LegacyGT.com

post your HIDed legacy, also color temp and watts : )

markc0220k

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's crazy how much you can see the return wire in the bulb on kits, looking at most of these pics it has really jumped out at me. I had a DDM 35w 5000k kit in my '05 till a ballast blew, now i'm thinking a partial retro with ds2 bulbs and i just need to find adapters.

EVERYBODY FILL YOUR SQUIRREL FINDERS!! glare = bad!

this thread is making me purchase some HID's in the next week or so.... can't wait to take pictures

as purpose of starting this thread, i hope we can help someone who is thinking/planning to buy HID. let he/she "preview" how the diff HID sys would look like on his/her legacy!

so bigb3630123, at what "K" you are going to buy? at what "w"? from what i observe so far (i work at night shift, so 80% i drive at night), the brightness (on the road) btw 4300k and 5000k are very close if not brighter. but 5000k seems just slightly whiter. if i could go back, i would pick 55w 4300k.

cheers,

mark

if your gonna go back buy 55w 5k. the stock lens and spacing on the shielding creates more of a yellowing to the output so 4300 will have a very slight yellowing to it where as the 5k will be more white and 6k will have a slight blue to it. My cousin runs 55w 8k in his LGT and it is obviously more blue and not white at all.

if your gonna go back buy 55w 5k. the stock lens and spacing on the shielding creates more of a yellowing to the output so 4300 will have a very slight yellowing to it where as the 5k will be more white and 6k will have a slight blue to it. My cousin runs 55w 8k in his LGT and it is obviously more blue and not white at all.

no wonder, i have few friends (T5R, STi, TL, 325i) with same 4300k 35w, my light on the ground is the most yellowish one, but when step back and look toward to the headlight, we all about the same!

ok, so what i can do? i 'd rotated the bulb, but looked no diff. shall i go for 5000k (but keep the 35w ballast) ?

thanks MiniStiGuy

(edited: if i recall correct, 325i should be euqiped with 4100k, and its light on the ground and mine are the most closest pair. but his still a bit more white than mine! )

no wonder, i have few friends (T5R, STi, TL, 325i) with same 4300k 35w, my light on the ground is the most yellowish one, but when step back and look toward to the headlight, we all about the same!

ok, so what i can do? i 'd rotated the bulb, but looked no diff. shall i go for 5000k (but keep the 35w ballast) ?

thanks MiniStiGuy

(edited: if i recall correct, 325i should be euqiped with 4100k, and its light on the ground and mine are the most closest pair. but his still a bit more white than mine! )

Most BMW's come with Osram bulbs which are rated at ~4100k. The reason the legacy looks slightly yellow is due to the lens and focal pattern of the projector bowl. Our lenses are fresnal so the light disipates with variations as it outputs through the lens. That with the increased central focal of the the light gives off the appearance of an even yellowier colour. There isn't much way around it with a stock setup other than to go with a higher rated Kelvin bulb. I myself run Phillips 85122+ bulbs which are rated at 5k and that picture i put up earlier is with them running on 35w ballast. The new 55w ballast I have give them a more energy throughput thus a colour change that will happen with any increase in power. I think a 6k 55w setup would probably satisfy most people while giving the same output of lumens as a 35w 4300k or 5k setup.

I'll try to get out tomorrow night with my cousin and do a comparo shot of my retro and his kit. We just have to find somewhere around here to do it is the only thing holding us back.

It seems like it took me long enough to get my headlight re-aim done again, but its done and here are some pics.

I am running with DDM 4500K bulbs, Xtec 35 watt ballasts and with Acura MDX optics.

The cutoff picture is pretty close (10 ft), and I the car is aiming up. but it gives you an idea of the cutoff. Its a little less sharp due to some oxidation on the shield.

The other pic is just in my ally here. Oddly enough, its one of the darker places near in my area. :spin:

cutoff_10ft.thumb.jpg.de7b25d1e1fe5bcb7b0b17b4f5d8371c.jpg

hids.thumb.jpg.f7058ff3e31616295361e3850b66c4ce.jpg

Archived