LegacyGT.com

Old man winter can suck my left nut...

Hugo L.

That tread pattern is much like the Nokian RSi. Although it's been a number of years since I drove studded tires, I found them to be less effective on a wet road surface. In most places here in the US it's probably better to have a snow tire with good rubber compound. Good luck with those tires; in your winter they should do well.

They have drawback, but my commute is done on a lot of city streets with stop signs and intersections that ice over in no time. I need a tire that performs well. I had Continental ContiWinterContacts and these were just awful.

i wish i could drive with studded snows for the winter but here in NY they are illegal. i had dunlop M3's on my cobalt SS a few years back and they were amazing in the snow. im shopping for a used set of blizzaks or dunlop 3D's for the subie now. have fun with the studs!!

...because with these babies, I don't care about snow, ice and anything in between.

Pics taken from an Audi forum, but you get the idea!

Studded Hankook W409 winter iPike.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/5267/img0617ah.jpg

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7864/img0616ha.jpg

:)

Nice tire's. I purchased a set of hankook ice bears last year and couldn't be happier with them.

i wish i could drive with studded snows for the winter but here in NY they are illegal. i had dunlop M3's on my cobalt SS a few years back and they were amazing in the snow. im shopping for a used set of blizzaks or dunlop 3D's for the subie now. have fun with the studs!!

The good thing about Alaska is that studded snow tiers are legal from September 1 through the following August.

• 1 month later...

After getting pummeled with snow, and having to deal with icy conditions, I can positively say that these tires are AWESOME.

ABS almost never kicks in, traction is there, I finally feel safe in my car, instead of having to become an improvised drifter at every street corner.

And when I purposely get the car to drift upon accelerating at the apex of a corner, the car maintains its composure and is very predictable and steerable.

So far, best tires I've had in my life.

^ I'm really not sure that pulling the studs out will help that much.

Absolute dry and wet performance just are not strengths of these tires.

Heck, even with "Performance Winters" such as the Dunlop SP WinterSport 3Ds, at 225-width, I can still coax my car sideways - and I'm only at "Stage II." With your LGT's power, I can only imagine how much more careful I'd have to be. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 4 weeks later...
Posting these pics since I couldn't find many detailed photos of 205/50/17's installed when I was searching for winters. Tires are a big difference (both good & bad) compared to the shot RE92's I had on there for last 4 years. Great traction in snow/slush and the taller tire does better soaking up road irregularities. As mentioned before, these tires float quite a bit at highway speeds although hard cornering seems to be much more stable than freeway lane changes. Road noise is about the same as stock and for a sub $500 winter option (including installation), they work great and I'm definitely happy.

hankook4.thumb.jpg.007028e28d819afd005ec93da3ff67f8.jpg

hankook3.thumb.jpg.040be2384a4d8fc820a1fe25b710e07d.jpg

hankook2.thumb.jpg.d13e95b88aa5632abfdb701d05c172ea.jpg

hankook1.thumb.jpg.72a81deffd6e1b4dd979fe055a793ea8.jpg

• 2 months later...

I removed my tires this past weekend.

Even though we had a very warm winter (which means they spent more than their fair share of time on asphalt), I'm very happy at how little they've worn.

They still look new (as do the studs).

They are floaty at highway speeds and the car just doesn't corner or brake very well with these, but again, this is not their purpose.

I can confidently say these are the best winter tires I've ever had in my 17 years of driving.

Archived