LegacyGT.com

Round 2 - Drove a 5MT Non-Limited GT Wagon

I thought I would start a new thread since the original one ([url=http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=893]Drove 5EAT and 5MT Non-Limited GT Wagons[/url]) was getting pretty long. Well, I had a chance to drive the Non-Limited Legacy GT Wagon 5MT, and I must say I now have a different impression. Before driving it, I timed a basic stat on my WRX: 30MPH-50MPH in 2nd gear (0-60 is difficult to time without a G-Timer). The reason for this test is that 30MPH is close to where the power starts to hit and I can start accelerating (at 20 MPH) and then start/stop the stopwatch without having to worry about shifting or even taking my foot off of the gas. Anyway, from multiple tests my WRX was around 2.5-2.6 seconds. This was with about 1/2 tank of gas. I performed the same test on the Legacy wagon and was getting 2.3-2.4 seconds, and that was with a full tank of gas. These are not scientific results, but I did my best to conduct them in the same manner. From those results, it appears that the Legacy is quicker than the WRX, and my initial impressions were incorrect. Unfortunately I was not able to drive the 5EAT, as I really wanted to get the 30-50 times for it. I also drove the wagon on familiar roads and on a multi-lane road and must say that with a frame of reference (i.e., other cars), the feeling of acceleration was really good. As in my WRX, it was very easy to find a gap and get there very quickly. The one major difference was that I was able to leave it in 3rd or 4th gear at 2K-2,500 RPMS (depending on the road/speed limit) and it would start accelerating pretty good from there, which my WRX will not do and would require a downshift for immediate power (I usually keep the RPMs constantly above 3,000 when in traffic on the interstate in case I need to pull ahead quickly). So I must recant my previous statement of being under whelmed by the 5MT and apologize for any issues it may have caused. The car is smoother than the WRX and the power comes on earlier, so in a way it is deceptive (especially when there is nothing to gauge the acceleration – that is my excuse for the previous test drive and I am sticking to it!). One other item – I looked at the window sticker and the dual-zone climate control is listed under the standard equipment section.

That dual-zone thing is interesting. The only thing I can think is that Subaru decided to make a running change. Someone over on NASIOC said that they heard from their dealer that the wagon got dual-zone standard, while the sedan didn't. We'll see as people start getting non-Limited GT wagons, if that is indeed the case, or if somebody just screwed up at the factory. And yes, the GT gets a more-bolstered seat than the 2.5i. Kevin

[quote name='racerdave']Good stuff, je. Where in the rev band would you say power starts to build on the GT? Also, were the GT (non Ltd) seats more bolstered than the 2.5i? Did you like them? Thanks![/quote] I would say the power is pretty good at 2,500 RPMs. Once or twice the RPMs were a little below that (I would guess 2,200 - since when I quickly glanced down I recalled it was definitely above 2K but not quite 2,500) and it would still start to pull (not overly hard, but more than enough that you did not have to downshift). One issue I have with my WRX is trying to pull-out at a T-intersection (i.e., go left or right) when you are stopped at the top of a hill. My WRX is a deathtrap, since it hardly moves for a few seconds until it gets to 3,000 RPMs (if you have the a/c on, the car wants to stall). The other option is to do a 4,000-RPM clutch drop, but instead I prefer to wait until there is a long break in traffic. Anyway, I put the Legacy in the same situation and it pulled out quickly without any problems. To me that definitely shows the difference in the low-end power between the two. I have not looked at the seats in a 2.5i, so unfortunately I cannot provide a comparison, but I did see the brown in the center sections of the seat this time (it was daylight). The one thing I noticed this time is that in my WRX with the seat at the lowest height, it feels as if you are sitting "in" the seat, compared to the Legacy where it kind of felt as if you are sitting "on" it. When I got in the Legacy and started adjusting the seat for the drive, I first reached for the height adjuster to lower it and found it was already in the lowest position. Now this is a personal preference/observation and I am sure I would easily get used to it (i.e., it is definitely not a deal breaker, not even close!). I am just mentioning it since it was something that I immediately noticed.

[quote name='je24'] I have not looked at the seats in a 2.5i, so unfortunately I cannot provide a comparison, but I did see the brown in the center sections of the seat this time (it was daylight). [/quote] What is your impression of the cloth interior? Rental car quality? Better than average? Handsome? Ugly?

[quote name='gtguy']That dual-zone thing is interesting. The only thing I can think is that Subaru decided to make a running change. Someone over on NASIOC said that they heard from their dealer that the wagon got dual-zone standard, while the sedan didn't. We'll see as people start getting non-Limited GT wagons, if that is indeed the case, or if somebody just screwed up at the factory. And yes, the GT gets a more-bolstered seat than the 2.5i. Kevin[/quote] I blame it on some n00bs at the facotry! :lol:

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='gtguy']That dual-zone thing is interesting. The only thing I can think is that Subaru decided to make a running change. Someone over on NASIOC said that they heard from their dealer that the wagon got dual-zone standard, while the sedan didn't. We'll see as people start getting non-Limited GT wagons, if that is indeed the case, or if somebody just screwed up at the factory. And yes, the GT gets a more-bolstered seat than the 2.5i. Kevin[/quote] I blame it on some n00bs at the facotry! :lol:[/quote] I contacted Subaru (John Mergen)about the dual climate control and he advised me that it is only available on the limited versions, not even an option on the standard GT sedan OR wagon so this truly is interesting.

Even more strange is the fact that I just bought a GT wagon and it has dual-zone. I'm in Canada so perhaps there are some country-specific variations. Dual-zone is also listed in the Subaru brochure as standard in the GT sedan and wagon. Tom

[quote name='Sub-attraction']I contacted Subaru (John Mergen)about the dual climate control and he advised me that it is only available on the limited versions, not even an option on the standard GT sedan OR wagon so this truly is interesting.[/quote] Kevin reported the same thing! I'm telling you...n00bs at the facotry! :lol:

[quote name='WRXTom']Even more strange is the fact that I just bought a GT wagon and it has dual-zone. I'm in Canada so perhaps there are some country-specific variations. Dual-zone is also listed in the Subaru brochure as standard in the GT sedan and wagon. Tom[/quote] In Canada, dual-zone is indeed standard on non-Limited GTs. I guess we'll see when our cars show up. Kevin

[quote name='nicd']We do not get the tire pressure monitor package in the GT LTDs as you guys in the US get. Kind of like the seat warmer thing between the US WRX and Canada ones.[/quote] Actually, only the H6 models get the tire pressure monitor in the US. The GT LTDs don't have them. Ken

I need to find out about this I will throw down right NOW if someone can verify that the standard 2.5GT Wagon comes with the dual climate control (because Im a notorious dial fiddler)

[quote name='Chapel']I need to find out about this I will throw down right NOW if someone can verify that the standard 2.5GT Wagon comes with the dual climate control (because Im a notorious dial fiddler)[/quote] As long as you don't throw UP right now, that will be fine by me. :)

Best case: SOA changed course after brochures when to press. Worse case: Assembly error that won't show up again in the future. I'm hoping it's the former. It would be funny if SOA came out and said "for the first 100 orders of the non-LTD we'll throw in a free climate control!"

[quote name='outahere'][quote name='je24'] I have not looked at the seats in a 2.5i, so unfortunately I cannot provide a comparison, but I did see the brown in the center sections of the seat this time (it was daylight). [/quote] What is your impression of the cloth interior? Rental car quality? Better than average? Handsome? Ugly?[/quote] First, I hope this does not double-post since it hung when I first submitted it. If so, sorry in advance. To me the cloth seat material appears similar but better than my 02 WRX, which in my opinion (neither) are nowhere near as nice as Honda (Accord) or Toyota cloth seats (my wife has an 04 Toyota Sienna AWD with cloth, and those seats are really nice - actually the entire interior is really well done). As far as the interior, I am not a big fan of black, which is all you can get in a non-Limited GT. Other than that, the interior is a major step up from a WRX. The one thing I thought was odd is that the lighting for the controls is an orange color (i.e., radio buttons, etc.), but the radio display (for the station) and the climate control display (temp, air flow, fan speed) are white/light gray on black. I think if everything were the same color it would look significantly better. I know this dual-zone climate control on non-Limited wagons is causing some issues without visual proof. I would have taken pictures of the interior during the test drives but my digital camera is currently missing. A relative took it to Florida about a month ago and it cannot be found, and we have not quite given up on finding it so I am holding off on getting another one. All I can say is that I have used the dual-zone and I was sitting on cloth seats. On the topic of the climate control, does anyone know if you can change both temperature zones with just one dial? The first drive in the evening it was pretty warm and I had to manually adjust both the driver and passenger zones to the lowest temp to get the air going (I guess I could have switched to manual, but when it is automatic, why not use it). The next drive was the reverse, where it was a cold, rainy morning and I needed to crank up the heat. I did not take the time to read the manual and the salesman did not accompany me on the drive, so I did not get an answer. It did not take long to change both temps, I was just curious. Jim

Nope, that's why it's dual zone. :D Actually, I'm really stoked there's going to be a manual dual-zone. It's just like my wife's 01 V70. In the Volvo at least, they say there can be an ~ 20-degree difference between sides. Not sure how accurate that is, but there will be lags like you experienced in overall temperature change if one side is set differently than the other. But like you noticed, it didn't take long to sort out. For me, it's one of those things that not an issue 90% of the time because the times you need that radical an adjustment aren't that frequent. And because you get used to it rather quickly even if you do have to make that change, it's really not a big deal.

[quote name='Chapel']I need to find out about this I will throw down right NOW if someone can verify that the standard 2.5GT Wagon comes with the dual climate control (because Im a notorious dial fiddler)[/quote] I posted earlier after contacting SOA that dual control is not available on standard GT. But hey, contact them yourselves and hear it from the horses mouth: [url]http://www.subaru.com/contact/contact/middle.jsp[/url] Maybe they will get tired of being questioned and just make it standard equipment on all models. My guess on the wagons mentioned above is the SIA mixed up production with Canadian models being produced at the same time.

[quote name='Sub-attraction'] I posted earlier after contacting SOA that dual control is not available on standard GT. But hey, contact them yourselves and hear it from the horses mouth: [/quote] yeah, i believe you, but Im wondering why some US models are getting them I may just have to head up to Canada to get my 2.5GT non-LTD Wagon :)

[quote name='Chapel'][quote name='Sub-attraction'] I posted earlier after contacting SOA that dual control is not available on standard GT. But hey, contact them yourselves and hear it from the horses mouth: [/quote] yeah, i believe you, but Im wondering why some US models are getting them I may just have to head up to Canada to get my 2.5GT non-LTD Wagon :)[/quote] That's not a bad idea. Throw a MPH cluster in and we're back in business.

[quote name='je24'] To me the cloth seat material appears similar but better than my 02 WRX, which in my opinion (neither) are nowhere near as nice as Honda (Accord) or Toyota cloth seats (my wife has an 04 Toyota Sienna AWD with cloth, and those seats are really nice - actually the entire interior is really well done). As far as the interior, I am not a big fan of black, which is all you can get in a non-Limited GT. Other than that, the interior is a major step up from a WRX. [/quote] Its a shame Subaru does not provide an upgraded cloth interior for the GT, with more than one color choice. I am not a huge fan of leather in cars.

Archived