LegacyGT.com

Subaru Sales up 41% for October 2009

SoldonSubie

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think its more the mainstream redesign than advertising. theyve always had commercials and advertising campaigns. the difference is that they are marketing a more 'mainstream' vehicle for the North American masses. Bigger bodied sedans and alternative small & crossover suvs are whats in now. subaru, unfortunately for those of us who realize that their previous generation was much better (or at least much better looking), downshifted design gears and is now realizing higher rpms (sales). ill be happy if they use their newfound profit to mass produce the Trax Sti for public purchase

It's the mainstream design that got me to buy it. Mainly the larger size and AWD without the weight. I'm new to the fold so I'm not a sensative to the unpopular changes. But there are only a few choices in the AWD sedan category at the price point of the Legacy.

Without the AWD, I would have made another choice. That is probably why SOA worked towards a price point and cut in some areas so they could offset the AWD cost disadvantage.

I keep hearing about the uglification of the Legacy. But I hear that about half of the time when a car gets a major redesign. Then the eye and mind adjust and they look normal while the previous generation looks dated.

Guest heightsgtltd

It's a mix of the two. The design now appeals to everyman, and they are putting a little money behind the marketing.

Let's get real though, the 112% increase was from 1,538 to 3,254 :spin:

That's pretty legit for them! 112% is pretty big time (although the numbers of cars aren't that huge). let's get real... They made the cars bigger and now they are selling big.

Looks like at this rate we'll all be driving hummers in 25 years!

October sales for other low volume sedans

2009 vs 2008

+112.0% 3,254/1,538 Legacy

-20.3% 3,016/3,784 A4

-26.4% 2,975/4,040 Mazda6

-44.2% 2,512/4,340 TL

-07.5% 2,448/2,647 G37 Sedan

+20.2% 2,298/1,844 TSX

+61.9% 811/501 Volvo S40

-46.8% 471/886 Passat

whether by volume or performance... that's a healthy gain.

*edit messed up the TSX number... it should be a positive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

also... the Impreza number is a typo and should be a

typo

we sold more in Oct 2009 (3049) versus Oct 2008 (2891)

*edit looks like the press release has the right numbers but the wrong % still.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If only they managed to do it without making the Legacy so darn ugly in the process! Good for Subaru, but sorry, I can't stay on the bandwagon. When I replace my '07 Legacy, it'll be with something a lot sleeker and better looking than the 2010 Legacy!

If only they managed to do it without making the Legacy so darn ugly in the process! Good for Subaru, but sorry, I can't stay on the bandwagon. When I replace my '07 Legacy, it'll be with something a lot sleeker and better looking than the 2010 Legacy!

Going from a 2.5i and if you are willing to accept FWD or even RWD you'll have many options. Even at Subaru not all owners will be repeat buyers.

I hope to be able to upgrade to something along the lines of a BMW 328xi by the time I'm ready for my next car. Or, I'll consider another Legacy if by that time it's undergone another redesign, and isn't so ugly!

The 328xi was on my short list this time around. I want MT with AWD and prefer a turbo or supercharger as I live at a decent elevation (6500). This worked against the 328xi as it was just plain slow. For that reason I also looked at the 335xi and the a4 2.0t as well. MT’s, while offered, are very hard to find with those makes. One dealer had 74 A4’s and no mt’s!

The 328xi is nice but very cramped and spartan. A $35K base gets up into the low mid $40’s pretty quickly. Of course some people actually like vinyl seats!

Another option would be a WRX. Spec one out size and space wise and you’ll find that it is right there with your 2.5i and the 3 series. If I didn’t like the 10 LGT when it came out I would have given serious thought to the wrx. Cheers.

Is a 328 more cramped than my '07 Legacy? I like the size of my Subie.

I'm pretty sure the 3 Series still has a couple of things that I'd miss on the 2010 Legacy, including a real parking brake handle (rather than a stupid e-brake button on the dash), a coolant temp gauge, and folding side mirrors.

I'm pretty sure the 3 Series still has a couple of things that I'd miss on the 2010 Legacy, including a real parking brake handle (rather than a stupid e-brake button on the dash), a coolant temp gauge, and folding side mirrors.

I put 2 to 3 kids in my back seat and the 3 series was a bit of a squeeze compared to my 05 OBXT. The parking brake thing is a sad reality. The a4 has the same e brake. As a matter of fact the 3 series is the only awd/MT car that still has a parking brake you can manually lift up. Saab’s don’t count as the only thing worse than their reliability is their resale value.

Seriously, manually lifted parking brakes are going away and that makes me sad.

it's amazing what advertising will do

I think word of mouth has something to do with it too...I meet Subaru owners all the time and I have yet to find one who wouldn't reccomend a Subaru to a friend. New owners, old owners, all seem to want another one.

I like the electronic parking brake because I no longer worry about forgot releasing parking brake before driving away. Some people have very bad experience driving a car with parking brake on. Finally, you can still drift a car without using a parking brake. :)

I like the electronic parking brake because I no longer worry about forgot releasing parking brake before driving away. Some people have very bad experience driving a car with parking brake on. Finally, you can still drift a car without using a parking brake. :)

There is already an idiot light on the dash with manual parking brake. Seriously are there bigger idiots out there for whom this is not enough? What else you don't want to worry about?

thing is you cant use the ebrake as an emergency brake anymore thats what people are griping about, besides if you wanted to drift i think an AWD car would be the last thing t ge ton the list lol

Yes, also traditional parking brake is accessible to the passenger and is simply more reliable.

There as absolutely no reason or benefit for this bullshit and it's a safety hazard. I despise all the "cool" features that do nothing except compromising safety and adding complexity. Another example is push button start that eliminates a simple mechanical instantaneous way to shut down the engine. Something that should be banned since it already claimed lives. Luckily due to cost savings, SOA didn't bring this crap from JDM land.

Archived