LegacyGT.com

Newbie+Upgrades = ?

money isn't typically a huge issue with me so I figured it was the fastest way to go stage one, I'll likley start self tuning, but I figure that this is the fastest safest base platform, lol.

I'm about half way through imfamous1's tuning thread and if I don't just start making my own maps I'll at least have him do one for me.

Anyway.. I'm stage one now. Next step is a UP and DP. Just for clarification I CAN simply gut my DP cat without having to worry about metal getting into the engine, that is always what I thought but someone recently confused me, lol!

I could use some more info as far as exhausts go now... I want a good 3" BUT it can't be too loud or throaty because the wifey will kill me... I've already ruled out a single res straight pipe, lol, and most of the magnaflows seem too loud. If you have sound bites feel free to post them, I've been searching Utube but get sidetracked watching legacys destroy Evo VIII(s) good times.

Thanks,

Stage 1 Ubernewb

Dont gut the Cats in the UP as peices might get into the turbo and that can get destroyed. Just replace the UP. The Cats in the DP can be gutted w/o danger of particals in the engine.

You can gut the UP (Pain in the ass, from what I've heard) safely. I know infamous was running a stock gutted UP and DP for a while. You just have to make sure all the crap is out. It's pretty easy to tell, basied off of my DP gutting a few weeks back. I just went for an STI up. Stock look. No cat, fits like a glove.

Dont gut the Cats in the UP as peices might get into the turbo and that can get destroyed. Just replace the UP. The Cats in the DP can be gutted w/o danger of particals in the engine.

THANKS! That is what I thought but I wanted there to be NO confusion!

Here is yet another delema for me...

I live in Bend Oregon, 4000ft elev, and the cobb was saying my air intake temp was 34f all day... So my air density is??? good or bad, I'm not sure, higher elev = lower density / colder air = higher density... do I come out about equal? I read somewhere that a change in 20f = about 2500ft so the air is like it would be @67f at sea level?

And being in Oregon all I have available is 92 octane fuel... which leads me to ask......... should I use a 91 oct or a 93 oct tune!? I'm going to get a vag cable so I can log DA and knock efficiently, but until then do you think it is safe for me to go 93 oct?

Thanks,

Stg 1 UN

Archived