LegacyGT.com

Subaru Sales up 41% for October 2009

SoldonSubie

You can use it as an e-brake... you just can't control much how it works. At least that's how it is in my dad's Audi. If you pull it while the car is moving it will result in (quote from memory) "an emergency stop using maximum braking force."

Always wanted to take the car up to 100, and pull it just so see how violent it is, lol.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know what's funny... everyone keeps crying about Subaru's advertising. I've noticed a lot of companies have jumped on Subaru's love bandwagon. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Mercedes are all using love tag lines now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i'm surprised, everyone bitches about the redesigned impreza and legacy models but they both outsell all of their predecessors. keep it up subaru

Exactly why that is a problem.

Selling out is still selling.

They are going to see this as a big emboldenment, and encouragement to continue the same behavior.

The problem is, that they aren't diversifying, they are changing focus entirely.

They aren't ADDING mainstream to their line, they are changing their line to be mainstream, and not leaving much of anything for those of us who liked what made Subarus unique, and NOT average before, most significantly, lithe sportiness, and high value, competent content.

The lithe size, and the high value content options are going away, and Subaru sees a reason to continue to do that.

When they take that to it's logical conclusion, They'll continue to follow Toyota and Honda down that road, and eventually the cars that enthusiasts are enthusiastic about will be as old as my SVX is now... and require a lot of maintenance, and out of production spare parts.... Cars don't last forever.

Unless Subaru finds a reason to return to a niche, high-value position with some enthusiast flair put back in, and building cars, not just rolling appliances.

I agree. So, maybe Subaru made the right choice from a business perspective. I can't fault them for that, I guess. But I miss the "poor man's BMW" character of the old, sleek and sporty Legacy, and I will not even consider this new generation. It's a shame, because now I'll have to save up for a real BMW for my next car! ;)

I agree. So, maybe Subaru made the right choice from a business perspective. I can't fault them for that, I guess. But I miss the "poor man's BMW" character of the old, sleek and sporty Legacy, and I will not even consider this new generation. It's a shame, because now I'll have to save up for a real BMW for my next car! ;)

Yes, and from a business perspective there aren't many like you. That is going from a $20K 2.5i to a $40K 3 series is a bit of s stretch that most won't make. I hope you do as the 328xi is a nice car. Just saying that SOA isn't going to be too worried about losing 2.5i Legacy buyers to bmw.

I also acknowledge that if you don’t want an LGT as an upgrade from your current ride [and I know you don’t ;-)] you really don’t have much of a choice.

In a way BL/BP was an aberration. So was SVX. Both are examples of Subaru attempts to go somewhat upscale.

Earlier generations of Legacy weren't upscale much, at least they had character and sporty aspirations, and unique styling and features (e.g frameless windows).

I think BP/BL was best styled and appointed car Subaru ever made (particularly the JDM/ROW versions), truly worthwhile 3-series/A4 contender that offered much better bang for the buck. While SVX wasn't successful much, I think BP/BL was tremendously successful in Japan, less so in the US. While BM/BR is likely to be more popular in the US, I think they may lose customers in Japan. Overall it may be a wash for the global company, but a win for SOA.

The issue is 2010 Legacy is a double or triple blow to the enthusiasts, because it's no longer sporty, it's mainstream'ized, bloated and ugly to top it off. But we all know that.

Exactly why that is a problem.

Selling out is still selling.

They are going to see this as a big emboldenment, and encouragement to continue the same behavior.

The problem is, that they aren't diversifying, they are changing focus entirely.

They aren't ADDING mainstream to their line, they are changing their line to be mainstream, and not leaving much of anything for those of us who liked what made Subarus unique, and NOT average before, most significantly, lithe sportiness, and high value, competent content.

The lithe size, and the high value content options are going away, and Subaru sees a reason to continue to do that.

When they take that to it's logical conclusion, They'll continue to follow Toyota and Honda down that road, and eventually the cars that enthusiasts are enthusiastic about will be as old as my SVX is now... and require a lot of maintenance, and out of production spare parts.... Cars don't last forever.

Unless Subaru finds a reason to return to a niche, high-value position with some enthusiast flair put back in, and building cars, not just rolling appliances.

The problem with this is that Subaru is running a business. And in business terms the dollars of an enthusiast, although filled with true love of the product, are not worth more than the dollars of Joe Schmo who doesn't give a crap more about his car than his refrigerator. This is one of the downfalls of a capitalist society. Unfortunately if you want the value that we've all come to love in our Subys, then we will need to pay for it in more exotic/rare cars or in the time we spend researching and modifying our next car.

So, don't companies like Audi and BMW make their money by focusing on a superior product, and catering to enthusiasts? Is it that it can't be done in the sub-35k price range? I thought what made Subaru special is that they did manage to do it in a more affordable class of cars, but I guess making an AWD Camry is more profitable.

Dont care. Not buying one.

No HID's, No Smart Key, No Memory seats, 1999 interior = no new business from me.

I want this key. This is what I expect when I pay $33k for a car.

http://www.dg-car.net/attachments/forumid_563/20091027_95bb97e7f25e4798a35faQjmBDvcH0T6.jpg

SOA sucks

So, don't companies like Audi and BMW make their money by focusing on a superior product, and catering to enthusiasts?

...ummm no, BMW and Audi enthusiast offerings do not represent the majority of the products that they offer or sell.

No HID's, No Smart Key, No Memory seats, 1999 interior = no new business from me.

SOA sucks

These keys are stupid, dangerous and should be banned.

SOA sucks

These keys are stupid, dangerous and should be outlawed.

In fact you can still use the ebrake as an emergency brake. Just hold a button for 2 seconds, it will start brake. Release the button to disengage the brake.

Hold 2 seconds. :lol::rolleyes::lol:

Emergency can wait, no problem.

Kills me people can be so stupid to excuse such a flawed idea as electric parking/emergency brake.

If people want it, but are unwilling to wait for it...

How robust can the demand really be?

Maybe that should be called thin demand, because it sure isn't robust demand. If it were really, and truly being sought out, people would wait to get what they really wanted.

Sure a different thing than me going half way across the country to get a 2005 Legacy when dealers didn't have any, and I spent many weeks looking. Nobody was even interested in ordering me a new car at that point.

If people want it, but are unwilling to wait for it...

How robust can the demand really be?

Maybe that should be called thin demand, because it sure isn't robust demand. If it were really, and truly being sought out, people would wait to get what they really wanted.

Sure a different thing than me going half way across the country to get a 2005 Legacy when dealers didn't have any, and I spent many weeks looking. Nobody was even interested in ordering me a new car at that point.

Walking away doesn't necessarily mean walking away from Subaru. It could just be walking to another Subie dealer.

Archived