anything else. So, It's not that difficult to grasp the basics of tuning. Most people are either not confident in their own abilities, or don't want to be responsible for ruining thier engine. I'm not arguing about Protuner vs. Romraider so I'm not sure where that came from :confused:.

Plus the person asking about OS tuning and the cable is not the OP.

Are you just being an asshole, joking, or just ignorant to me answering a question to someone?

You specifically said Romraider is better than an AP. My response was you are smoking crack if you think romraider is better than an AP as far as tuning goes. If you are on a tight budget and dont mind possibly breaking your car and have tons of time to learn, then romraider is the way to go.

I think Infamous does a great job but doing e-tunes takes time as well.

Cobb pro tuners can do a car in an hour or two.

I don't know if OS has the ability to switch maps on the fly like the AP does. I haven't really kept up with OS in a few years. Just because it is free doesnt make it better. Might be better for you but not better for everyone. Especially most of the people on here that dont have the time or patience to learn how to tune a car on their own. You can really f up your car if you dont know what you are doing.

Honestly I could care less now about either one since the stock ecu is my limiting factor.

Road tuning a car by yourself, it makes not one difference on which system to use as you cannot take advantage of the real-time tuning capabilities of the Cobb software. Tuning on a dyno, where you can hold a RPM/Load cell, the Cobb real-time tuning shines. As far as tables go, Open Source has "more" tables available.

For me personally, there was no need to spend $600 (or $450 used) for the Cobb solution since I could get a netbook and cable for less and I cannot utilize the real-time functionality the way I tune, which is on an open stretch of road by myself. For someone tuning on a dyno, there should be no question that the Cobb will tune faster.

Infamous1 tunes both opensource and via AP.

I have used his e-tuning service as well as met up for road tunes.

The e-tune does take time. But, he is very quick to respond and you can get a rev a day from him.

The road tune takes as little as an hour or two to as much as most the day. Depends on what he is tuning and the mods you are running.

I have never heard him say anything negative about either method of tuning. I think in the end he prefers opensource. But "prefers" does not mean "better". I am sure that both methods have their positives and negatives. The AP offers user features that opensource does not. It is small and easily portable.

I have used both the AP and opensource. I prefer opensource. But I am no pro tuner.

My point was EVERY CAR from 1996+ has an OBDII port and the fact that you didnt know this tells me a lot about your tuning capabilities. You speciafically asked if an 05 STi had an OBDII port.

Who do you think was the first to announce to legacygt.com boards that the VAG COM Cable worked with rom raider on our cars? DING DING DING...It was me...so you think my posts are a little better now:lol:

eh, better than your last one. I guess I should have rephrased and asked if the vag-com works in the 05 sti, or if he has to use the tactix cable. does that make you feel better?

I saw your dyno # in your avatard before I put that post in. My point is with $80 and learning to OS, you can get some great numbers for the money. Your numbers are impressive, but I really don't give a shit, because you sound like a condescending douche DING DING DING DING...really?

My AP quote was refering to OTS maps, in which yes, OS tuning is MUCH better. If you are only running OTS maps, it's a waste of money, In my opinion. IF you already have one, the use the Protuner. But, from what I've heard, a lot of people are selling their AP and going OS. Anything else you need to get out? Or any other words you want to twist? Just let it go.

My AP quote was refering to OTS maps, in which yes, OS tuning is MUCH better. If you are only running OTS maps, it's a waste of money, In my opinion. IF you already have one, the use the Protuner. But, from what I've heard, a lot of people are selling their AP and going OS. Anything else you need to get out? Or any other words you want to twist? Just let it go.

Nope, what you said above sounds much better than OS is better than AP...see, was that so hard? Sorry if I sounded like a dousch but I read your post and thought you sounded like a moron. First I read OS is waay better than AP then read does a 05 STi have an OBDII port. Just sounded like a kid that didnt know wtf he was doing or talking about and giving out advice on tuning. Sorry for being a little harsh but I was a little drunk on the first few posts last ngiht:)

No, it wasn't hard. But ease off. There are a lot of people who would argue OS is better than the AP, for various reasons. I'm not the only one who feels this way. Why you chose me to "attack" don't know. Others were making similar statments. Yes, I knew my OBD-II comment could have been stated better, but it was a quick response to his question. I assumed people would understand I was talking about the compatibility issue with the VAG-COM cable, but I guess that made you feel the need to be a douche. Yeah, I don't have 1,500+ posts, but post numbers do not mean a damn thing. I took the risk of leaning to OS and work on my own car and it's been great, so far. Again, $80 for better than OTS map results, with my mild mods. To me, that makes OS MUCH better than the AP. Again, TO ME. To each his own.

Agreed but the OP said he already had an AP.

Oh wow, I have 1500+ posts...I had no clue.

Your post count had nothing to do with why I said what I did.

We could argue which EM is better till the cows come home.....In the end it boils down to which you feel comfortable with and does your decision make you happy. If you are satisfied with it, then that is all that should really matter. You telling the OP that your OS was better than his AP was the instant dousch mode activator:)

^ Good point, missed that he already has the AccessTuner software, but the OTS maps are not car specific. You can get safer and all around better results by fine tuning to the individual car. He should still log WOT 3rd pulls to make sure he's not pulling timing and that his IAM and AFR numbers are in good shape, even with the OTS maps.It's better to be safe than sorry. Also, Learning View is such a handy tool, make sure to use it and LOG LOG LOG!

Never said my method was better. If you read my post correctly, I was comparing OTS AP maps! I was not aware he had AccessTuner already. I was talking about OTS. The AP by itself was not the subject here. Learn to read :lol:.

Yup, only a true douche like yourself would know.

Alright, look, the topic was about using the AP WITH the OTS map vs. OS. That was what I was talking about I think, OS is better because of the cost-benifit ratio. There are newer versions of RR that have come out, so maybe you should research that. Then, further down the post someone mentioned he already bought the software. That's why my opinon STILL is if you do not mind learning how to tune, don't waste money on an AP. Yeah, I know I'm sounding like a douche to you, and that's fine. But you started this and, as a self taught OS tuner, I get defensive when someone chimes in with some asshole comment, not related to the current conversation.

Archived