LegacyGT.com

Legacy Problems

From looking at the various comments of new Legacy owners on the various forums, there seem to be only 2 problem areas so far 1. Air bag recall, because bags were deploying slower than Subaru required. 2. Water from rain and car washing is getting trapped somewhere above the door, and dousing driver or passenger when door is opened. All in all, not too bad.

Those two are what I am aware of from reading various forums. IIRC, the 350Z and/or G35 has/had the water problem too, but I can't remember reading any solutions. I wonder why the water problem exists here but not in other markets (if it does, shouldn't they have fixed it already?)?

This Space For Rent

[quote name='outahere']Looks like the automotive engineers never test their vehicles in the rain.[/quote] I think they were more concerned about tire grip and handling to notice anything above their heads. I'd perfer this problem over the car sliding into a pole. :) It's never perfect, just really close.

• 4 weeks later...
A few people over at edmunds.com are having a problem with a mild engine stutter or misfire when driving with a moderate throttle opening. IIRC one of the online reviewers complained about the same thing. Anybody on these forums experiencing the same thing? Any WRX owners experienced this?

[quote name='outahere']A few people over at edmunds.com are having a problem with a mild engine stutter or misfire when driving with a moderate throttle opening. IIRC one of the online reviewers complained about the same thing. Anybody on these forums experiencing the same thing? Any WRX owners experienced this?[/quote] I don't think I have, but I'll pay closer attention. I think it's just my getting used to a clutch. :D

With 1,200 miles on my Legacy GT Limited wagon (manual trans), I've encountered no stutter or misfire. Also it's rained here several times and I haven't gotten doused yet. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

I've got a 2005 OB XT 5MT, and I am experience the stutter some people have been talking about... it's small but annoying... always happens between 2500 and 3500 rpms, and I'd say primarily in 2nd and 3rd, under moderate to heavy acceleration. I did think it had something to do with the turbo, but I'm not sure. Not sure how else to describe it, there's a slight repeated hesitation, or stutter as you pass through that 1000rmp range... some people on Edmunds mentioned a grounding kit... any thoughts on whether or not this would be any help? Maybe it just has something to do with it being a brand new engine, and it will go away after it's broken in?

I noticed the stutter in the vehicle I test drove. It was not always there and I mostly noticed it while going up hill. Very faint but it was noticable. Was going to test drive a different car before placing my order to see if it was just that car but now it seems like others have noticed the issue. What trans was in the car? The car I drove was a: 2.5 GT Limited Manual Trans Atlantic Blue (perhaps its the color) :)

Many previous or current WRX owners are familiar with the hesitation experienced during part and/or full throttle. It is not a misfire. The GT, mine included, seems to have the same issue most of the time. WRX owners, including me, tried the grounding mod with varying results. Generally, quality WRX ECU reflashes (Cobb, EcuTek) would greatly reduce the issue which would point to the stock ECU programming parameters causing the hesitation. This doesn't mean Subaru has done a poor job with the ECU. For example, the programming needs to account for a long list of variables including fuel economy and the likelihood that owners will treat their cars like crap (wrong octane, little regard for the maintenance schedule, etc.) and then drive them in extreme conditions. ECU reflashes raise the operating variables but also assume that the car will be treated with more respect than the average owner. For now I am not sufficiently bothered by the issue with my GT to worry about it. But that is based on my experience with the WRX. If I was a reviewer used to driving NA 6 or 8 cylinder cars it would strike me as a bit odd. Tom

[quote name='WRXTom']...... This doesn't mean Subaru has done a poor job with the ECU. For example, the programming needs to account for a long list of variables including fuel economy and the likelihood that owners will treat their cars like crap (wrong octane, little regard for the maintenance schedule, etc.) and then drive them in extreme conditions....[/quote] I am less inclined to cut Subaru some slack on this issue. All manufacturers have to deal with this long list of variables, and I have not heard of them having a problem with stuttering/hesitating engines. They need to do a better job with their ECU programming on the GT, especially since this problem, albeit minor, seems to have been around a few years in the WRX.

I've had my 2.5GT for almost 2 weeks. Noticed the very slight hesitation when going up hill, especially between 60 - 80 mph and when not pushing the rpms above 4000. Thought I was imagining things. Other than that, no problems at this point.

Archived