LegacyGT.com

Sorry if repost:

Service Program WVM-23 (2006 - 2009 Legacy / Outback or 2008 - 2010 Forester 2.5L with PZEV)

Dear Subaru Owner:

We would like to thank you for selecting a 2006 - 2009 Subaru Legacy / Outback or 2008 - 2010 Subaru Forester with a 2.5 Liter engine equipped with a California Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV) emission system. At Subaru, we take pride in our products and are committed to your continued satisfaction. During a quality review, we discovered that under certain severe driving patterns, such as high speed highway/uphill driving and/or accelerating with high engine revolutions, the efficiency of your vehicle’s catalytic converter may begin to degrade beyond design parameters. (The “Check Engine” light will illuminate to alert you if the catalytic converter efficiency has degraded beyond an acceptable level and if your vehicle may be releasing air pollutants that exceed Federal or California emission standards.) To prevent this condition, Subaru has developed a modification to the Engine Control Module software logic that will improve management of the catalytic converter. This software change will not adversely affect the performance of your vehicle.

WHAT WE ARE ASKING YOU TO DO PROMPTLY

We suggest that you schedule an appointment with your Subaru dealer as soon as possible to have your vehicle’s Engine Control Module software reprogrammed. The approximate time to perform this update is 40 minutes. However, it may be necessary for you to leave your car for a longer period on the day of your scheduled appointment to allow your dealer flexibility in scheduling other appointments. Your Subaru dealer will perform this repair at no cost to you.

CALIFORNIA REGISTERED OWNERS

The California Air Resources Board requires that emission related campaigns be completed prior to California’s vehicle registration renewal process; without this repair, you will not be able to register your vehicle during your next annual registration. Upon completion of the services required by this campaign, your California dealer will complete and provide you a “Proof of Correction Certificate.” If required, present the certificate to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (the “DMV”) when renewing your California registration as proof of campaign completion. If the DMV does not request the certificate, we recommend that you keep it for your records.

In addition, the State of California requires that every vehicle must pass an emission test (SMOG Check) every two years and before it is sold. Without the free service we are providing, your vehicle may be more likely to fail this test and require that you make costly repairs.

IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE

To locate the nearest Subaru dealer you can click here. You may also email us by clicking here or call us at 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783) during normal business hours for assistance. Please call us immediately if the dealer fails or is unable to complete this procedure free of charge. Your continued satisfaction with Subaru is important to us. This modification is intended to assure your vehicle’s optimal performance. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this matter may cause and urge you to schedule an appointment as soon as possible to have this repair performed.

Note: You may be receiving this prior to a postal notification of this information. This is either because we have your email address on file or because you have registered to receive alerts through MySubaru.com. Please feel free to schedule an appointment with your Subaru dealer to have this repair performed even if you have not yet received your notification by mail.

Sincerely,

Subaru of America, Inc.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After my thousand break in miles, I got an oil change and drove another 1500 miles, driving pretty normally but winding it out every now and then, and then, I upgraded to Valvoline Synthetic 10w30 and ever since, I've been hitting near-redline on a daily basis (after warming up to proper operating temp, of course).

Do you think my PZEV cats are shot? I've got 5500 miles on the car now.

Better off not losing sleep over it. Take it in and get the recall done before they do go bad.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Yeah and subbie cats arent cheap ($600):eek:

For a PZEV, add another $1200 to that price.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Someone post up when they eventually get this flash. Just wondering if any change will be noticeable

You won't notice any change:lol:

recalls are covered for the life of the vehicle unless noted.

Anyone have any details on this? Ive already got 40k on my 08... mostly aggressive highway driving... eeeek. I'm assuming since this is a recall, as long as I bring it in soon if the cats are shot they will replace them?

I'd rather be in your shoes than mine. If you've got 40k on your cats, odds are they are shot and will be replaced.

I've only got 5500k on mine so my best guess is that they are damaged but not damaged sufficiently to warrant replacement.

I could be completely wrong though. We'll see, I dropped my car off this morning.

^I agree, I read the recall and laughed, because that describes my driving style to the tee. 27k miles already, cats are probably on their way out then. But like I said, I believe the cats are 15 years, 150k miles. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

My question is, in those driving situations described, the cats are being harmed. An overly rich condition perhaps? How will performance not be affected if the recall flash is supposed to fix this?

Any Subie techs have any more details on this? What can we except to be told at the dealership, anything we should make sure if before we bring it in. I'd like to bring my car down ASAP for this, but I'm always hesitant to to just hand my car over to the dealer without knowing exactly what they are going to do.

They will reflash the vehicle with updated software logic. They will not replace any converters unless there is a p0420 code failure and the proper repair calls for a converter replacement.

The Converters are covered for 8/80k unless your vehicle is license/registered in California or any state that has adopted their emissions regulations(NY, Maine,Mass, and Rhode Island and Vermont w/ 08 models and NJ starting with 09 models) then it is 15/150k.

They will reflash the vehicle with updated software logic. They will not replace any converters unless there is a p0420 code failure and the proper repair calls for a converter replacement.

The Converters are covered for 8/80k unless your vehicle is license/registered in California or any state that has adopted their emissions regulations(NY, Maine,Mass, and Rhode Island and Vermont w/ 08 models and NJ starting with 09 models) then it is 15/150k.

That's a little disconcerting. I live in CT. If the problem is as widespread as it sounds, I've probable already experienced significant degradation, so if I have the ECM reflashed and it slows the problem. I can wind up in a situation with the cat's failing at 80k+

That's a little disconcerting. I live in CT. If the problem is as widespread as it sounds, I've probable already experienced significant degradation, so if I have the ECM reflashed and it slows the problem. I can wind up in a situation with the cat's failing at 80k+

Folks, bad things are not going to happen. All they are doing is being proactive. If your cat is bad, you will get a p0420 code for it. If it is, they will also make the repairs under warranty as well. Regular cats can fail beyond 80k just like yours. There may not be any issues with them. Let's not do what we are known for on the forums and make a little issue a major catastrophe.

Thanks for the info yet again btw, you seem to always be on here helping people out.

I try my best, but I stay out of the warranty section and refuse to help anyone in there because of past experience there. Sometimes it is better to not help anyone, than offer help, correct bad info, get criticized and questioned, or told I am wrong, when my information comes from the source and not internet research. I found it is better for me to be an enthusiast, than to waste my time trying to help everyone. So I hang out in this section more :D

From what I have read, the "check engine light" threshold on our vehicles is extremely low. In other words, if the cat is bad, the check engine light will come on. If the light isn't on, the cat is in sound condition.

I just got my car back, feels perfectly fine, no difference whatsoever.

However, I am disappointed with the dealership. The lot guy that pulls up the cars obviously didn't know how to drive a stick. He rolls up in 2nd gear, which is fine for the speed he was going, then instead of pushing the clutch in and putting the car in neutral, he just slowed and stopped the car / stalled the engine. Basically leaving the car in gear and coming to a stop. ******* idiot.

^I agree, I read the recall and laughed, because that describes my driving style to the tee. 27k miles already, cats are probably on their way out then. But like I said, I believe the cats are 15 years, 150k miles. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

My question is, in those driving situations described, the cats are being harmed. An overly rich condition perhaps? How will performance not be affected if the recall flash is supposed to fix this?

I thought of this as well, but I don't think stock injectors on a 2.5i can flow sufficiently to create a substantial overly rich condition. It takes quite a bit of fuel to ruin a cat like this, but it is possible. Anyway, I hope the stock injectors can't dump enough fuel to poison the cats.

Archived