LegacyGT.com

Newbie+Upgrades = ?

Hello all,

I would like to introduce myself seeing as I'll hopefully be spending a great deal of time on this forum for the next few years. I'm a 21yo mattress salesman that has about 10-11 hours of downtime each and every of the 4 days I work a week, meaning I need to have something to burn time. I'm mechanically apt but I have never owned a Subaru or a turbo making me a newbie in need of some upgrades. Finally I recently sold my 1986 Prelued with a 2000 B20z bottom end and a VTEC head engine swap that had far more into it than any FWD truly deserves... That is me in a nutshell right now, that being said, hello all and I look forward to your help!

I now have a 05BP GT LTD 5-EAT (No idea if that is the proper canter) that is clean as a whistle, Just did a 60k and 105k service so all the filters, fluids, belts and plugs are fresh, it seems like the best starting point for my new project. I want to start upgrading it to get more performance while maintaining engine stability, ie as few blown turbos and bend valves as possible, here is where you come in. I need all your hardened subaru expertise to guide me from stock to road destroying ubersoob...

So please lend me your time and knowledge by posting what the most logical flow of modifications is, what the most beneficial are, if there are some that I should do in order to do others it would be greatly appreciated if it was noted, and what the overall gain is going to be for each step. I know it is asking alot but I have alot of time on my hands. Knowing costs, benefits, and good choices of basic upgrades like intercoolers, and exhausts is what I'll need the most at first. Things like injectors, turbos, blow-offs, I want and need the detailed info for but won't be able to start doing until I find a mech shop willing to let me work there for a nominal fee, hehe.

I really appreciate it and look forward to getting to know you all.

Newbie+Upgrades= Ubernewb... Hope I can overcome that stigma in time!

Congrats on getting your new vehicle! I just got my 05 gt about 2 weeks ago and I can't wait to mod mine! Just need money..

Anyway, I think your best bet for the first mod (IMHO) should be getting an Accessport. Get it used or new, it doesnt matter. If you wanna save couple of bills, just get used. With that, just flash it stock and you'll have 290hp. If you want more, get turboback and flash stage 2.

If that's not enough you can go about upgrading you injectors, turbo, fuel pump, and intercooler. Once you get that far, you might wanna consider getting better clutch and flywheel.

It never hurts to get some good suspension too. If you don't mind stiff rides, get coilovers. Get sways and strut bars if you want some more rigity.

Hope this helps.

Forget getting an overpriced Cobb AccessPort.

Search eBay for a vag-com cable.

Gut the stock cat(s) in your downpipe (or find aftermarket)

Pick up a used aftermarket up pipe (for sake of keeping junk from getting into your turbo from not completely removing the cat in the OEM up pipe)

Contact Infamous1 for an e-tune (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103997).

The biggest performance gains come from the UP/DP and tune.

First, get a Cobb Accessport. If you are a beginner, an off-the-shelf map is going to be your best bet so you don't blow your car up. Dont bother with DIY tuning, could end up being WAY more expensive in the end.

Second, get a used STi up-pipe. These sell on Nasioc all the time for $75 or less shipped. Factory heat shield, factory fitment, just no cat or EGT probe.

As far as stage 2 goes, I personally decided to gut the pre-cat in my downpipe and leave the main cat. I plan to leave it that way until I have enough money to bolt a 3" catted downpipe to a full 3" catback exhaust. Just personal preference. Don't want to go catless mostly because been there, done that, don't like the smell.

Suspension - I decided to start big and then do small upgrades as I feel necessary. I installed the BC BR Coilovers and am very satisfied with them for the price.

On the search for a new DD...

im doing mine like this:

Suspension- Tien H techs on stocker struts along with Perrin 22mm F&R sway. i got all that for around 5-600, just by browsing this site and making strategic purchases over the past couple months.

Next for me, its gonna be the stage II upgrade. Sti UP along with a new or used or gutted stock DP and tune. I dont have many details for 2 reasons. i havent done it yet so cant tell you of my experience and dont wanna waste your time w/ my mostly uneducated opinion as there are many more fit members here who can help

all of this was done with visual mods along the way. it seems like you have some downtime (as i do these days as well)... do alot of rumaging through the forums... the search feature is helpful. GL & enjoy

I'd suggest suspension first. That's the weakest part of the car. Tein S. Tech springs can be had for around $200 to $300 and aren't that difficult to install.

When you decide you want more power, I agree that the Accessport is the safest route. You may be able to get more power with other tuning options, but the Cobb tunes are proven and reliable.

OMG! I'm so happy I got such a huge responce! I'm sorry I haven't been replying, took a 6 day weekend and haven't had much time to kill.

I think I want to start with power personaly, the GT is still much more stable than the only other AWD turbo car I've driven (90' eagel talon) so it think I'll get by for now, but the suspension wasn't even a huge though in my mind before and it really sounds like it is going to be an important feature to upgrade.

What do you think of this, I'll start by buying the STi up pipe (don't want to even have an issue with chunks destroying the turbo), gut the downpipe cat, I read the how to guide and it sounds not only easy to do but much safer than the up-pipe. It sounds like I can make those mods without worring about it causing issues and it needs to be done before I add a tuning setup.

Next go for the access port. My biggest concern is over tuning for my engine at this point. Should I possibly change out the intercooler before in order to give the machine a little more optimal running conditions, or are these tuning programs really designed to be run on almost stock models?

I would also like a little more info from you all on the tuning programs, I'll do my part too, but it seems like many of you use these and can give me some first hand opinions on them. So please tell me what programs you use, what net gains are, what reasonable prices are and really how well they run on minamly modified engines.

I'll get new springs after that but at current all my tools are still about 150mi. from where I now live, including my spring tensioners so removing my suspention at the moment would require shop time, something I'm trying to keep to a minimum, I really want to say that I modified it...

Once again thank you for the overwhelming support, it looks like I'll be on the fast track with the help of you all very soon... pun intended.

On a side note... Money is something I have plenty of but hate to waste... so I want to know what the best things are and what the best buys are. I would love to take this car as far as I can with as little money as possible, but please don't hesitate to mention something because it has a higher price associated with it. if I feel it gives me a big enough benifit I have no quams spending a little extra for it... especially when it comes to makeing the engine more stable!

Thanks again,

Ubernewb

since when did a flash give u the power of a 16g? O.O

i must have like 500 hp at stage 2.5

Congrats on getting your new vehicle! I just got my 05 gt about 2 weeks ago and I can't wait to mod mine! Just need money..

Anyway, I think your best bet for the first mod (IMHO) should be getting an Accessport. Get it used or new, it doesnt matter. If you wanna save couple of bills, just get used. With that, just flash it stock and you'll have 290hp. If you want more, get turboback and flash stage 2.

If that's not enough you can go about upgrading you injectors, turbo, fuel pump, and intercooler. Once you get that far, you might wanna consider getting better clutch and flywheel.

It never hurts to get some good suspension too. If you don't mind stiff rides, get coilovers. Get sways and strut bars if you want some more rigity.

Hope this helps.

What do you think of this, I'll start by buying the STi up pipe (don't want to even have an issue with chunks destroying the turbo), gut the downpipe cat, I read the how to guide and it sounds not only easy to do but much safer than the up-pipe. It sounds like I can make those mods without worring about it causing issues and it needs to be done before I add a tuning setup.

Next go for the access port. My biggest concern is over tuning for my engine at this point. Should I possibly change out the intercooler before in order to give the machine a little more optimal running conditions, or are these tuning programs really designed to be run on almost stock models?

Do the Accessport first so you can turn off the CELs you will throw by getting rid of 2 cats and an EGT sensor. Plus, you can enjoy Stage 1 for a little while before you get rid of the cats. The OTS tunes are pretty good, but you can improve upon them with AccessTuner Race. You can acquire that software by just emailing Cobb through their website. It is still a Beta, so there are a few bugs to be worked out with ATR, but it works for what it is. Intercooler - I would do full exhaust first, that holds the car's potential back more. The factory top mount is notorious for blowing end tanks, but if it aint broke, dont fix it. At least, that's my current mentality. Plus, I am trying to stay top mount and there are only 2 options available. As far a gutting the DP, it's simple, just somewhat time consuming.

I'll get new springs after that but at current all my tools are still about 150mi. from where I now live, including my spring tensioners so removing my suspention at the moment would require shop time, something I'm trying to keep to a minimum, I really want to say that I modified it...

If you do coilovers, the spring and shock assembly is already assembled. You would just need some ratchets and wrenches to install them. Several members on the forums would disagree with using coilovers on the street, but I personally think they are worth it for their adjustability and ease of installation. Plus the ride is smooth enough for my tastes.

On the search for a new DD...

If you do coilovers, the spring and shock assembly is already assembled. You would just need some ratchets and wrenches to install them. Several members on the forums would disagree with using coilovers on the street, but I personally think they are worth it for their adjustability and ease of installation. Plus the ride is smooth enough for my tastes.

I meant removing mine would be the tricky part, hehe.

So accessport with stage one first. THEN swap the UP and gut the DP. THEN go stage 2 and JB the end tanks. THEN toss on a 3" exhaust.

Just wanted to make sure I'm getting this all right. I've always thought people who set planned goals achieve them so I'm going to try to have all this done in say 3 months. I'll try and find an access port in the next week or two, the UP and DP will be done the weekend after that and stage two shouldn't be to hard to get, it is just finding the time and place to build a 3" and hang it that will take a couple months.

As for the suspension I live on Mt. Bachelor in Oregon and will be driving on low traction surfaces fairly often. I want to know what is going to give me the best stability without DRASTICALLY reducing ride comfort.

Surprisingly enough I'll likely be able to do all the engine mods without the wife noticing much, but if make the suspension too stiff she'll tear me a new one, hehe.

On a side note, I live outside of DEQ and likely will my entire life, most place here in Oregon are outside DEQ it seems.. so can I make any additional modifications to the exhaust since emissions aren't even close to a concern of mine?

Thanks as always,

Ubernewb

Suspension: Imo, coilovers can lead to harsh ride, lots of strange clunking noises, iffy quality (depending on brand). I went the Bilstein route and it totally transformed the car. Feels much closer to Audi/BMW ride and handling. You can pick up a SpecB or JDM setup for $800 or less. No need to go with monster sway bars. Under car braces are also very beneficial to give you a tighter feeling ride. Of course tires can make a huge difference and be careful not to end up with heavy wheels.

Good luck, I've had a blast scratching the mod itch.

Performance: Stage II is a big jump in performance for relatively little money. After that gains become much more expensive. Watch out for your 5EAT. If you like to launch I would suggest the upgraded valve body. Trans cooler and synthetic fluid at a minimum.

Hope this helps.

Hello all,

I would like to introduce myself seeing as I'll hopefully be spending a great deal of time on this forum for the next few years. I'm a 21yo mattress salesman that has about 10-11 hours of downtime each and every of the 4 days I work a week, meaning I need to have something to burn time. I'm mechanically apt but I have never owned a Subaru or a turbo making me a newbie in need of some upgrades. Finally I recently sold my 1986 Prelued with a 2000 B20z bottom end and a VTEC head engine swap that had far more into it than any FWD truly deserves... That is me in a nutshell right now, that being said, hello all and I look forward to your help!

I now have a 05BP GT LTD 5-EAT (No idea if that is the proper canter) that is clean as a whistle, Just did a 60k and 105k service so all the filters, fluids, belts and plugs are fresh, it seems like the best starting point for my new project. I want to start upgrading it to get more performance while maintaining engine stability, ie as few blown turbos and bend valves as possible, here is where you come in. I need all your hardened subaru expertise to guide me from stock to road destroying ubersoob...

So please lend me your time and knowledge by posting what the most logical flow of modifications is, what the most beneficial are, if there are some that I should do in order to do others it would be greatly appreciated if it was noted, and what the overall gain is going to be for each step. I know it is asking alot but I have alot of time on my hands. Knowing costs, benefits, and good choices of basic upgrades like intercoolers, and exhausts is what I'll need the most at first. Things like injectors, turbos, blow-offs, I want and need the detailed info for but won't be able to start doing until I find a mech shop willing to let me work there for a nominal fee, hehe.

I really appreciate it and look forward to getting to know you all.

Newbie+Upgrades= Ubernewb... Hope I can overcome that stigma in time!

I suggest for suspension first get sway bars and tires (if youre on RE92s) then later if you want a near stock comfortablility with better performance get bilsteins and rallytek springs. All these can be purchaces relatively cheep in the marketplace area.

• 2 weeks later...
If you are comfortable with the idea of tuning your car, don't waste the $600+ on an AP. you can buy a $15 vag-com cable off of ebay, use a program called Romraider for tuning, ecutec for flashing your changes and Learning View to get a snap shot of the how the car is running (If timing is being pulled and to insure your IAM and AFR numbers look good. It sounds like you would enjoy opensource tuning. It's fun to learn and there are a lot of people here who can help. Plus you can tune your car to individual settings and your environment. I just bought an sti UP from a member and have already gutted my cat after the turbo. So if you have a laptop, you can go stage two for under $100. Plus it looks stock so it will pass inspections and dealership visits without problems.

I'll be installing my sti UP this weekend. And as mentioned, you only lose about 5-10 HP using the gutted down and up pipe vs. buying an aftermarket up and DP. But, if you are tuning the car yourself, more than likely you'll be putting up better numbers than an OTS map from cobb. so...

AP=$600

Up=$100+

DP=$200-$500 + depending on catted or not

That's at least $1,000 give or take for stage 2

or...

Gut your cat after the turbo $0

Sti UP I paid $75

Vag-com cable $15

Ah yes, also, all of the programs I mentioned are free to download legally.

I'm leaving my last cat so I have at least one for emissions testing and avoiding the smelly no cat exhaust smell.

Opensource FTW

Also, since you have a 5EAT, you'll want a tranny cooler. I'm not familiar with the specifics, because I have a 5MT, but do a search and you'll find plenty of info.

I thought tranny coolers were only really needed if you used launch control and draged alot. This is to be a DD, BUT, I live in a remote area where I swear to god the speed signs say "End 55 Speed Limit" LOL! If that isn't a direct challenge from the state I don't know what is...

Tranny coolers don't look like they take up much room/weight, or are very expensive, I just hesitate because I can go stage 2 pretty steathly with a simple catless UP and just gutting the DP, but if I've got a "extra intercooler" as someone I was talking to described it, hahaahahaaha, I think they'd notice.

PS: I cancled my order on a scoop plug by page 7 but you arses had me really scared/dumbfounded for at least 4 pages (I'd just washed my car), I hate you all!!!

- Ubernewb + stage one in like 3-4 business days lol!

Archived